Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

First time Winterizing

I have a 30x50 enclosed shop that our coach will be Wintering in.I wanted to list all that I've done in preparation. Please point out anything that I've missed.I plan on leaving the coach plugged in all winter with the slides in.
1.Filled the fuel tank(Winter blend).
2.Turned off propane tank.
3.Covered all vents.
4.Drained fresh,gray and black holding tanks.
5.Drained the hot water tank,opened low point drains and ran the pump for 30 seconds with all valves open.
6.Closed the valve to the ice maker and disconnected the water line that leads to the ice maker.
7.Ran the pink stuff down all the P traps.
8.Still trying to get the under the sink water filter off(anyone else have a problem with theirs).
9.Winterized windshield reservoir tank.
10.I water the house batteries every month and leave a trickle charger on the coach batteries.
11.Drained outside and inside hand shower nozzles and treated the toilet water flush seal (silicone).
I do not heat the shop and I have seen it get down to 32 degrees inside.
Have I missed anything.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #2

Wish I had you with me when I did mine. Good list and thanks cause I missed the pump.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #3

You did not get rid of the water in the pipes when you ran the water pump. You either need to blow air through all the pipes via the city inlet connection or you need to pump antifreeze via the pump. But if the lowest temp you have seen inside is 32 degrees why even bother. I have a friend who like you has covered storage and his coach is ready to hit the road all winter. You should leave a roof vent open to let air circulate inside.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

Mouse traps in various locations. I tie a foot of surveyor's tape to each to remind me where they are, and to allow me to pick up a "full" one without touching the trap.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

You need to consider the following actions in addition to your list:

I recommend you blow out the entire system until you only get a little mist out of every fawcett, shower head, toilet, & sprayer.

You need to leave the ice maker line hooked up and blow it out using the water dispenser. I use an open hose laying all the way out of the coach to hold under the water dispenser to drain all the water out through the line, tank & filter. It still gets a little messy but much better than just using a glass. I have to take the tank loose and turn it upside down to get the air pressure to push the water out.

If you have a washing machine, be sure to run a cycle on cold & hot for a few seconds to push the water out. Pour anti-freeze into the tub and run the rinse / drain cycle.

I take loose the input and output lines on the water pump and drain the water AFTER blowing out the system. I've left these lines on in the past without a problem but not anymore.

If you're not going to pump RV anti-freeze through the system (I don't), then blowing it out is pretty much the only safe means of winterizing the entire water system.

I also assume you clean out the water heater and not just drain it. And, you checked & cleaned the anode or replaced it. The previous owner had NEVER cleaned mine ... the electrical element developed a short to ground from corrosion ... and the check valve on the rear of the tank broke causing it to block hot water output. It's amazing how much "stuff" collects in those tanks!

Hope this helps ...
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

A good test to see how much water I missed would be to blow the lines maybe 40 psi? One of the first things I did after buying the coach was clean out the water heater, the anode was just a rusty little rod so I replaced it and the pressure relief valve. Your right about how much junk can be in the tank. I showed the wife all the crud that came out and she said that she can't help but remember it at every shower.When it comes to mouse traps my shop floor is like a mine field. I'm after them 365 days a year.We have voles out here and they can make life miserable if they get into any wiring.So the ice maker and the sink filtered water dispenser are tied in on the same line? We will never use either of them for drinking so I think after blowing that line I will leave that valve closed (the one behind the utility bay cover). Even though I sanitize the fresh water tank we still won't drink from it, we will cook and shower with it only. Thanks for the help and info.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
You'll be surprised at how much water sits in the lines. I've used as high as 65 psi which is what the water pump (ShurFlo 5.7 Smartsensor) can put out. I would think that 40 - 45 would do the trick but let it run until only a little mist is coming out.

My coach has a 1/4" water line that comes from behind the removable panel in the service bay and employs a shutoff valve. The dispenser on the sink is connected directly to the sink water lines.

I think you're ultimately on the right track! BTW, I've had the water line behind the refrigerator chewed up by a field mouse. Although that happened when a local vendor was repairing fire damage and left the front door open all the time. No problem since but I use "sticky traps" in the compartments and inside by the fridge when stored.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

I have over a dozen mini T-Rex mouse traps.Very easy to set and I have never had an empty sprung trap or a bloody mess. My theory is if they can get by my outside shop traps and inside traps, well then it would be time for plan B.(all out war).