Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #1

The arm at the top of the door does not have a bolt or whatever connects the two pieces together - what kind does it use, if anyone knows. Also - seems the house batteries are having a hard time holding a charge - the rig has probably set for a while because the license plate ran out 6 of 06 - where do you get those hunking big huge batteries at? Does Les Schwab carry them - what are they called? They put in one of those new Xantrex? inverters - generator started yesterday when we picked it up but no pop to even crank it over this morning - not sure what's up with that - maybe batteries -- We didn't plan any trips until Memorial Day so we have some time to get it all tip top (for the moment). Great ride home from Portland - what a difference switching from gas to diesel --- looking forward to de bugging and having some great trips. Thanks for any tips - oh! just remembered - can anyone recommend a good Cummins shop in/near Tacoma? I'm sure it needs an oil change for engine and tranny. Thanks again.

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #2

The arm at the top of the door does not have a bolt or whatever connects the two pieces together - what kind does it use, if anyone knows. Also - seems the house batteries are having a hard time holding a charge - the rig has probably set for a while because the license plate ran out 6 of 06 - where do you get those hunking big huge batteries at? Does Les Schwab carry them - what are they called? They put in one of those new Xantrex? inverters - generator started yesterday when we picked it up but no pop to even crank it over this morning - not sure what's up with that - maybe batteries -- We didn't plan any trips until Memorial Day so we have some time to get it all tip top (for the moment). Great ride home from Portland - what a difference switching from gas to diesel --- looking forward to de bugging and having some great trips. Thanks for any tips - oh! just remembered - can anyone recommend a good Cummins shop in/near Tacoma? I'm sure it needs an oil change for engine and tranny. Thanks again.

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #3

You can get the starting 8D battery from Sam's club. The deep cycle 8D you can get from Interstate, but you will most likely have to order it.

I found on my 98 that it had two starting batteries and in addition the generator started from the house battery. So if you ran the house battery down you could not start the generator without starting the engine first. I traced down the generator positive wire and attached to the starting battery. I also found some loose ground wires where they attach to the frame.

Bill
Old 04-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
About the batteries, Les Schwab does carry them. They may need order the deep cycle (house) battery. For the house, you may want to consider using to hook up a couple of 6v golf cart batteries. There ia a good how to thread a few months back in these posts. As for a good Cummins facility, can't help, but... Walts Radiator and Muffler in Fife does the oil change work for all the RV dealers along that part of I-5. Ryan is the manager. I've had my rig there for oil change and lube, also they did some break work for me. Work was done right, no hassles or irritation. Take the Port of Tacoma exit, up and over I-5 and turn north (left) at the light. Hope this helps.

Jeff
'98 Alpine Coach
36'FDS
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #5

Virginia and Steve,
The "door arms" are part of a unit made by PTL Engineering. The center fastener is a rivet, so that it is thin enough to not drag on top of the door or at top of the door opening. Call WRV in Yakima; they can give you info on contacting PTL. I'm not near my coach, or I could get this info as I had to order a new unit for my coach. Installation and adjustment is a little tricky.

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #6

I'm thinking I may have to make a list and make an appt at the WRV repair location - I'll have to get my list together and give them a call. Thanks for all the advice. I would prefer Les Schwab for batteries. They have excellant service. We used them in the past for anything that we could on the Safari --

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #7

Viginia & Steve,

We have our coach serviced at Cummins NW in Renton. They are on Grady way (go north on 167, go under I-405), and turn left on Grady Way. They are about 1/2 mile west on the left side of Grady Way. I had my oil changed at Walt's in Fife once, but I used the Valvoline oil recommended by Cummins because Cummins NW was on strike. Walt's uses Union 76 oil. I prefer Cummins NW because if I need anything else looked at on the engine or tranny, they do that at the same time and can repair it for me; oil change cost was about the same as Walt's.

I am taking ours to Cummins NW today to get the differential oil changed, U-Joints checked, and a leaking valve cover gasket looked at or replaced.

If you take your coach to WRV for service you may have a long wait to get in, so you might want to look at local repair shops as well. I bought our coach from Holiday Motorhomes in Fife, and they are no longer an Alpine dealer buy they know Alpines and they have done very good work for me. The other alternative is to got Ulhman's south of Chehalis, who is the Alpine dealer that replaced Holiday, and has a good reputation, but you have to drive farther.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #8

Old Forester - would Cummins NW be able to service the Onan diesel generator also? Just in case the generator needs fixing - sure would be convenient to get it all done at one place. Thanks for the info.

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #9

Nevermind - answered my own question - DUH - looked Cummins NW up on the web - I think they are the ones we will head for --- thanks again for all the info --- couldn't have made our choice without all the excellant info on this forum!!!

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #10

Virginia & Steve,
If you contact Uhlman's RV in Chehalis, they could order the PTL door arm and install it a lot more quickly than waiting for an appointment at WRV. If you do this, be sure to tell them the model year, as there are "old" and "new" style arms.

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #11

Virginia and Steve,

I know you got your own answer; I am having my Onan generator serviced again at Cummins NW tomorrow when I change the differential oil and check the u-joints, and have them look at a leaking valve cover gasket.

Again, Uhlman's in Chehalis can order that PTL door arm and install it as Gary Smith said, but if you check with Holiday Motorhomes in Fife they may be able to do the same thing and save you a lot of driving.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #12

I have found the Cummins people in Yakima very good and worth the trip. They are not as busy or as crowded as Renton. You can tour the factory at the same time even if you don't have a service appt. Also the Yakima WRV service facility has power and spaces to spend the night. I also recommend only the dealer in Chehalis. (good people) I think I would have them look at the battery's.