Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #1

As a consideration for those of us with extended service policies that run concurrent with WRV's limited warranty program I offer the following. I have a Good Sam CSP, Continued Service Policy, that I obtained in February 2007 when we bought the new 2006 36' FDTS. This policy is good through 2011, but it now appears that Good Sam's underwriter considers WRV's 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty to be in effect whether the company operates or not. Of course, the individual manufacturers cover a lot of components and systems on our coaches for various periods. The point is, say your component or system is covered for one year and it fails in thirteen months. Good Sam says WRV is still liable for the warranty until 3 years or 36,000 months. Only then would Good Sam have any responsibility. I told them as far as I was concerned WRV warrants the "box" and the "frame" upon which it sits; the various components and systems are the responsibility of the supplier/manufacturer and ultimately the agency that underwrites the extended service policy.

If there are any legal experts out there who have a copy of your WRV warranty and have an opinion as to what the intended coverage was supposed to be, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm also curious as to how other service plan companies are handling this situation. In the mean time, I've FAX'ed a copy of WRV's warranty to the Good Sam underwriter so that they can review its contents in detail before they make a final decision on who covers what. They did tell me that when National went belly-up they worked out a program to convert their "new coach extended plans" to a "used coach policy." These are sold on a year to year basis and the premium invested in the original plan would probably be prorated or adjusted into the "used" policy. In the case of WRV, any changes would be at the discretion of the underwriter and they gave my no time frame when this would be forthcoming. The bottom line is if you have one of these extended service policies on a coach less than three years old you should contact your underwriter to confirm the coverage that you believe is in effect.

Susan has an idea how to solve the problem; make the WRV warranty run out quickly. Let's see, we've got 6,000 miles on it now how long would it take to burn through another 30,000? That would show Good Sam a thing or two.

Dick and Susan Bunting
San Diego, CA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #2

As a consideration for those of us with extended service policies that run concurrent with WRV's limited warranty program I offer the following. I have a Good Sam CSP, Continued Service Policy, that I obtained in February 2007 when we bought the new 2006 36' FDTS. This policy is good through 2011, but it now appears that Good Sam's underwriter considers WRV's 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty to be in effect whether the company operates or not. Of course, the individual manufacturers cover a lot of components and systems on our coaches for various periods. The point is, say your component or system is covered for one year and it fails in thirteen months. Good Sam says WRV is still liable for the warranty until 3 years or 36,000 months. Only then would Good Sam have any responsibility. I told them as far as I was concerned WRV warrants the "box" and the "frame" upon which it sits; the various components and systems are the responsibility of the supplier/manufacturer and ultimately the agency that underwrites the extended service policy.

If there are any legal experts out there who have a copy of your WRV warranty and have an opinion as to what the intended coverage was supposed to be, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm also curious as to how other service plan companies are handling this situation. In the mean time, I've FAX'ed a copy of WRV's warranty to the Good Sam underwriter so that they can review its contents in detail before they make a final decision on who covers what. They did tell me that when National went belly-up they worked out a program to convert their "new coach extended plans" to a "used coach policy." These are sold on a year to year basis and the premium invested in the original plan would probably be prorated or adjusted into the "used" policy. In the case of WRV, any changes would be at the discretion of the underwriter and they gave my no time frame when this would be forthcoming. The bottom line is if you have one of these extended service policies on a coach less than three years old you should contact your underwriter to confirm the coverage that you believe is in effect.

Susan has an idea how to solve the problem; make the WRV warranty run out quickly. Let's see, we've got 6,000 miles on it now how long would it take to burn through another 30,000? That would show Good Sam a thing or two.

Dick and Susan Bunting
San Diego, CA

Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #3

I have just been through this experience. My radiator developed the same end-cap type leak as other have reported on this forum. I drove it from Corpus Christi, TX, where the leak first appeared, to Tacoma, WA, via Palm Springs with the leak. Leaked about two cups of coolant a day, most of it when the engine was shut down and it was cooling. I got a new replacement radiator from WRV last week but was not able to replace it until this week at the dealer in Tacoma, with WRV shut down. The radiator is warranted by Radiator Specialties for one year from the date of manufacture. We bought the coach new in May of 2006 and have 28,800 miles on it, and the radiator is well out of Radiator Specialties' warranty.

We have an extended warranty for 7 years or 100,000 miles from Monaco Coach that we purchased when we bought the coach. The Monaco warranty says that it picks up where the manufacturer's stops, but in the event the manufacturer is no longer in business, the extended warranty does not cover the coach until the manufacturer's warranty stops, e.g., when the coach has 36 months/36,000 miles. The Monaco people first told me that due to this clause the radiator is not covered because we have owned the coach less than 2 years and have less than 36,000 miles on it. Further, they argued the radiator was part of the drivetrain and that was covered by WRV under their chassis warranty.

I dug out the WRV warranty today from my owner's manual and pointed out the two key clauses on the front page -- 1)WRV's warranty does not cover components made by others; they are subject to the warranty of the component manufacturer (hence one year on the radiator), and 2)WRV does not cover the drivetrain in their chassis warranty, only the frame rails and crossmembers. After faxing the WRV warranty and reviewing these points with the Monaco warranty people today, they agreed to cover the costs of the radiator and installation.

