RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Failed Charger/Inverter

I have a 2005 36' FDDS. Even though I am hooked up to shore power my house batteries have lost charge. It looks like the original stock units are still available. Has anyone had experience replacing? I am not an electrician and am not considering doing the job myself. Until I have a chance to get it in for service, is it possible to charge the batteries with an external charger? My batteries were recently replaced but I do not want them sitting completely discharged.

Jim57759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

Look for popped breakers on the inverter/charger case. That my be your problem.

Yes you can use a 10 to 20 amp automatics battery charger to get your batteries back up to full charge. Find the main positive and main negetive cables leaving the battery bank and connect it there.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

Yes, you can charge them with a stand-alone charger. A 30A charger could take a full day to bring them to a full charge. If the house bank isnít charging, neither is the chassis bank. Keep an eye on the voltage.

What is the voltage in the house bank?
Have you checked the inverter for a reset button?

There is a great deal of info here about inverter upgrades. Many have gone with a Magnum.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #4

I the issue began with batery replacement, I'd surely check for proper connections of all batteries as well as cable condition. There's also a large fuse above the batteries, on the rear wall, that should be checked. Alpines have somne unique design aspects, but also, competant service people are more rare every day.

One doesn't need to be an electrician, but basic skills with a meter and knowledge of simple electrical circuits can enhance the ownership experience with complicated RVs.

Many problems with our '07 were solved simply with a fuse change or by cleaning something. A jack problem was fixed by proper insertion of one (tested good) fuse on the control circuit board.

After the batteries charge, ensure the inverter powers the coach.

Hopefully you have all the owner's manuals, for either your or a tech's reference.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
I the issue began with batery replacement, I'd surely check for proper connections of all batteries as well as cable condition. There's also a large fuse above the batteries, on the rear wall, that should be checked. Alpines have somne unique design aspects, but also, competant service people are more rare every day.

One doesn't need to be an electrician, but basic skills with a meter and knowledge of simple electrical circuits can enhance the ownership experience with complicated RVs.

Many problems with our '07 were solved simply with a fuse change or by cleaning something. A jack problem was fixed by proper insertion of one (tested good) fuse on the control circuit board.

After the batteries charge, ensure the inverter powers the coach.

Hopefully you have all the owner's manuals, for either your or a tech's reference.
If you don't figure this out let me know....I'm changing out my Xantrex 2000 factory inverter next week and I'll make you a good deal if you need one
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter, led