Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Flip up or fold out front LCD TV?

Thinking about replacing the tube TV in front with an LCD flat screen. My coach has the black metal cabinet that frames the bulky Toshiba 27" and also has a very nice "head banger" feature that I would like to eliminate. Looking at the sizes of 32" HDTV's, I should be able to accomplish the latter because the metal cabinet can be cut and raised about 4" (due to the difference between a 4:3 ratio and 16:9 ratio TV).

I see most folks who have an LCD up front appear to mount them in a fixed mode (i.e. Danny Gayhart's beautiful cabinetry). Also, the existing metal housing creates both a challenge and an opportunity. What I have in mind is finding a way to use all that space behind the new flat screen TV (currently waisted by that heavy behemoth tube TV).

What I'm wondering is if anyone has tried/considered one of the following approaches: 1. install a wood cabinet door hinged on the TOP and mount the TV to cabinet door or 2. Mount the TV to the inside of the metal cabinet opening using one of those fully articulating mounts that swings left, right, in and out.

The basic idea would be to mount the TV so that the area behind the TV could be accessed by simply moving the TV out of the way and using that dead space for such things as other things like an HD receiver or storing DVDs, etc.

For method 1, I realize you would have to mount the TV a few inches from the top of the hinged door (so that there would be clearance to avoid the TV striking the top of the ceiling when the door is opened upward. With the new slim TV's and the relative light weight of LCD's (22 lbs), a good strong hinged door should support it. The downside is that you could not do a clean flush mount (the side of the TV would be visible as you enter the coach). That might be resolved with some trim work, however.

For method 2, the potential problems include finding the right mounting arm that will allow the TV to both center the cabinet opening and also swing open (up or sideways) to access the area behind it. Another issue, of course, is ensuring that there is stability or cushioning so that the TV doesn't vibrate in motion and bang against the sides of the cabinet. For a 32" LCD there isn't much clearance anyway, without modifying the existing cabinets and opening. I have seen a 30" LCD that would give you about 1" clearance all around the existing opening, though.

For either approach, it may involve attaching a hinge or a TV mount to the top of the coach. Haven't taken out the old TV yet so investigate. Is there something on the top that is structurally strong enough (and safe) to screw into? Has anyone mounted things to the ceiling before?

Comments? Ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #2

Dave,

I've thought about doing something similar but, to avoid mounting anything on the ceiling, I'd do it a little differently.

A cabinet door, hinged at the bottom (having an inverted TV mounted on the back) so it would swing down 180 degrees, will reveal the upright TV and anything in the cabinet. A latch at the top would provide additional support and security when driving the Coach. You'd also have to make sure anything in the cabinet was secure so it wouldn't contact the TV screen.

LCD TV units are pretty light and wouldn't overstress the door or hinges.

I think the biggest problem with this would be finding or making a door that matches the rest of the cabinetry.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Dave,

I've thought about doing something similar but, to avoid mounting anything on the ceiling, I'd do it a little differently.

A cabinet door, hinged at the bottom (having an inverted TV mounted on the back) so it would swing down 180 degrees, will reveal the upright TV and anything in the cabinet. A latch at the top would provide additional support and security when driving the Coach. You'd also have to make sure anything in the cabinet was secure so it wouldn't contact the TV screen.

LCD TV units are pretty light and wouldn't overstress the door or hinges.

I think the biggest problem with this would be finding or making a door that matches the rest of the cabinetry.
With a solid latch at the top, the bottom hinge idea is good. Allows TV to be mounted higher, with less potential to bang one's head as you enter the coach. The metal cabinet should hold the door with multiple hinges quite nicely since it already holds that 80+ pound TV.

I would think you could use most any material for the door itself that mounts to the cabinet and (attaches the TV) because the TV will cover 95% the door, with only the edges uncovered (and the back of the door won't be visible 99% of the time. The matching woodwork should be trim around the outside of the TV (attached to the door). Sort of like framing a picture, I guess. Should be able to fashion a nice match to the existing cabinetry with a router.

The standard LCD TV is about 3.5" thick but I have seen a few "slim line" models that are around 2" thick. Actually, the TV's themselves are sometimes beveled/angled (looking from the side) so you might be able to recess the hinged door about 1-1.5 inches into the metal cabinet so that the TV, after mounting, does not protrude too much.

But your bottom hinge idea makes a lot of sense. Accomplishes what I want to do without as many problems. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
Dave,

Bob,
Re-read your post. I don't think I would mount the TV on the back of the door. 2 reasons. 1. potential screen damage and 2. when you flip the door open to watch tv, it will be very low.

