Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Flat screen TV

Has anyone put a flat screen up front. I would like to upgrade but space is at a premium. 25" x 21" is the area. Kind of tight. Thanks.

Davenlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put in a 32" one with a swing arm mount

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the 25" is width. Most 24" LED's will fit.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

The short answer to your question is yes. Go to "search" toward the top of the page and search "TV" . You will get more reading than you need.
I put a 36" in mine and it was well worth the time.
Good Luck
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Woring on this project today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlsn View Post
Has anyone put a flat screen up front. I would like to upgrade but space is at a premium. 25" x 21" is the area. Kind of tight. Thanks.
I am in the process of installing a 39" Samsung (36" x 21")where the old 19" came out of( Replacing front TV ) I was going to stick with a TV that was under 26" due to the two side compartment doors having to be opened, but I wanted more height to cover the old frame work from the old TV, so I went with the 39" that covers the height problem really good and installing on a heavy duty 30" swing mount so it can be moved easily for compartment excess and the old hole will be finished inside and used for DVD and movie storage.
I am glad I went with the bigger TV for sure now.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed a 32" LED on a swing arm mount. Also secured two wide strips of velcro to the mounting board to help secure T.V. during travel.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Remove what you have then look at mounting and finishing options. The only tricks are getting the mount secured to support the weight and for travel. Then the new TV mounted on the mount you want, flat, or articulating, swing etc. And then finishing everything so it looks nice.

Flat TV's are not very heavy but they are subjected to forces when traveling so your mount needs to take that into consideration.

Go out shopping and get the largest TV you can for your space. Easy and fun.

I replaced two CRT TV's with flat screens and added one additional in the basement. Each mount is different and based on the situation in the area I was mounting in or to.

Up front I braced a 3/4 piece of plywood in the space and used the old mount for an anchoring point for the new mount. I used a flat mount, then just trimmed the area. I had to allow for removal etc but still not a huge challenge. In the rear I used an articulating mount and I found a cross brace in the wall of the space to secure some ply to use for the TV mount. It articulates back into a cabinet and I added a door. In the basement I built a drawer and it slides out and tips and down to expose the TV. So three differing solutions, three different areas.

Once you take a look it is not that complicated usually. Keep asking questions if you need help lots of people have made this modification.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
It might be nice to angle the tv downward slightly for a better viewing angle when you are seated.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

All good ideas here--most TV measurements are on the diagonal so a 25" space may accommodate a 26" TV--if they make them. Anyway, we mounted a 28" Visio in the front space between the two side cabinet doors [03MTDTS] IIRC, the 28 fits perfectly between the two cabinet doors. I mounted a 2x6 to the drivers side wall of the existing TV opening to secure a swing arm TV mount which allows for both tilt and movement. I then used rubber spacer pads and a mesh strap [from the back side of the swing arm] to secure it for travel. Original idea was to use the area behind the flat screen for storage but we really havent found the need to do so. I know some folks have modified [cut] one of the cabinet doors to allow for a larger TV but we have found that a 28" is probably large enough--I am sure opinions will vary!!!!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #10

I replaced our front TV with a 40 inch samsung HD. I removed eveything and started over. Surround Sound Not Working
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am in the process of installing a 39" Samsung (36" x 21")where the old 19" came out of( Replacing front TV ) I was going to stick with a TV that was under 26" due to the two side compartment doors having to be opened, but I wanted more height to cover the old frame work from the old TV, so I went with the 39" that covers the height problem really good and installing on a heavy duty 30" swing mount so it can be moved easily for compartment excess and the old hole will be finished inside and used for DVD and movie storage. I am glad I went with the bigger TV for sure now.
I have not made the change yet but have scoped it and plan to do similar. What mount did you use?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #12

More Options

Here are some more options from several forum members. I went with a TV lift on the passenger side of my 39" DP with a 42" TV. My install starts on post 63.The head-banger is finally GONE!
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here are some more options from several forum members. I went with a TV lift on the passenger side of my 39" DP with a 42" TV. My install starts on post 63.The head-banger is finally GONE!

X2 ... before you do a front flatscreen, carefully consider the possibility of a mid-cabin TV (and convert the front cabinet to storage).
Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ordered from wal-mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have not made the change yet but have scoped it and plan to do similar. What mount did you use?
I ordered a couple of them, this one Omnimount VB60C Medium Full Motion TV Mounts - Walmart.com had the most extension reach as to get into my side compartments. Got it mounted today(photo's to come) and have to finish up on how I am going to secure it for travel.......Velcro......maybe.

Tags
scr