So, Monaco's extended warranty appears to have the same clause as Good Sam's on coverage picking up at the end of the 3 year/36,000 mile period whether the manufacturer is in business or not, but WRV's warranty is explicit on what they cover, and components from others aren't part of it. So our extended warranty picks up where the component manufacturer's stops because of WRV's position in their limited warranty. I'm not a legal expert on these issues, or on Good Sam's warranty, but this is what worked for me.

And due to the rather expensive cost of the radiator replacement, I'm very pleased with Monaco for agreeing to cover it after they read WRV's warranty. I might seriously look at Monaco when it comes time to replace our coach (like when the extended warranty runs out!)
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #4

For those of you looking at an extended warrenty, I would advise reading the fine print very carefully. We have had Good Sam's CSP plan on a former coach and they paid out hassle-free when we had problems on 3 occassions. So, after purchasing our '02 Alpine in '04 from a private buyer who transfered their extended waranty (different company) to us, we were happy. We never had occasion to use it, but when it ran out a few months ago, we intended to get another CSP to cover it. Upon reading the fine print, we found a new clause (that was not in our former plan) stating something like (not an exact quote here)when submitting a claim, "owner must show proof that coach was maintained according to an 'extreme use' schedule, regardless of it's actual use, since new". Not surprising, they didn't question it's maintenance when offering the plan. Looked like a red flag to us as a way to deny payment. We've always maintained it at or before schedule, but can't prove anything that the former owner did, and couldn't get a definition of an 'extreme use schedule'.

Reeks of deception to me. Maybe other plans are better, but we opted to 'self-insure'.

Lois (& John) Miller
Old 04-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #5

For those of us who may have or will have a similar radiator leak problem:
Is there one source for a "off the shelf" replacement radiator or has the specifications, or is it up to the owner to find a shop that will custom fabricate a replacement
What is the approximate expense for labor & material to replace a failed radiator
Are the replacements identical to the OEM or are they an improved version

Also, has anyone had extended warranty experience with Warranty Experts? If so, are hassles to be expected of this company with any of the following:
paying claims
prorating a return to owner if policy is terminated
returning full purchase price if no claims during life of policy?

BTF
Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #6

FWIW on the Radiator Replacement:

When ours went out at 18 months, we discovered (to our shock and horror) that the radiator was only warranted for 1 year. We really had no idea that some of the engine components weren't covered by the 3 year warranty.

So for those of you with extended warranties, you should be covered as WRV or the radiator manufacturer only warranted the radiator 1 year. There are some other engine components only warranted for 2 years.

Audrey
Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

Bigfish, all I can tell you is I used them on my first coach and will never have an extended warranty again. Way too much hassle and outright failure to perform.

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #8

Bigfish, The latest Good Sam magazine has a letter about the company you're asking about. Also, do a search on my name for my experience with them - and disregard the last post I made - had to do it to get my premium back.
After all the dust settled, I went with CSP as I had a 3 year old coach with no factory coverage - a little pricey but I feel better - which is all that counts in my book.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #9

Bigfish,

Macs Radiator in Portland quoted me a custom radiator for the Alpine that is not aluminum for around $2800 to $3000. He said it would take a week to make and it helped if he had the old radiator to copy. He has made several for Alpines.

WRV did have replacement radiators from Radiator Specialties in stock that are heavier and beefier than the original; that's where I got mine last week. I paid a little less than Macs radiator wanted, since it was in stock, and since it was being covered by the extended warranty, I elected to take the replacement from Alpine.

Depending on who does it, labor can be between 7 and 10 hours to replace radiator. My warranty is paying for 7 1/2.

So if you assume $2800 for the radiator and 10 hours at $100/hour you have a $3800 job.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #10

Now that I know how many body parts (arm & leg) it takes to replace a radiator maybe I won't be caught by surprise. Also, it appears the outfit "Warranty Experts" are not to be trusted, it seems they have a penchant to take the money and run. With all the negative comments about their performance you would be money ahead to self insure instead of forking out the cash for their version of an extended warranty.
Thanks for the info folks, it gives me a leg up on these situations.
BTF
Old 04-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #11

I had purchased an extended warranty at the time of purchase from XtraRide. I have only used it once which was on the propane house heater and they were terrific. I have contacted them about the rear axle seal and they said no problem just have the service organization call them. So far so good.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #12

AS BEING IN THE BUISNESS FOR AL LONG TIME EXTENDED WARRENTY WILL DO ANYTHING TO DEYNIE THE CLAIM FROM ENGINE OIL BEING DIRTY TO DENYIE A CLAIM OM THE ROOR AC. AND YES AS FAR AS EXTENDED WARENTY IS CONCERNED WRV WARENTY MUST BE EXPIRED FOR THEM TO TAKE ACTION REGARDLESS OF THE SITUTATION.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Guaranty RV is offering an Extended Warranty through US Warranty Corp. I got a 5 year (from the original inservice date) for $1,800. less than quoted direct from the company. Bill Schrieber Director of Finance Guaranty RV Super Center, knew how best to write the contract for the most coverage at the best price.

US Warranty is the same one recommended to me by Karl & Kathy Nicholson.

Paul (Sully) & Dale Sullivan
'06 Apex

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #14

See my posting under "One of Monomoy's good ideas" for extended warranty comments. Harold

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote