Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #1

First timer... Looking at a used Alpine...

And I'm hoping I can get some advice and thoughts from experienced owners. The coach we're looking at is a 2007 Limited Series 40fdqs SE - #75726.

It looks nice, it rides like a dream - but I'm wondering if this is too much coach for first timers. We are really new - like, we have driven two, and looked at a lot - but that's it. I have tons of questions - some excitement and some trepidation... this is an investment.

As background on us - we've been married over 20 years, still hold full time jobs; but could do the jobs from the coach as well as from home (there are some advantages to being computer geeks). Have 2 norwich terriers, that go everywhere with us.

Any and all input is appreciated... both on the coach and the life style. And anything else you might think is relevant!?!?
mtknorwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Too much coach for first-timers? I'd say, assuming it's in your budget and you like the floorplan and it fits your needs, that you can never buy too much coach. Get what you want, don't compromise unless you have to (too expensive, etc).
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

You will adapt very quickly to the length. I would be more concerned with the condition of the coach. Also, service records would be nice. Recommend an inspection by a certified rv tech.
Happy rving to you!
Alex
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtknorwich View Post
... this is an investment.
The first thing I would tell you is to not look at this as an investment. At least not as a money making investment! There is a pretty good chance that your coach will be worth considerably less when you decide to sell it. They depreciate fast!

It isn't a good way to save travel costs, staying in a coach instead of flying and staying in nice hotels. More enjoyable? For us, yes. Cheaper???? We would rather spend a month in the RV than a week on a cruise, or a week in a time share on Hawaii. We also enjoy little pre-planning. No schedule for the most part.

Instead we look at it as the price we are willing to pay to live the lifestyle we want to live. We bought our coach new near the peak of prices. We had no illusions about being able to sell it for nearly what we have in it.

Make sure it is truly within your budget. Not just paying for the coach itself. RV parks cost money, even public campgrounds. They can add up if you are on the road a lot. Diesel fuel costs money. Neither is likely to come down all that much. Repairs cost money. Storage costs money, at least here is southern CA.

We also had the advantage of owning two smaller coaches before this one. Those convinced us that the lifestyle was one we wanted, and worth spending our hard earned money to purse it. It isn't for everyone by any means.

If we had it to do all over again, would we? Definitely!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtrike View Post
You will adapt very quickly to the length. I would be more concerned with the condition of the coach. Also, service records would be nice. Recommend an inspection by a certified rv tech.
The condition of the coach, from what I can see, is great. The service logs are with the coach. Other than the dealer we are buying it from, where can we find a certified rv tech to have look at the coach. I think this is a really good idea.
mtknorwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #6

I can appreciate your thinking that this is an "investment" -- not in the sense that you will make any money on this deal but in the sense that this is a large amount of money to pay for a lifestyle that many love but some will/do not. Every brand of coach and often many coaches within brands have very different track records for reliability and performance. A couple of nights of reviewing this forum will give you some insight into Alpine coaches within year groups/models. If you do intend to buy from a dealer, you may get some sense of security about them standing behind the sale [this may or may not be true]. About the only thing you can count on from a dealer is that most certainly you will pay more than if you buy from a private owner. In either case, you can mitigate your risk with third party inspections and extended maintenance warranties--even here, opinions vary....good luck.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If you are in the market for an '07,and interested in purchacing from a private party, let me know. I talked to a fellow this weekend who is selling his due to health issues.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
mtknorwich,

We were much like you 8 years ago. Went from a tent to our 2000 Alpine. Although it did take a little time to get used to the size, the Alpine is one of the best handling coaches out there.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and we haves great library for reference.

For Patty and I to substantiate this purchase, we decided we had to use it at least two weekends a month. We did better than that. Like Jim, I would rather sit behind the wheel of our Alpine, than fly to our destination. It is a great lifestyle that doesn't always come inexpensively.

Everyone has given good advice. Keep asking questions!!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #9

I agree if the the other comments. I have 75723 also a 40 footer and we love it. This is my third new pusher we have bought. Went from a 34 to a 36 to a 40. Anyway you look at it, it will cost you money. In my opinion, you probably could lose less money by buying this one if you could afford it, rather than buying smaller ones and moving up.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote