Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #1

Fiberglass Roof Ripples

Just noticed ripples on each roof end extending from side of roof to cap that ties roof and side panels together. This appears on driver and passenger side, from and rear, but more on driver's front side on the roof portion that curves over the side. Roof not leaking anywhere that we can find. It appears to be a delamination problem. These areas appear spongy and hollow when tapped. Flat part of roof is fine. We have not noticed this previously. The MH is parked level, front AC running and draining properly. Very hot in Louisiana. 2005 36' TS front door.

Has anyone had this problem or a similar problem? If so, who fixed it, and what was the cause?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #2

I'm not certain that it would work on a RV roof but one of our boats had de-lamination on the front deck quite seriously. We drilled many holes in it and pumped epoxy resin into the deck, just enough to fill the voids. It was a lot of resin. When complete you could not tell it had ever been done but you could have used it for a bowling alley with elephants standing on it.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
This roof ripple problem was fairly common due to some design or manufacturing problem. I had it on my 2006 and the factory repaired it I think by grinding off the ripples, fiberglassing and repainting. I since have noticed another one and live with it.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #4

Ted &/or Basil's description will both work. We had the same on 06 coach @ factory delivery, tho they appeared quite hard (not hollow). Others on the factory assembly line had it also, tho a couple of in-process coaches already had black paint marks on the repairs that had been done. The body work was done within one day, tho w/paint it might have been two.

Later I heard of the problem occurring after the coach was in service for a time, as Lera indicates. If that happens to mine, I'll wait it out for a year or two before repair, as the "creep" might continue for a while, and only need to do that type of repair once IMO.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #5

Lera, we have had that repaired on our coach twice and are about to have it repaired again. This time we are using an aluminum strip that is made for that purpose. The coach goes in Monday and I will let you know how it works. I have actually used that before on another coach and it worked great!
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #6

Lyle- I'll be interested in that approach. I had a pucker in the PS roof return about 1/3 of the way forward of the rear corner about a month ago, but its gone now. There is a slight paint problem in its place. So I'm guessing I'll need to attend to that before too long.
Also, did you ever get a chance to look up the docs on repair of your SmartBed slides for the Tech Library? If you think of that, feel free to email me when you have time. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #7

Mike many coaches use the aluminum cap on the sides. It comes in a flat roll place it on the top and just bend it over the sides of the coach. I had requested WRV consider this from the gate but you know how that goes. If I am satisfied with the job I will tell you the results, cost and folks doing the repair.
Smart beds: Bobby simply cut the tabs off the rail pulled the bed out and replaced the bushings. Then he welded the tab back on. Works great. Joe Elwell has the bushings. It appears that only the front bushings need replacing. I am going to order more to do the rest of my smartbeds.
Any other questions let me know.
Datastorm #3481
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #8

Just two questions:
1) who is Joe Elwell, and
2) how do we get in contact with him?
thanks, E.M.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #9

Mike-Joe has a repair service in Ore/Wa. He was at the NoWACA rally in Yakima last year, and had purchased several things at the WRV auction. The phone # I have for him is not current. I have E-mailed him within the last few days, and have not yet gotten an answer. I will continue to try and contact him and will update you as to contact information when I get it.
Cath
Datastorm #3481
Old 08-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #10

Mike et al,
Joe Elwel's phone #503-551-9799 and his email is jwetrw@yahoo.com. If you have any more questions about the bushings or magic beds let me know.

Now about the roof. Our ripples on all four corners were pretty serious. The ripples had turned to cracks all the way through the fiberglass surface. McKay Truck & RV Center in Albany, OR did a tremendous fix for us. They removed the awnings and side screw covers, sanded down and repaired the cracks and then prepaired and layed shear cut metal on the roof over the sides. The Shear metal was applied in 4 pieces on each side to help with the flex of the coach. Then they painted the metal to match the coach. We did not have them carry the different colors up over the roof as before. That saved us over $600. They say that they could fix other coaches for about $3506 depending of the roof and the severity of the problem.

This is our second year at McKay's. They have fixed HWH problems, replaced roof AC, and the roof. Through it all they have been fantastic. Curteous, kind and the rest of the boy scout code. Their services include chassis services, engine repair, electrical systems, RV appliance repair, etc, etc, etc.

I would highly reccomend them to any of you that has any problem or service need.
Kevin & Dennis are the service people you would talk to. 541-928-3331
Tell them we said hi please.
Datastorm #3481
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #11

Its nice to have a recommendation of someone who is still reverent.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Our 05 has ripples on about 25% of both rear sides. So far it's just unusual looking but has not cracked. Anywhere in the SF Bay Area that has experience in this type of repair?
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

Central Valley RV Repair in Fresno (559-255-6188) repaired the ones on my "05.

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
How serious "Dollar wise" was this repair and what are the consequences of leaving the problem alone. Right now my problem is just cosmetic. If this is a real pricey repair repair maybe I'll just live with it.

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote