Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Filter and Fluid Change

I changed the fluid and filters in my Allison and here is a few notes on how it went. I bought all my parts locally. I paid $58 for the filter kit and $39 a gallon for Transynd fluid. I found pricing as high as $55 a gallon for fluid. I bought my supplies from UST in Portland. Also the part number for the filter kit for the 2" sump has changed. It is now 29548987 and 12548988 for the 4" sump.

I was very careful collecting the oil when I was draining it so that I would know exactly how much I removed. I was surprised that I only drained 14 quarts. I removed the lines going to the cooler and drained another quart there for a total of 15 quarts. I know I had the proper fill before I drained according to the fill level diagnostics on the shift counsel inside the coach. The instruction sheet that came with the filters said to refill 16 quarts and thats what I did. I won't be able to make a final check until I take it out and get it hot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrthor View Post
I changed the fluid and filters in my Allison and here is a few notes on how it went. I bought all my parts locally. I paid $58 for the filter kit and $39 a gallon for Transynd fluid. I found pricing as high as $55 a gallon for fluid. I bought my supplies from UST in Portland. Also the part number for the filter kit for the 2" sump has changed. It is now 29548987 and 12548988 for the 4" sump.

I was very careful collecting the oil when I was draining it so that I would know exactly how much I removed. I was surprised that I only drained 14 quarts. I removed the lines going to the cooler and drained another quart there for a total of 15 quarts. I know I had the proper fill before I drained according to the fill level diagnostics on the shift counsel inside the coach. The instruction sheet that came with the filters said to refill 16 quarts and thats what I did. I won't be able to make a final check until I take it out and get it hot.

Congrats on a job well done. Did you use a torque wrench on the filter cover bolts & drain plug?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

Steve, I did use a torque wrench on the cover bolts but my torque wrench does not go low enough for the drain plug so I winged it.

Cover Bolts 38-45 ft/lb
Drain Plug 18-24 ft/lb
Old 10-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #4

Since you are a DYI wrench turner, here is a recommendation for you:

http://www.checkfluid.com/sampling-v...st-series.html

You can install a valve like this on the Allison and it makes pulling a sample for analysis very quick and simple. I did this about 3 years ago & love it. I sample annually.

If you call JG Lube services, they have the valve & throwaway needles used to pull the sample. The install takes 10 minutes and is less than $30.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #5

That would make sampling very easy and quick. Just curious, how long have you been sampling and have you ever had a test that showed that fluid replacement was necessary.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
That would make sampling very easy and quick. Just curious, how long have you been sampling and have you ever had a test that showed that fluid replacement was necessary.

We purchased our coach at 3 years old in '06. I had a fluid/filter change by the dealer at that time. About one year later I did the change again so I would have 100% more or less of TES295. I started annual fluid testing in '09. Since then I changed the filters once. My opinion is that with a filters change at 3-4 years with a necessary top up, I doubt a total fluid change will ever be required. I do the annual analysis just to make sure nothing bad is going on in there.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

Thanks Steve, that is close to the maintenance strategy I was thinking about. Not being retired yet I won't be putting many miles per year on the coach so i was thinking of fluid testing every 2-3 years.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Steve, that is close to the maintenance strategy I was thinking about. Not being retired yet I won't be putting many miles per year on the coach so i was thinking of fluid testing every 2-3 years.

Sounds like a good plan. We retired & went full time 8 years ago hence the annual schedule.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Tags
fluid