Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #1

Dealer called today to give us the coach ETA.

Any suggestions about what to especially check for on the PDI (which includes a test drive) and on our first night in the coach? - we will spend the night in the dealer's camping area (full hookups).

I mean I'm sure there is no way we'll find everything right away, so I'm trying to prioritize.

This is our first class A motorhome. We have had a travel trailer before, so we understand some of the systems, but many more of the systems are totally new to us - including slides.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything in particular that you wished you had checked out before you left the dealer?

Audrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #2

Dealer called today to give us the coach ETA.

Any suggestions about what to especially check for on the PDI (which includes a test drive) and on our first night in the coach? - we will spend the night in the dealer's camping area (full hookups).

I mean I'm sure there is no way we'll find everything right away, so I'm trying to prioritize.

This is our first class A motorhome. We have had a travel trailer before, so we understand some of the systems, but many more of the systems are totally new to us - including slides.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything in particular that you wished you had checked out before you left the dealer?

Audrey

Old 04-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #3

Audrey and John these are the items that caused me the most time and headaches.

1. Verify the auto start system will start the gen when the thermostat calls for AC or heat pump.

2. Make sure the Hydro Hot is wired correctly. mine had the fans to the zones reversed. Turn on zone 1 and make sure hot air comes out. Turn zone 1 off and check zone 2.

3. Verify they have moved the bracket for the gen exhaust. Most 05's have it blocking the oil filter, adding 30 minutes to a service. Which adds up to about $50-$100 extra charge.

4.Enjoy and congratulations
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Congratulations Audrey & John:

Now that you have been told when you are due you need to get everything ready for the new arrival. You need to count all of the toes and fingers oh I am sorry, I mean you need to open every door look in every cabinet, push every button, move every switch and ask them what it does. You will forget most of it because we all do; it is too much information at one time. Take a lot of notes and ask a lot of questions. If the technician does know the answer, make him or her find out before you leave. Test the heaters, furnace, AC, Jake brake, cruise control, wipers/washers, horn, etc. The individual who preformed our walk through when we received our new Alpine knew less then we did. (The Dealer is now out of business) I ended up taking out all of the Manuals and read and re-read them to figure out how things worked and asked a lot of questions at knowledgeable service center. I would throw a switch and try to find out what it did. The hardest one was the switch which was marked "security" it operated the exterior light on the drivers side of the coach and the on and off switch on the water heater. That one is for the electric heat for the water heater.

If you have other questions do not hesitate to contact us on the forum and we will try to help.

Again Congratulations on the new arrival.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 AM   #5

Audrey & John,

We bought our RV from the same dealer you are buying yours from. (MHS) I have been following your post and am excited you are finally getting your new home. We would be happy for you to call us. I know we did not feel our walk thru was very organized. After reading all the post since then, I know we were too excited to ask the right questions.

We were told several time "You won't remember anyway" as to say, I don't have time to keep going over it.
We did not have a good understanding of the operation of the auto levelers and that is huge. Make sure you let it go thru the entire process.
We did not have all the manuals.
We did not have all the keys, took months to get more than one front door key.
We did not understand the operation of the invertor. DON'T TAKE "YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT" for an answer.
We did not have the door lock for the Frig. you may have a diff type but if you have the same as us and do not have the u shape key that fits over the top of the door handle, everything will fall out on the floor with only a slight turn.
We did not understand the AC opertation.

Our first trip was a 5 hour drive to Okla. Had aternator problems, invertor problems, Dash AC was not cooling, slide would not stay closed, holding tank monitor did not work. These are things you will only find on the road, so don't go too far from home the firsttime.
Check all the Shades, one of ours was installed to tight and it tore because it was hard to get up and down. WRV did replace it but after the first year you will get to buy a new one.

Have had several issues since then but I will tell you that WRV has repaired or replace EVERYTHING we came up with.

We have not take our coach back to the dealer we bought from after the first repairs. Have been taking it to United RV in Fort Worth. WRV did authorize them and I can say they really have great people there.

We live on Cedar Creek lake. If you are near hear, come by and we will help you.
Also, we are heading for California April 15th or so and will be spending the first few days in the Austin area visiting a daughter.

Lana
903 489 2157
Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 AM   #6

A & J
Congrats. I would suggest that you plan a two day trip away from the dealer with a planned return trip after the two days camping. This is where you will find all those things you can not figure out and those that do not work. s/Toby
Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Happy motoring!!

Your motorhome is a 2006 --- what is the year of chassis manufacture? Might be a 2004, or so?? Might be important -- something I"d want to know..

don
Old 04-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #8

Don - WRV builds their own chassis and builds to order. I've been in their plant and they don't have any stockpile of chassis sitting around. They have a pile of rails in the chassis building area, but they don't assemble the chassis until it is needed. Since the chassis is not shipped to WRV as a built component I suspect there is not a separate VIN for the chassis.

The build order for our unit clearly states that it is a 2006 so I'm not sure what I need to be concerned about.

Audrey
Old 04-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #9

Thanks for the great advice so far, it's extremely helpful (and keep it coming, we'll take as much input as we can gather).

I'm not surprised the MHSRV was not that organized. We'll try to keep it on track. We know it's impossible to figure it all out in such a short time.

Our plan is to spend the first night at the dealer's. That way we can exercise all the house functions (inverter, heating, air, generator, appliances, etc.) before driving away.

Then we will probably go to a park or two within an hour's drive (lots of lakes with public parks in the area) and exercise the unit more thoroughly then return to the dealer if necessary before bringing it home.

When we sold our travel trailer we just piled up all the furnishings and so we will load those into the jeep to take up to our motorhome. It should be enough stuff to get by with for a few days plus a couple of local runs to Walmart and groceries.

Home is only 2.5 hours away fortunately.

Now, do you guys know that the paint job of the 2006 is completely different? It looks like smoke curling out of an I-Dream-of-Genie bottle. It's quite striking and bold, and a total departure from the previous graphic design.

We'll post pics after we pick ours up.

Audrey

Lana - We're in Austin. You'll be here in your motorhome? Can we come visit you and your motorhome? I'll PM you with my phone and email.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #10

I've been vascilating between Country Coach & Alpine; here are a few walk-thru issues I'll be noting when I pick up our new coach, much of which came off this and other forums based on "issues" folks have had (swap WRV for CC, and Cummins for Cat where applicable):
- what indicates 2 driver a lost serp. or other belt?
- check all 6 tire air stems, wiggle for leaks
- overheat alarm 4 engine, tranny? auto-cutout?
- air compressor- can I inflate tire? Is there a tank? what does the parking brake knob do, dump air from lines only?
- what's a governor? where?
- whose is cruise system, CC, Cat or Allison?
- C9 ECU software? Laptop compatible? What cord needed?
- will coach run w/out air in bags (tires scrape)?
- whose system is dash air CC/Cat?
- what/where is the air dryer & what maintenance req'd @ what interval?
- who does brake service & what interval?
- gen auto-start for low bat?
- how to service gen? what service?
- fuel filter service process?
- Cat Authorized Service Facility not the same as a Cat Certified facility (no warranty service)?
- what coolers in radiator stack- rad., tranny, AC, others? How cooled? what kinds, routes of lines & where are these fabbed?
- type of engine coolant & service intervals, roadside inspections?
- what is covered under which warranty? Get specific breakdown list to use during checkout.
- chassis lube points (#) & interval
- can coach be towed w/trans in neutral & engine idling or need to remove drive shaft?
- get good look @ air compressor & hydraulic pump, these seem to fail on ISC units
- where is blow-by or equivalent?
- if alternator is bad, can I limp along running the gen?
- tire pressure req'mts?
- weight distribution & max added wt?
- work-around for a broke fuel solenoid?
- fuel lift pump location & type? in tank, rail?
- does ride height/alignment need checking/maintenance @ specific interval?
- Hydraulic brake fluid change interval & type?
- HydroHot maintencance req'mts & intervals?

To avoid some of the the customary shell shock/overload, you may want to email your preliminary concerns to the dealer so they can address as many back in an email as possible prior to walk-thru, or have the issues canned in a presentation to make it shorter & more to the point. I keep the above list in my PDA and add to it as I see or think up new issues (thanks to whoever invented writing!).
Alfa has a set of plastic-coated cue-cards for owners that come on a ring and are mini-cheat-sheets for the various systems (HVAC, levelling, gen, batteries, starting, Hydro-Hot etc.) that obviate need to memorize everything. It's one distinction in their value system that all coach sellers should copy ASAP to lower the cost of walk-thru's.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #11

A&J,
How did you pick exterior colors & int. decor for an '06? Dealers don't have any color boards yet. Just curious. Thanks. Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #12

Good Question! We pretty much ordered it sight unseen. Is that crazy or what!?!

We picked the closest thing to the 2005 color scheme that we liked which was Sherwood. We didn't care for gray and brown, we didn't care for gray and black, we didn't care for red and black, so that left a color we did like - green (Meadowlands).

But they did make significant changes in the color schemes from 2005. Alas, they had dismissed the dark green carpet and replaced with a creamy beige carpet (boring!). They went with a more neutral speckled beige countertop (also boring). Apparently the 2006 interior colors are very toned down from the 2005 choices. That's OK - we can add our own accents.

We did see the samples kit for our color scheme showing the carpet, fabrics and counter tops while our coach was being built. We were invited to change our minds at the last minute but decided we liked Meadowlands just fine. It's sort of a light olive green and cinnamon palette. Not too loud. We have all leather furniture so it's only the window trimmings and accent pillows/dining chairs that show the fabrics.

Exterior paint: They sent us exterior pics. It's very bold and was a bit of a shock at first, but now that we are used to it we think it's pretty awesome.

So yes, this was kind of insane because we were ordering blind. But after working with Ted on the 2005 color choices and samples we felt OK about going with his descriptions of the 2006 color scheme and we've seen enough pieces so far that we think we know how it's going to look when we see the coach.

Apparently it's quite unusual for a customer to have a custom order at this time of year.

Audrey
Old 04-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #13

Do you have photos of the 2006 exterior colors you could email me? I'm thinking of ordering soon as well.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #14

Audrey,

What made you decide to order a 2006 instead of buying a coach in someone's inventory? I'm trying to decide which way to go on that issue ...

And what dealer are you using? Do you also have a contact at the factory?

Thanks,
John