Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
$17,000 is a bargain. We had checked out a used Monaco that needed a new engine and Monaco said it was a $28,000 engine replacement! Of course we passed on that one. Joe
I would think the Monaco was a diesel while this $17,000 was a gas model.
Also, I could be all wet in my thinking because I do all of my own work. Could be I need a reality check

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
It's the big ticket items that says to me: Get the Extended Warranty

Some big ticket items can easily cost $10k, $30k and even $50k

Well,,, as you know, it's an insurance policy.

Let's assume that the EW is primarily to prevent a large unexpected repair bill. The Real Poll should be how many people with a DP have had a catastrophic engine failure with a repair bill exceeding $12,000 in the last year. These EW cost, even for a basic one, at least $1200/year. So unless 1 out of 10 people have serious problem each year, you can see the true risk/reward. Suppose the Poll shows that only 1 out of 50 people have a repair bill exceeding $12,000 each year. That means there is a 2% chance of such a bill. On average, you would go 50 years without such an expense. Suppose you make it 15 years before your luck runs out. You have saved $18,000 in premiums, not counting interest. That would cover one of these misfortunes. My point is you can't just look at the size of the repair bill, whether it is $10K or $25K. What is the chance in any given year that you will suffer that type of loss?? Let's have a poll that gives real world data. (Exclude repairs for accidents/body, as that is a whole different type of insurance and we all have that anyway).

Old 08-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're worried about the 'Big Ticket' items, you are not alone, the ESP also worries about those, more than you and they probably have a full time legal team on retainer.
To say you need all your i,s dotted and T's crossed is an understatement.
If you change your own oil, you may not only have to keep your receipts for the oil and filters you may need to have your wife or someone video tape the entire maintenance task.
My ESP has already ran the question to the shop my motorhome is at, "How do we know this oil was put in this motorhome?" He also told me, they said something to the effect of "the burden of proof is on me". My cranshaft is broken.The GM dealer told me this was not an oil related failure, he said this was obviously a a manufacturing defect.
When I spoke to their customer service, they did not mention these things to me, but said some of my receipts were unreadable, possibly because of the loss of quality through the fax. I reminder her that their inspector not only inspected the MH but also the original receipts.
She wanted me to Fed X the originals to them. I said I did not want to do this for the obvious reason, so I E Mailed them. Haven't heard any thing since.
Not only does the ESP cost a lot of money, if you want it for the big ticket items, they will totally delay the work getting done, they dig their heals in and they will run you through the mill, but none of the decision makers will even speak to you. They relay their message thru the CS phone answerers.
I've never had a catastrophic failure before and I doubt if I will ever pay a dime extra for another ESP. If it was'nt such an enormous , $17,000 bill, I'd probably just pay it myself rather than go thru all this hassle.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #46

In over 38 years of RVing including over 10 years of fulltiming, and giving RV seminars, and asking questions, I have met only one person who had a blown engine. He bought a used motorhome and an Extended Warranty (ESP) and a couple of years later the engine blew.

The ESP company asked for the original copies of all engine service since the day the motorhome was bought by the first buyer. Since he bought the motorhome used he did not have receipts from the first owner. Claim denied!!!

I wonder how many people who bought used motorhomes have all receipts for service since the motorhome was first sold? I you don't have them your claim will probably be denied.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
Let's assume that the EW is primarily to prevent a large unexpected repair bill. The Real Poll should be how many people with a DP have had a catastrophic engine failure with a repair bill exceeding $12,000 in the last year. These EW cost, even for a basic one, at least $1200/year. So unless 1 out of 10 people have serious problem each year, you can see the true risk/reward. Suppose the Poll shows that only 1 out of 50 people have a repair bill exceeding $12,000 each year. That means there is a 2% chance of such a bill. On average, you would go 50 years without such an expense. Suppose you make it 15 years before your luck runs out. You have saved $18,000 in premiums, not counting interest. That would cover one of these misfortunes. My point is you can't just look at the size of the repair bill, whether it is $10K or $25K. What is the chance in any given year that you will suffer that type of loss?? Let's have a poll that gives real world data. (Exclude repairs for accidents/body, as that is a whole different type of insurance and we all have that anyway).
I carry a five year extended warranty. Cost was $2300 with the tire and wheel coverage. RV Elite Joe
Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #48

Monty & Janet and the Swans,

We specifically wanted a mid door coach in spite of some of the space trade offs. It makes sense to be able to enter directly into the living space rather than through the drivers space.

To the Swans, thank you for the info about Amazing Creations. They have solutions for exactly the space and use needs we have. We will definitely be in touch with them. Can we order and self-install or would we need to take our coach to them?

