Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Exhaust Manifold problems w/ Cummins

It seems that cracked exhaust manifolds is a common problem on the ISC engine. I was at the "Cummins Come Home Rally" in early Sept. I learned that Cummins is aware that they have a problem. I think if you call the number below, there may be some financial assistance if yours needs to be replaced . This number is not restricted to exhaust manifolds problems, but to any Cummins related problems. I do have a couple other personal Cummins people's numbers, but hesitate to post them all over the internet. Call Cummins at 800-diesels, if I can be of furthur assistance, contact me. old trucker

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

Old Trucker.....I have read before about cracked manifolds on ISC engines. Do you recall any type of comments made or info shared regarding typical mileage or age levels where the problem seems more likely to develop? Thanks for additional info you can pass along.....

Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

There have been numerous pages of discussion on this subject on iRV2 and other forums for that matter.
Go to the Cummins Forum and search "exhaust manifolds" and I'm sure you come up with a couple days of good bedtime reading.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Old Trucker.....I have read before about cracked manifolds on ISC engines. Do you recall any type of comments made or info shared regarding typical mileage or age levels where the problem seems more likely to develop? Thanks for additional info you can pass along.....
Hi Big Engine,

At the gear head session noted above and from other IRV2 comments on the subject, it seems that many are cracked in the 30,000 mile plus area. When I purchased my 99 model with 52,000 miles I did not look at the engine from under the bed. Point being, I am not sure if it was cracked at the time of purchase or not. But I did see the crack at 55,0000 miles.

It sems that the cost of parts and labor that I have seen costed agree with my wuote of $1300. This may vary with additional labor of broken stud bolts.
If you are having the problem, it is also a good time to do a thorough job of lubricating the pack brake. I am advised by the good folks at Pac Brake DO NOT DISSSASEMBLE, CLEAN AND ATTEMPT TO REASSEMBLE. I am told that the tolerances are close and they usualy stick and cause problems. There is also a new improved version of the brake available from PacBrake.

If I can be of furthur assistance, please advise. Old trucker
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #5

Old Trucker....Thanks much for the feedback. I haven't noticed any signs so far re cracked manifold, with our coach approaching 40,000 miles. Soon I'll get back there and give it a very thorough looksee. Hopefully, all will be OK and I won't be looking at another Winter project this off-season. Thanks again.....Heap.

Tags
cummins