Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Fast idle??

Talking with another member of our caravan to Newfoundland about diesels. He asked if I used the fast idle when starting up to get the air bags filled more rapidly. He turns the cruise control on and presses "set" and the idle goes from 750 to 1000. Tried it and nothing happened. Do we have such a feature, fast idle, on our coaches?
Thanks from Twillingate!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hi David,

I do pretty much the same: Turn On Cruise Control, put foot on accelerator pedal and rev to about 1,000 RPM. Press Set. The engine revs at about 1,000 RPM until I turn off the Cruise Control via the Smart Wheel button.

It sounds like your caravan member eliminates the step of 'putting foot on accelerator pedal'. I'll have to give that a try next time I'm in the rig.

Cheers!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Push cruise control "ON/OFF" and "SET" buttons at the same time on your Smart Wheel.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #4

On mine you don't need to push them at the same time. First the on/off button, and then either the set or resume button. No need to touch the accelerator pedal. But you do have to keep your foot off of the brake, of course. That would cancel out the cruise control.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My 05 works exactly the same as Jim's. Turn it on and push either the set or resume buttons. Just touch the brake to release or hit off.

By the way, if you have either a to high or to low idle, I have the procedure to reset the idle RPM from the driver's seat.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why fast idle? Problems? Dangers?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
My 2003 has an idle adjustment switch at the left control panel to change the idle speed. I'll have to try the CC too.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #8

Push off/on & then resume will give you 750. Hit resume again and you will go to 1000. Kick it off with the brake or turn the cruise control off.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Batman:

For speedier, noisier warm ups or cold weather.

Dangers? Don't redline it.....
Old 09-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Only one speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted III View Post
Push off/on & then resume will give you 750. Hit resume again and you will go to 1000. Kick it off with the brake or turn the cruise control off.
On my '01, cruise is on at engine start. No matter how many times I push resume it gives only 800. But that's not bad! Why is this an undocumented feature, I wonder -- not on the VIP smartwheel site either.
Batman: It fills the airbags faster.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

On my 400 ISL I don't have to push On and Set at the same time and don't put foot on accelerator to get to fast idle.

I recently posted with related question and some of these responses might be of interest to you:

How Long do You Wait before Using Fast Idle

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #12

When the oil pressure comes up I hit the resume button on the smart wheel and it goes to fast idle.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Fast Idle is a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D ABQ View Post
On my '01, cruise is on at engine start. No matter how many times I push resume it gives only 800. But that's not bad! Why is this an undocumented feature, I wonder -- not on the VIP smartwheel site either.
Batman: It fills the airbags faster.
It also does other desirable things, apparently. Go to the Cummins Engine Forum and read the thread: How long do you wait before using Fast Idle.

------------------------------

Here's a procedure I ran across that may -or may not - work with Alpines as it does with Monaco:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Here's a tidbit that some of yopu may not know. The engine idle on a Cummins with a SmartWheel can be set at the SmartWheel. I'm not talking about the fast idle, but everyday engine idle speed.

I thought I was having some issues for almost a year when I would come to a stop at a signal or pull into a campground and my coach would idle rough, shaking cabinets and doors. I found if I pushed on the accelerator a smidge, I could bring the idle up about 50 rpm and everything was smooth.

Just by accident I read a thread on how to adjust your idle on at least the ISL. When the cruise control is OFF, increase or decrease your idle speed by pushing on the SET to raise and the RES buttons to lower your idle speed. Each push raises or lowers your idle speed by 25 rpm. Once you have it set where you want it, turn the crusie control ON and it will permanently set the idle at that speed.

What I found over the years was that I would hit the SET button for fast idle, but hadn't turned the cruise control on. Unknowingly, I just lowered my idle speed by turning the cruise on and trying again. After doing this a few times I ended up with the rough idle.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
As mentioned read the thread on the Cummins engine forum. I have done lots of research on it, it's advantages and downfalls. I don't want to repeat myself here about it.

To turn it on - so no one is confused. Start coach, allow oil pressure to come up for 20 seconds or so, push the "ON" button and then the "SET" button on the smartwheel, and fast idle will start. Mine holds at around 900 RPM.