RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #1

Finally, wiper success

I have done many repairs and upgrades to my 2003 Alpine in the last 5 years. Every one of them has ended in me feeling that I had accomplished my goal. All but one. For 5 years I have been fighting a problem with my windshield wipers. As i'm driving they would turn on by themselves. This was a real nuisance especially when your windshield if full of bugs and the wipers smear them across your field of vision. I spent hours researching this problem on line. I replaced the control box and steering wheel buttons. No luck. Took the entire steering column apart looking for a pinched or worn wire, No luck. Unplugged all connections that I could find and cleaned them, No luck. I called the manufacturer, they outsourced their trouble shooting to an independent company that wanted me to send them all components for testing, several hundred dollars with no guarantees. As I was telling my friend Greg, (retired electrician) my wiper woes, he told me about a well hidden plug that connects the system to the wiper motor. I found it on the outside of the firewall, tucked way up under the dash, near the wiper motor. All looked good, and it was solidly plugged in. I took it apart, blew it out, packed it with electrical grease, and plugged it back in. It has been 3 months and several trips since, and my problem is gone. Thanks Greg.

In doing my research, I ran into many people that have had this same problem. I hope this possible solution will work for you as well.

ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Good Stuff Fred
Thanks

lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

When I was packing up the automotive part of the shop before we hit the road, I grabbed my big tube of dialectric grease. Your story just confirms it's a good practice to put a little on any connections I work with, especially those exposed to the elements.

So where is this plug? Got a picture? lol
Maybe I should just get up front and grease them all up.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Alpineer, have a problem when select the delayed option it only works for a few minutes then it stops until i restart it again. Still haven't figured the problem out.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #5

My wipers also acted this way before I blew out and greased that connection. Just follow the wiper motor down to the plug, you can't miss it.
ALPINEER is offline   Reply With Quote