Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Exhaust brake

Exhaust brake
I have a 2005 Alpine coach 38ft with a 8.9 Cummins. What exhaust brake will this unit have? When I apply exhaust brake I feel it slow when coming to a stop. I then switch off and on accel eng has no power and blows black smoke on heavy accel. I made a stop for fuel for about 10 min and when I restarted started to drive, on accel if was working great until I use exhaust brake again. Same on accel no power black smoke. Any ideas on this
DClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. My guess is it's an exhaust brake that is in the exhaust right after the turbocharger. IMO Sounds like it needs lubrication with special lube for that type of brake. Best of luck on freeing it up. If you can't then a replacement may be needed. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #3

When was the last time you lubricated the exhaust brake with Pac Brake Exhaust Brake Lube?
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
I have a 8.3 which is a exhaust brake. If you have a 8.9? You can have a compression or exhaust brake.
I believe a compression brake will have a Hi and low off and on switch for the brake.
If it’s only a off or on then it should be a exhaust brake.
If you lift up the very heavy motor cover ( bed) you will see the air solenoid on the exaust pipe.
This will be the exhaust brake. It’s on top and very easy to see.
Try lubing it with very high temp grease or whatever the owner’s manual says.
If it’s a compression break? I would seek professional advice.
Good luck.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

Pacbrake sells a lube specifically for the very high temperature of exhaust brake parts.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

I have a VGT turbo and it is at Freightliner right now getting diag. will keep you updated.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

Interesting input on PAC-Brakes but none of it applies--2005 with the ISL 400 came with true "Jake" Brake. Its a Cummins engine --so not sure why you are at Freightliner--keep us post on what they tell you about Cummins.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Cummins vs. Freightliner

OS ... My personal preference for Cummins engine & Allison transmission repair would be Cummins and the store in Denver was excellent. I'm now in Arizona where the local Cummins shop has been identified in multiple posts as causing issues for Alpine owners. Therefore, I elected to take my coach to Freightliner and am very pleased thus far. I believe the costs for basic services has been slightly less than what I experienced in Denver.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #9

Agree-- the Cummins folks in Phoenix [Goodyear????] are not trustworthy....however, without prior knowledge of a maintenance facility, I would still be incline to take my Cummins engine problem to a Cummins shop.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

Exhaust Brake

Well got my RV back from Freightliner last week and what they check and found was a bad intake manifold pressure sensor. They replaced sensor and all is good. Jake brake is working no black smoke and have full power again. The reason why I took it to Freightliner of Corpus Christi was that the Cummins dealer does not work on RV's. I was very happy with Freightliner they got me in, diag concern, and order part that was needed. Was in and out in 2 days.

Tags
brake