Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #1

Fan controller

We have an 09 MDTS with the 425 ISL. We took it to Massey's in the Phoenix area to look at our fan controller. It appears to be a 2 speed controller - high and low (no off speed). When the power is disconnected, to defaults to high. They though it was designed this way to allow cooling of the AC condenser at start up. They said the fan motor is definitely different from the earlier 400 ISL.

Does anyone else with this motor have any input? It would be nice to not have the fan run all the time.

We also had to have a universal replaced at 18K. I guess that not that uncommon for the last few Alpines.

Bill and Sonia
40 MDTS
PitMan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Are you talking about the radiator fan controller or a fan that blows across the A/C condenser? A fan to cool the A/C condenser was most likely not a Cummins item, so it could be very different than another Cummins engine. If the fan controller is removed and inspected, I'd think markings on it could help identify it. If not, the motor power needs could be used to reverse engineer a replacement controller. A radiator fan usually runs all the time, an A/C condenser fan usually runs only when the A/C compressor is running. Both would have speed controllers to kick in a higher speed when temperature (radiator) goes up or possibly when A/C refrigerant pressure/temp goes up.

A bad universal joint could be a lack of lubrication or perhaps the air spring ride height is not set properly, causing the joint to be at the wrong angle. I'd check ride height against original specs to be sure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitMan51 View Post

Does anyone else with this motor have any input? It would be nice to not have the fan run all the time.

Bill and Sonia
40 MDTS
I don't think you will see any brand DP, that has the fan stop completely.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

....Bill, there are hours worth of reading on this issue on the forum--use"f104" in the search string along with fan motor to get started. Alpine fan controllers changed several time over the build cycle--first was the mechanical wax valve, then the electronic control, and apparently again with the 08s and 09s. Since 05, the electronic controllers have use a dash A/C interface to ensure some air flow over the radiator/condenser stack, even when the Cummins isn't calling for cooling....don't recall anyone saying fan was "two-speed" vs variable speed. Slow turn at idle, higher RPMs as engine warms, wide-open in the event of a controller failure......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #5

The fan appears to run at a constant speed regardless of engine RPM or temp. When the power is disconnected, the speed increases. That is why the tech thought it was designed to operate that way. I also wondered it that was an excuse to not deal with problem (took me 6 weeks to get an appointment). I’m guessing it is costing me MPG

The ride was way off (1.25” high in front) when we bought it, but I find it hard to buy that that small change in angle would cause it to fail completely (no bearings left)
Old 02-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #6

....need to get hooked up with Tris and Carolyn Swan--they just went thru this mess with their 2006/7? Your 09 may have / probably has a different fan/controller. Key is to find a repair shop that knows what they are doing--this issue can go wrong quickly and cost you some money if they don't know.... As for u-joints, grease every 3-5k miles and you may still have issues.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #7

Yes, U joints ARE very sensitive to rear ride height, as a small "out of spec" causes significant changes in drive line angle with that very short drive shaft.

If lubed properly and ride height is correct, U joints will go 100,000+ miles.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
PitMan51, I know of 5 late 2008 and 2009 Alpines that had driveline/u-joints failures under 20,000 miles, mine included. Yours makes 6. It appears they had a bad batch or were improperly greased upon assembly.

I've never paid close attention to my fan speed, I just know that it keeps my engine from over heating. I recall Engineer Mike say that his 2008 has two speeds "fast and way hellen fast". I'll start to pay more attention to mine and let you know.
2009 Alpine 36 MDDS 425hp #75798
Anchorage, AK
Taxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #9

Tom - thanks for the input. I suspect mine is working as designed.

Tags
fan