Dave & Susan Weber
'08 Alpine 40MD TS
Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Not knowing your specific situation, I will not advise against an "Extended Warranty" other than to say if you're going to get one, get it from a reputable source.

I bought a plan from Warranty Experts and when it came time to get their much touted refund they were gone. In fact, the parent company, Prizm Administrative Solutions, Inc.-RV Resources, is also gone.

You pay your money and take your chances.
This is exactly the reason I went with Good Sams. A breakdown warranty doesn't fix wear and tear. If I maintain the engine, trannie, etc and have proof of such maintainance, the GS warranty will cover it. We have a 9 year old coach and GS also covers the seals and gaskets in the engine compartment (new in 2010). We have not filed a claim; however after using their roadside assistance once, I'm convinced that I'd rather deal with a company I can get ahold of than 1 that has had the phone disconnected.

Good luck in your decision.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
I saw this theread and wanted to add my 2 cents even though it is rather old. The subject is always fresh though. I just renewed my extended warranty through www.americanroadsrv.com They have a link to Go RV Warranty and that is the best rates and the very best coverage. I also bought my insurance from them on my Camelot and saved a lot of $$$

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #51

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

Good luck with your new coach, may it bring you as much enjoyment as we have gotten. I spent 30 yrs in the Insurance Industry and never bought an extended warranty until 10 days after WRV folded. 6 weeks later the warranty company bought me a new radiator, but I understand that they are not covering them any more. When that plan expired I purchased a new one from Guaranty RV by national Interstate, my vehicle insurance carrier as well. No claims so far, but I sleep pretty well.

Again, enjoy your coach and we'll see you down the road.

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #52

I followed the post to www.americanroadsrv.com and got a quote for insurance and a warranty since mine was ending. The warranty had better coverage than my old one and the price was right. I could even make payments over the year with no interest or service charge... My insurance was with one of the companies they have and they advised me to stay put. They did give me some advice on the coverages that saved me some money though.
Will R
08 Monaco
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #53

My experience with an Extended Warranty company WAS good--among a few other things, we had to replace the intercooler on our 03 so we probably got our money back from the EW. Havent replaced the EW since it expired and am not sure general trends in the RV industry bode well for future EW claims. Unfortunately, you cant judge the quality/pricing of your EW until you have a major claim, and then its too late.

Really liked the earlier conversation about probability of catastrophic loss. Not unlike health care, it would be ideal if you could find a policy that let you pay for things like water pumps and door steps, and let them pay in the event of a major claim [kind of like a really high deductable]. Generally speaking, my fear about future EW pay-offs is that as the existing RV fleet ages, these EW companies have not set aside suficient capital reserves to cover future liabilities--sound familiar?????. Anyway, I suspect most EW companies will continue to pay-off on small claims to keep the natives from getting restless but God help you if you ever have a major claim. Not sure how well the EW industry is regulated but on the surface it sounds like something Bernie Madoff would have loved.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #54
M&J

All,

I just had the alternator fail in our 2007 Apex. I took the coach to Cummins NW in Coburg for the repair and they dealt with my extended warranty company on the repair. Cummins NW does not take payment from the extended warranty company as they have been burned in the past but they did a great job for me and took care of all the paperwork with my extended warranty company. I had to pay the bill and wait to be reimbursed by the extended warranty company. Two and a half weeks later I received the check from my extended warranty company for the exact amount Cummins noted I should receive.

Cummins also told me that it was probably the best company they had ever worked with. Wholesale Warranties is the company I purchased the policy through and I am very happy with them.

I just wanted to give everyone an update on my experience with our extended warranty since we just used it.

Hope everyone has a great summer!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #55

All,

My EW with Star RV expires on 15 July this year. I paid over $6000 for the contract when I purchased my coach in 2006. WRV went under owing me about $2300 that I paid when they said it would be reimbursed by WRV--check never came.

I have had the radiator replaced, the inverter replaced, and the cooling unit replaced in my refrigerator. Star RV picked up the cost with no complaints. I'm sure Star RV does not like me because they paid out a lot more that I paid for the contract.

Since my coach is now out of warrantee with Cummins (over 5 years), I shopped around for another EW. I found Eazy Care who quoted a nice number for 4 years and 48,000 miles. I had their contract reviewed by my RV service group who said they have had good experience with Eazy Care paying the repair costs. So, I am now covered for another 4 years.

sdcyclist
Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
sdcyclist,

What was the "nice number" that Eazy Care quoted you?

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote