Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #1

Flex hose from sink split

The flex hose from sink came apart at the connection to the stand pipe
between the shower and slide. The break occured at the point where the
PVC flex pipe was glued into the PVC fitting that was glued to the ABS stand pipe. So far have not figured out an easy fix.

2007 SE
36 FDTS
Mdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Mine has a flex hose between these two pieces. If yours does not, I would try this. Re-glueing a fitting that has ben used before usually doesn't work very well and ABS to PVC is never a great joint. Epoxy a new short piece of pipe into the fitting in the wall. Glue a coupling between this new pipe and the old pipe. (cut of the section of old pipe with glue on it, to fresh pipe.) You could also use a rubber flex connector with clamps, instead of the glued coupling.

Try to use the same kind of pipe when doing a glue joint. If you have to glue ABS to PVC, make sure to get the glue made for this purpose, not one that is made for just one of these materials.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If that is standard 1 1/4" sink drain pipe I might have a substitute flex hose that is very easy to obtain and attach

You will need

Two hose clamps
One 1 1/4" Radiator hose

NOTE: this will not last forever.. I think I got like 5 years out of the one I put on my parent's laundry tub.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #4

I had that problem last year and it was the rubber coupling that had cracked. Replaced it. The hose still came out It will still come loose on me once in a while. I have gotten in the habit of looking each time (most) I open the slide to make sure it is connected. Wonder if the flexible hose has gotten stiffer over age (could make a comment, but should keep it clean ). To relieve the stress on the joint I cut the cabinet right where it contacts the fitting with the slide extended. It seems to help.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Flex PVC does get rigid with age.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #6

mac
Mine broke last year, sounds like in the same location. I used a mission clamp.
Rubber sleeve with a stainless clamp over the top. I got it from the plumbing supply. Each end was a different ID. One side went over the ABS tee fitting and the other to the flexible hose. Havent had any more problems, and it added a little additional flexing. It was just tight working under the sink.

Sandy and Debi
2001 34 FDDS
Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I discovered ours broken the day we took delivery. The symptom is kitchen sink drain water pouring into the the rear smart bed on the driver's side.

The drain pipe on ours is 1-1/2" flexible PVC pipe. It's actually electrical pipe. There are two sections - one under the counter from the sink, and the other in the wall by the shower, where the slide runs. The two sections are connected together by a short section of rigid PVC. The rigid PVC is what broke due to binding when the slide goes in and out. It is a pain to repair, but can be reached if you take out the end drawers above the hydro hot heat exchanger in the kitchen cabinet.

Every time I put out the kitchen slide, I always run some water down the drain, and then check in the rear smart bed.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #8

This topic has come up a couple of times in the past. Once you secure the flex hose at the repaired or new tee fitting be sure you:

1) Inspect the floor behind the kitchen cabinet drawers to insure the floor is smooth and that there is nothing for the sliding hose to catch on. One of the coaches I saw had an electrical junction box attached to the floor and each time the slide went in or out the hose caught on the box. We corrected the problem by attaching a tapered piece of 2"X4" on the front and back of the box to provide a ramp to direct the hose smoothly up and over. You could also attach a piece of vinyl up and over the box attaching the vinyl in the front and back with nails or screws.

2) Using plumbers tape secure the hose next to the broken fitting solidly to the floor. That way when the slide goes in and out the hose has to take the flexing and not the ABS fitting.

Harold
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #9

I am not certain how long this flex drain line is but when we were doing boat repairs we replaced a drain line on a head sink with flexible radiator hose which was the Yacht manufacturers recommendation. This was a 72' top of the line yacht. We have used this type of hose in these flexible situations for years with great success. Possibly in this situation it would not be practical.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ted, I like the suggestion.. (I made it several posts back in fact)

NOTE to the O/P.. In my first post I mentioned 1 1/4" only. Radiator hoses come in assorted sizes, and some times one end is different from the other so if you have a 1 1/2 inch coupler (about 1 3/4" outer) and a 1 1/4 inch pipe, you can do it with hose just fine.. Just make sure it fits sung and use the proper hose clamp.

NOTE two.. this is very flexible hose, when I first used it folks were telling me how fast it would rot (5-10 years as it turns out) the stuff is designed to take chemical filled water at 15 PSI or more of pressure and 220 or more degrees of heat.

What's 120 degree soap water going to do to it? NOT MUCH!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #11

I was also going to suggest checking a marine hardware store for flexible tubing...

I had quite a bit on my fishing boat (bilge pumps, bait pumps, etc.)

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote