Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #1

Experience in Installing Surge Protector in 2000 36' Alpine

Has anyone had experience with installing a TRC 41260 Surge Protector in an early 36' Alpine? I bought one and looking under electrical cabinet its not apparent how to mount and wire it. Anyone done this?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #2

Not familiar with the TRC product--curious, did you consider the Progressive Industries model--lifetime warranty? Anyway, most owners install SPs in the basement near the cable reel or in proximity to the trans-fer switch [before or after--depending on whether they protect the genset or not].....good luck.

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Surge Protector

This model is a combination transfer switch and surge protector - I would remove old transfer switch and install this in its place.

Jim
Attached Images

onlakegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

Surge Guard products--1 year warranty--tell you something?
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenalpine View Post
Has anyone had experience with installing a TRC 41260 Surge Protector in an early 36' Alpine? I bought one and looking under electrical cabinet its not apparent how to mount and wire it. Anyone done this?
Thanks

I think I would take that unit back and get something more robust. That is a bare bones unit and has little surge protection, no miswiring protection, etc... I say this because that model is what is installed in my coach from the factory and I would not plug coach into any pedestal without additional protection. Others with more or less conviction may chime in here.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #6

My MH came with the SURGE GUARD as above. Talking with a Progressive IND sales girl at the 419 rally last year. Questioned about their (for 50amp) vs the Surge Guard. Said she was not sure, so we found a senior rep from the HR plant who was attending the show. After discussing with him, I bought the Progressive unit. Surge Guard is not as fully functional as the progressive unit. (I did all of this after researching on line) As the Surge Guard is also a transfer switch, I added the Progressive (surge guard unit) before the Surge Guard where the power comes into the unit. All works fine and I'm a happy happy fella.
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
The SurgeGuard Transfer switch does check for faulty wiring but it does not check for low or high voltage. Like Tom (above) I installed a Progressive before the Surge Guard for the best of both worlds.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #8

I use the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C on my 03 Allegro Bus. It locks to the power pedestal and has saved me from an open ground at the camp ground. No wiring to be done and it will go with me to my next rv. (If there happens to be one.)
Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
The SurgeGuard Transfer switch does check for faulty wiring but it does not check for low or high voltage. Like Tom (above) I installed a Progressive before the Surge Guard for the best of both worlds.
This summer we had electrical issues at our summer place. I watched the voltage rise on the Silverleaf on the right leg of the 50amp. When it got to 134 volts, the Surgeguard thunked and took power away from half the coach. When the voltage returned to a safe level, the Surgeguard allowed power to flow once again. I took photos of the Silverleaf screen and shared them with the maintenance crew to help troubleshoot.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Janet and Todd,
A Surgeguard WILL protect for high and low voltage but a Surgeguard Transfer Switch will not. All I am saying is: If you only have a Surgeguard Transfer Switch you are not protected from high and low voltages. You can also install a Suregeguard protector before the Surgeguard Transfer switch. I happen to install a Progressive unit.
I didn't know the Silverleaf screen would monitor the land lines?? Is this a special installation on the Alpine?? Just wondering.
>> Dennis
Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I don't think it's a special install. Here is the screen I was monitoring. The Surge Guard is highlighted in the background photo by Silverleaf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	78248  
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Janet and Todd,
Okay a little history. After I bought my first diesel I was at a campground in Chico CA that had an Alpine Rally and I really loved those motorhomes. It made me wonder if I had purchased the wrong one. Then, a sever years later I was in Utah at another campground and there was another Alpine Rally. I felt it was a real shame that company stopped producing such a fine product. I think what you are taking for granted is not available to all of us. Mighty nice to have a screen view of both lines in your motorhome. Just another example of Alpine's touch of class. Thanks for sharing.
>> Dennis
Old 11-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #13

Todd and Janet
The next time you are through Albany, stop at SL and they can personalize your menu screens. Bring in pictures of your family, dogs, or favorite National Park, etc.
Ed
Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

Todd and Janet
The next time you are through Albany, stop at SL and they can personalize your menu screens. Bring in pictures of your family, dogs, or favorite National Park, etc.
Ed

Tags
install