Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
FASS Fuel Pumps

Curious if any Alpines have added one of the FASS fuel pumps onto an ISC series Cummins. Been looking at that with the CAPS fuel pumps on there. If so seeing where you mounted and any roadblocks installing. At the very least want to add a secondary to mine as it only has the one.

Thanks
Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebelle View Post
Curious if any Alpines have added one of the FASS fuel pumps onto an ISC series Cummins. Been looking at that with the CAPS fuel pumps on there. If so seeing where you mounted and any roadblocks installing. At the very least want to add a secondary to mine as it only has the one.

Thanks
Bruce
I've looked at the FASS pumps for at least 6 years. I was looking because of my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado diesel. They Chevy fueling system is similar to the Cummins CPAS system, i.e., there is no lift pump. They sound great but they are expensive. I'll watch this thread to see if anybody has actually done this on their Alpine Coach. I looked at their webpage and I do not see a product listed specifically for the ISC engine.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #3

….pretty sure all models/engines w/Cummins on Alpines have lift pumps?????? At least my early 2003 [BOD Feb 2002] does......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, ISC's have lift pumps and the FASS pump bypasses the original oem block mounted affair. Following this post to see if any Alpine owners have upgraded and retained the primary filter in service bay with FASS secondary filter. Where best to mount it? That's my plan anyways...
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Read some threads here with others having Freightliner chassis and how they did this. Had a lot of good details/debates in there. Does not sound like the worst job to take on. Seems like good security for these engines with this type fuel pump arrangement

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...mp-458337.html

Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Well it looks like my original Carter lift pump took a dive. Threw a fault code 278, faulty lift pump circuit. Checked it out and the pump is getting initial key on 12v signal, but doing nothing. Thankfully made it home from Oregon with no issues. Just ordered a FASS TS Series D08100G pump/dual filter unit from Parleys Diesel.
($649, plus return line and fittings tbd)
Will follow up with completed installation pics in detail hopefully next week, for anyone interested.
Today I'll be mapping out an installation plan.
Stay safe peeps,
Mike
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Will follow up with completed installation pics in detail hopefully next week, for anyone interested.
Yes Mike, very interested.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #8

Mike, how the FASS install going? And, what did you decide on how to route the fuel return line?
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Mike, how the FASS install going? And, what did you decide on how to route the fuel return line?
It's due to arrive UPS tomorrow. Stay tuned, I promise to share the installation in detail...if I can figure out how to upload multiple pics in the correct orientation. That may be harder than the installation lol. May just attach a PDF of the whole process.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #10

Curious, you mention the need install a new return line to the main tank for the FASS pump.....would that be in addition to the existing return line [I think] from the CAPS injector pump????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 04-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout, yes, the FASS titanium series is a 100gph 15psi pump/dual filter affair and requires its own separate 1/2" fuel return line from the FASS pump back to the tank. It's designed to continually polish fuel back to the tank and supply positive fuel pressure to the Caps pump instead of the Caps pump pulling fuel from the tank under a negative pressure, or vacuum. I do not want to share the return line from the Caps pump to tank with the FASS for fear it may cause back pressure at the Caps pump.
My thoughts are to mount the FASS pump upstream as close to the fuel tank as possible and push fuel downstream to the Caps pump. Has anyone ever accessed the fuel lines coming out of an Alpine fuel tank? Tips, thoughts appreciated before I dive into this.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #12

….have not accessed the main tank connections but would guess that they are on top of, or near the top of, the tank...nor do I know if there are extra/spare connections on the tank....so at some point you may need to tap the existing return line anyway and add a check-value or like device......generally speaking, there is really poor access to the fuel tank on our Alpines...."suspect" you will have to drop the tank to gain access...."the plot thickens...."
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….have not accessed the main tank connections but would guess that they are on top of, or near the top of, the tank...nor do I know if there are extra/spare connections on the tank....so at some point you may need to tap the existing return line anyway and add a check-value or like device......generally speaking, there is really poor access to the fuel tank on our Alpines...."suspect" you will have to drop the tank to gain access...."the plot thickens...."
Well the new FASS pump arrived today, looks great and very high quality manufacturing. So today I started mapping out an installation plan. I followed the fuel lines forward trying to see where they went. Low and behold they they were, located at the forward end of the tank, fairly accessible with the generator slide out. No tank removal necessary, and best of all there's a spare 3/8" tank port to utilize for the fuel return line out of the FASS.
I have a plan I think you guys will approve of....from the KISS school of thinking. Suffice to say, this doesn't appear be too much of a major pain in the arse installation after all.
May take me a few days to get on this project due to other circumstances....stay tuned.

I will compile a parts list with installation pictures, promise.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 04-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
And there they are...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_151121.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	204.6 KB