Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

Exhaust manifold

Just a heads up for others, I am having to replace my exhaust manifold. It was a full circumferential crack. I noticed this as I was doing my maintenance prior to our Alaska trip. You cannot hear the difference, due to diesel rattle. Take a mirror and a light and stick your head in there and look around. I was concerned that this has probably been broken for a long time and took it to our local Cummins shop to have them determine that nothing else was damaged. They verified turbo, etc were OK. I would guess it was cracked for a long time, based on soot I could see on the engine parts.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Rich,
Very interesting, My 38.5 2002 Alpine is in the shop*now having the transmission oil changed and when they finished with the tranny the tech looked up and found the same circular crack in the manifold. I will pick up my rid this Friday. Total cost parts and labor...$1400.00. Oh well the joys of owning a great motorhome.

2002 Alpine 400ISL
Jeep Liberty

Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #3

Do a search on this forum--lots and lots of info and debate about the problem of leaking exhaust gaskets and cracked manifolds. No statistically significant data to prove/disprove this but IMHO, the number of heating and cooling cycles you put your engine thru may have a direct impact on the durability of the manifold. Suggestion-- let your engine run at idle during short rest stops and during refueling. Fewer starts on your starter motor and avoiding monemtary low oil pressure in the engine during starts have to be better for your engine and its starting components.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Just a heads up for others, I am having to replace my exhaust manifold. It was a full circumferential crack. I noticed this as I was doing my maintenance prior to our Alaska trip. You cannot hear the difference, due to diesel rattle. Take a mirror and a light and stick your head in there and look around. I was concerned that this has probably been broken for a long time and took it to our local Cummins shop to have them determine that nothing else was damaged. They verified turbo, etc were OK. I would guess it was cracked for a long time, based on soot I could see on the engine parts.
Hi Rich & Cork,

We have a 99 Alpine, 330 8.3 Cummins. It also has a cracked manifold. This seems to be rather common on this model. I am a retired trucker. My truck had 3.1 million miles on the original exhausr manifold, no cracks, (Caterpillar) My Cummins is broke at 60,000 miles WHY???
Mine has a small crack, probably goes all the way around, but the soot line is no more than 1/4 inch, crack can barley be felt, no excess soot or noise. To replace all the manifold parts, gaskets, studs and nuts, just over $600. per Cummins Northwest in Yalima Washington. Labor would depend upon how many studs break off in the head. My exhaust brake does not want to work either, its either electrical, or the damper is froze. Over $700. for replacement. PacBrake told me do not even thing about taking the brake apart to clean and replace it. It usually wants to bind up, now you have more problems. They say replacement is the only way to go. Good wishes with yours. Old trucker
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

I seem to recall hearing of aftermarket manifolds that are made of a better grade of iron. IIWMI'd look into that before having Cummins put another OEM manifold on. I like Cummins. Just saying.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

Old Trucker, don't know how you got that price for the manifold as it is normally $1000 just for the part. I must get to the West Coast next time I need repairs.

You can free the PacBrake if it is just the damper stuck in the bearing, just don't try to dis-assemble the piston.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Following up on EMs thoughts regarding an after-market option to the Cummins OEM manifold. Upon having our manifold replaced by Cummins a few years ago, I was shocked to see how flimsy the stock manifold looked in comparison to the rest of the engine. I also realized, atleast on our 03 anyway, how much weight was hanging off the manifold. Basically the entire turbo, and all the connecting pipes, air-intake and exhaust, were hanging/cantilevered off the side of the manifold. Between heating and cooling cycles and the weight/vibration of the pipes/turbo, the OEM manifold hardly looks substantial enough to stand up to what is expected of it--my two cents!!!!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Following up on EMs thoughts regarding an after-market option to the Cummins OEM manifold. Upon having our manifold replaced by Cummins a few years ago, I was shocked to see how flimsy the stock manifold looked in comparison to the rest of the engine. I also realized, atleast on our 03 anyway, how much weight was hanging off the manifold. Basically the entire turbo, and all the connecting pipes, air-intake and exhaust, were hanging/cantilevered off the side of the manifold. Between heating and cooling cycles and the weight/vibration of the pipes/turbo, the OEM manifold hardly looks substantial enough to stand up to what is expected of it--my two cents!!!!
I agree, there is a lot of stuff hanging there. Even though it is supported, you have to believe it contributes to the breaking of the exhaust.

I got the MH back last night. The exhaust manifold comes in two pieces, totaling $445. Add to that gaskets, screws and nuts. The fuel transfer pump was leaking and it ran $345. I was charged a total of seven hours of labor and I was certainly pleased with the service. I took it in late Tue afternoon and had it back Thur by close of business. The parts were overnighted. I am not unhappy. This is the first mechanical issue I have had in my eight years of ownership on this coach.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #9

Rich, for future reference could you give me the part # for the manifold you got. Cummins quoted me $1066. I assume you have the ISC engine.

Update. The $1066 turns out to be for a marine exhaust manifold so you can ignore that comment.
There seem to be some nice stainless steel manifolds for the ISB.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Apparently there was a 3-piece exhaust manifold available for the ISC to alleviate the expansion/contraction/cracking problem. I have no idea if it would work in a MH application, but try Googling Cummins P/N 3943841 just for grins.

The ISB in the Dodge trucks used a 1-piece manifold, and it is also subject to cracking. There are 2 and 3 piece aftermarket replacements available for the OEM ISB manifold from any number of aftermarket sources. With the smaller population of ISCs, I'm not sure if there are any 3 piece aftermarket manifolds available or not.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #11

The aftermarket manifold I was informed about was for an ISC, and reputedly based on an improved iron recipe. Don't know to what extent the casting was copied/modified. I'll see if I can scare up more specific detail from the rumorer (I was the rumoree in this case).
Old 03-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Just went through the manifold replacement. Original equipment was a 2 piece manifold and only one piece broke. It was suggested to replace both because of the age of the materials and different expansion rates to the two metals. Both pieces were under 400 bux.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Rich, for future reference could you give me the part # for the manifold you got. Cummins quoted me $1066. I assume you have the ISC engine.

Update. The $1066 turns out to be for a marine exhaust manifold so you can ignore that comment.
There seem to be some nice stainless steel manifolds for the ISB.
We have been away from home for a week and I left the receipt at home, so here are the numbers:

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Just went through the manifold replacement. Original equipment was a 2 piece manifold and only one piece broke. It was suggested to replace both because of the age of the materials and different expansion rates to the two metals. Both pieces were under 400 bux.

We also went thru this about 1 1/2 years ago. If my memory is correct, it was less than $700 parts and labor. I also had the turbo pulled off and checked. If bolts break off during disassembly you can add considerable more labor to the bill. I had an independent repair facility in Hemet do the work. There is a previous post to this subject of ex manifold costs.
One more thing, there is a flexible turbo oil line very close to where the manifold cracks. It gets a lot of heat and if it gets brittle it can be source of problems down the road. Cost is minimal to replace it.

beagle