I would mount to the front of the bottom hinged door and only have the door pivot 90 degrees to access storage. Get better viewing angles plus no damage to the TV. Also, the cabinetry part is much simpler.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #5

Dave, I replaced the 27" Toshiba in my 34 purely because of the head banging issue. I had, had enough of that in my boat. I replaced it with a 32" flat screen LCD using the cut down metal frame. I did not do anything as far as flipping it up with a hinge arrangement. I gained all the room required to avoid my head and I love it. Like a trained whatever(I'll leave that open for others) my wife tells me I still walk way around the area as if the old 27" were still there. Pain does make a lasting impression. The beauty of the project with a fair amount of homework I found a 32" that fit beautifully. The only woodwork necassary was to make some matching triangular shaped pieces for the side. I attached them with velcro and it worked out beautifully. You might want to reconsider storing anything behind the TV as there is quite a bit of heat.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted III View Post
Dave, I replaced the 27" Toshiba in my 34 purely because of the head banging issue. I had, had enough of that in my boat. I replaced it with a 32" flat screen LCD using the cut down metal frame. I did not do anything as far as flipping it up with a hinge arrangement. I gained all the room required to avoid my head and I love it. Like a trained whatever(I'll leave that open for others) my wife tells me I still walk way around the area as if the old 27" were still there. Pain does make a lasting impression. The beauty of the project with a fair amount of homework I found a 32" that fit beautifully. The only woodwork necassary was to make some matching triangular shaped pieces for the side. I attached them with velcro and it worked out beautifully. You might want to reconsider storing anything behind the TV as there is quite a bit of heat.
Ted,
I've found a handful of TV's that fit the opening (barely), such as a Magnovox, although most of the better brands (Panasonic, Samsung) are a little too wide. The dead banging is my primary motivation too. I probablh won't upgrade to HD satellite until pricing comes down or I go full time. Even with padding on that metal corner, I still shudder whenever I come close.
What did you use for the mount? Do you have any pics you could show or send pm?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Mounting the TV on the front of a door that drops at a 90 degree angle is a good idea but keep in mind that you'll have to reach in over the now horizontal door.

As far as heat at the rear; some TVs have the vents at the bottom and top or sides, eliminating the concern about heat at the rear. This also allows more natural ventilation (cool in at the bottom and heat out the top).
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I just finished replacing the old crt with a 32" flat panel. Unfortunately I didn't get one that fit the space. It was about 1/2" wide.
I removed all the steel and cut the bottom edges of the cabinets to make room for the tv plus 3/16 plywood covered with vinyl upholstery. I bolted a 30x14x3/4" plywood with vinyl to the space closest to the windshield between the cabinets. I used one of the articulating mounts which I turned 90 deg. so that I can lower the tv a bit if I want. I drilled a 3/16 hole through the articulating arms in there folded position and insert a steel rod to secure the tv in the up position. Looks good and eliminated the head bumper and all that weight hanging off the ceiling.

Brad
Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two sailors View Post
I just finished replacing the old crt with a 32" flat panel. Unfortunately I didn't get one that fit the space. It was about 1/2" wide.
I removed all the steel and cut the bottom edges of the cabinets to make room for the tv plus 3/16 plywood covered with vinyl upholstery. I bolted a 30x14x3/4" plywood with vinyl to the space closest to the windshield between the cabinets. I used one of the articulating mounts which I turned 90 deg. so that I can lower the tv a bit if I want. I drilled a 3/16 hole through the articulating arms in there folded position and insert a steel rod to secure the tv in the up position. Looks good and eliminated the head bumper and all that weight hanging off the ceiling.

Brad
You are ambitious! Any pics to share of the finished install?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I could take some pics. I have not posted pictures on the forum so I will have to figure that out. Maybe some time next week.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Dave & Jamie. We have replaced the CRT in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35n with a 32" Best Buy brand LCD TV. If interested project photos of that & other projects at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #12

Dave & Jamie, I will put some pictures together and post them. I also replaced the rear 20" w/ a 20" flat screen. I don't know if the 36' is the same as the 34'. I gained a tremendous amount of space in the cabinet over our washer/dryer.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Jaime & Dave:

Keep in mind that with the new LCDs, viewing angle is important, so an articulating arm is necessary. When watching night/dark scenes on a LCD, contrast is lost with only a slight viewing angle change. I always need to tilt it down a bit when seated. I bolted mine to a side cabinet.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #14

I'm in the process of a TV upgrade as well. I've removed all of my front cabinets and am installing a 42" LCD that is recessed in the ceiling and will flip down. So far, I'm about halfway done. The recess is built and the cabinets are out. I'm designing the hinge assembly so it will be well out of the way when retracted, but down at a reasonable level once the TV swings down.

I've been traveling so much I haven't had time to finish, but it should be pretty nice when I'm done. There are some pics somewhere on here of the coach with the cabinets out. I'll post more pics when I'm done.

GT
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote