Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #1

Finally got leaky jack fixed

I finally got my LH rear jack to stop leaking. This jack was replaced 3 times in the first 2 years of ownership. I finally had resorted to only using the jacks when absolutely necessary. The dealer replaced the jack once and HWH 2 times along with a new fitting.I also racked up 2500 miles in travel to the shops along with at least 5 days of waiting around for repairs.

After buying a set of 12 ton jack stands so I could safely work under the coach. I removed the LH rear jack. What a mess, the wife threw 2 sets of my work clothes out. After getting the jack and mounting area cleaned up. I installed a four foot section of hose on the jack and then reinstalled it. Accessing the top of the jack to install the hose is next to imposable and is probably why it never was fixed properly.

I suspected the joint between the original hose would leak and it did. I went to a local hydraulic shop and bought a field replaceable fitting $10 out the door. I cut the old fitting off with a carbide cutting wheel and installed the new fitting. I now have no leak!!!!. I plan on going back and buying a few more field replaceable fittings to keep on hand for an emergency. 2 fittings and a union could fix a failed hose.

I have read pros and cons on using field replaceable fittings and for the most part they work well. I will accept the risk to avoid removing 40 feet of hydraulic hose that routes through all sorts of hard to get at locations.

I purchased mine at a local Hufco store which is a Parker hose outlet. The Hufco part numbers were 2002-4 42SER-SOCKET and 0630-4-4 30 SER-FEM JIC swivel if anyone is interested.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

Wayne,

I am in Patterson, CA headed for southern Cal and AZ. Having trouble with the rear slide. The wardrobe slide will not go out on the forward side. Had a heck of a time getting it back in. It is still out about 3/4 of an inch on the rear edge. Can you or any other Alpine owner recommend a competent shop in the southland for HWH problems? My email address is: mvnekas@hotmail.com

John Mottola

Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

John,

Are you sure you don't have a leaking hydraulic hose, like many of us have had? Usually that's a leading cause, which causes the hydraulic cylinders on the slide rams to get out of sequence. They can be re-sequenced by disconnecting both cylinders and running the retract/extend switch back and forth a few times, to full extension/retraction. In the interim if you open the solenoid valve for the rear slide fully at the HWH pump/reservoir you can push the slide in the rest of the way. After you get it pushed in, close the valve or the slide will move out when you're driving.

The HWH certified technician I used in Palm Springs is Mike Flowerday --541-410-5555. You need to call him ahead of time because he is usually 4-5 days out on work.

What year and model is your coach? Would help if you added that in your signature line.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
John:

Welcome to (posting in) the forum!

Just in case you haven't tried it, did you add some hydraulic fluid to the reservoir? When mine gets low (due to a leak under the bed, again!) the last slide to deploy won't go completely out, especially if my jacks had to do much lifting.

I add a quart of fluid, run the slide in and out a couple times and viola!, all is well.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

When I started this post I was thinking about the leaking slide hoses and and thought a couple of the field replaceable fittings and a union sure would be handy. I am going back to the Hydraulic shop to get a few for my supply kit. If Murphy Law is play like usual I will never have a need for them.

As to who to call, I would start with HWH and get a list of recommended shops from them. Even though they could not fix my leaky jack they have always went out of their way to try and help me. HWH is a first class company.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the help. I did get in touch with an HWH tech and they walked me through the slide solenoid issues. I do have a bad hose in the wardrobe slide on my 2003 34 FDDS. I believe this was a common problem. After talking to HWH I was able to open the relief valves on the wardrobe solenoid valves and get the slide out. Tomorrow we will try pushing it back in and locking down the relief valve nuts. I may give Mike Flowerday a call as I will be in La Quinta Sunday for a week. The big concern is getting some of the hoses built or at least that is what I hear. Of course, this is one of the most difficult hoses to get to and exchange out. Thanks again for the help. At least we can go down the road.

John
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #7

We used Redlands Truck to add a section of hydrolic line to a section that was too short and leaking in the rear compartment. They did an excellent job and after having an ongoing leak for three years and being told we had to replace the whole line, front to back, they just added to the line and we haven't had a drop of fluid since. Keeping out fingers crossed but we would swear by their work.
Gary & Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #8

IIWM I would put a short piece of (high quality) new hose on the slide cylinder along with a new fitting and then cut the old hose in an easily accessible area and add a couple of fittings and a union. Obviously the new section of hose would need to be long enough to get to the splice area.

Sounds like Redlands truck would be a good option if your not the DIY type. They sure have gotten a lot of great endorsements from other Alpine owners that frequent this site.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

An outfit that has many local outlets and mobile units in many locations across the country is www.pirtekusa.com, who supplies hoses, fittings, mobile hydraulic repair. When it is as simple as a hose, I'd try them as my first resource.

Wayne's fix is very encouraging as many of the leak problems occur right at the fitting crimp. Wanye- when you get the spares, would you grace us w/a photo?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #10

I will go pick them up Monday and post pictures.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #11

This is the fitting installed and the black hose is the new 4 foot hose I installed on the jack prior to installing the jack. I did it this way because access to the top of the jack after it is installed is next to imposable. That is probably why 4 different jacks leaked after being installed in the LH rear position.

This is a picture of a field replaceable fitting.

After cutting the old fitting off with a carbide wheel. The female fitting (top fitting in picture) is installed on the hose first in a counterclockwise direction. It goes onto the hose about 1 inch. I held the hose with vise grips after wrapping the hose in a shop towel.

The male fitting is then treaded into the female fitting and hose in a clockwise direction. Be sure to hold the female fitting with a wrench while tightening the male fitting.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the nice writeup and pictures Wayne. I don't have an Alpine, but this is great information for anyone who likes to DIY. I had no idea that a fitting like the one you used was available for field fixes.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #13

I expect this DIY'able fix, now that it is known, will save many tens of thousands of dollars monkeying around w/hose replacements over future years.
Thanks Wayne.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #14

This is good link on how to install these fittings along with a discussion about them.

Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial - TractorByNet.com