Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #1

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
2003 38' FDTS
We are tired of cleaning carpet and are considering ripping it and the existing tile all out and replacing it with tile/granite or hardwood.
1) Has anybody done it? I saw a new Alpine at homecoming in Yakima that had laminate throughout.
2) I have seen a number of high end coaches with tile or granite throughout. Is the Peak chassis stiff enough for me to do in an Alpine.
3) What are the pittfalls?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #2

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
2003 38' FDTS
We are tired of cleaning carpet and are considering ripping it and the existing tile all out and replacing it with tile/granite or hardwood.
1) Has anybody done it? I saw a new Alpine at homecoming in Yakima that had laminate throughout.
2) I have seen a number of high end coaches with tile or granite throughout. Is the Peak chassis stiff enough for me to do in an Alpine.
3) What are the pittfalls?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #3

Our '06 on order is (should be) coming with tile from bath to entry well. Only carpet is in bedroom.
At least that was how we ordered it. It's only money. Mike
Old 05-23-2005, 04:52 AM   #4

Thanks Mike. It is good to know that WRV feels confident enough in the stiffness of the deck to put in that ammount of tile. Tell me, will your coach have tile on the living/dining area slide(s)?

I have laid a lot of floor tile but I need to get data on adhesives and grout composition for a motor home floor. I have even seen brass strips used instead of grout.Classy look!!

In Kentucky, heading for Atlanta and Europe next week for 5 weeks. What inheritance?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:38 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Why don't you put in laminate flooring. I just did my kitchen at home and am planning on doing it in my trailer. No glueing, nailing, etc. Floor floats on a thin foam pad. Seems ideal for a camper. Yes?
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:40 AM   #6

I will also consider laminate flooring. Some of the wood grain textured surfaces look more like real wood than the totally smooth surface.

Laminate and real wood are both suseptable to water damage. Tile is heavy and cracking due to flexing can be a problem.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:06 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
By the way. Just noticed last night that Trailer Life has an article about putting this in your trailer. What a great idea!
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Basil Shannon:
I have laid a lot of floor tile but I need to get data on adhesives and grout. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will need to add the "flex" admix to the grout and use an adhesive that is very flexible (look for one that is used on plywood decking) and install the cement backerboard to help stiffen the floor. Keep your tiles small (under 12"x12", personally I wouldn't go over an 8x8" tile) and try to stay away from the real marbles especially travertine (marble is fragile and travertine is downright brittle). The porcelain tiles are usually very tough yet light.

BTW, My Dad was a tile setter for 50+ years. He taught both my husband & me to set & grout tile (both mud and glue). We set tile professionally as home remodelers.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #9

Slides would be iffy for tile. One reason for sure is the overlap-flap of carpet req'd to hide the flush-slide/coach seam- not sure how you'd do that in tile, but I'm prepared to be impressed when someone does. The other which I suspect, is that the amount of deformation in a slide floor is likely to be greater than on the coach floor (number of inches per foot of floor bend); just my suspicion on that.
BTW, as to type of materials, WRV has used procelain tile for a few years now.
We talked to Country Coach about an all tile floor & they wouldn't do it; said they needed a ~2' carpet strip along the flush-slide or the slide action cracked the tile when opening/closing. Coulda been one of those self-serving kinda truths, but who knows? That was w/the Inspire (their entry model) that comes on the DynaMax chassis, but is otherwise a fairly off-the-rack coach; to do any extra tile they build the coach per the brochure, then when completed they had a tile guy "in town" come & do the carpet-take-out/tile-setting.
One thing about adding tile- if you have a floor level washer/dryer, don't cement it into the closet by adding a 3/4" or 1" lip in front that the appliance can't slide over; friend of mine did that to his regret; made appliance repair somehwat challenging.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #10

When we bought our 98 Alpine, it had Wilson Art laminate tile in the kitchen dining area and in the toilet room. But it had carpet outside the shower and in front of the bath sink. Wife said no to carpet in the bath. Found out the pattern was 15" Ecru Fossil and ordered from ifoor.com. Was not too bad of a job since I have a full wood shop. Worst part was meeting the tile already there especially since some of WRV's cuts were not straight.

The wood laminate tile is supposed to be a full floating floor, but WRV put it down with what looks like construction adhesive. Instructions for the tile said to use adhesive on all joints and edges to water proof. Wife likes this much better and it even matches.

Bill Evans
98 36 SDS
bpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote