Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #43

The demo is the kick in the ass about this project, one recommendation I would say if your doing it all yourself hire a labor ready guy to come for a day and have them do the grunt work of the tile tear out and carpet and of course the staples removal, I use them a lot on construction projects, most of the time they send ok day labor about 18/hr and the pay for all the workers comp and insurance. The tile removal is the biggest pain i used a 1/2 impact chipping gun with a flat bite, and it took about 6 hours fyi, the osb get really banged up so I recommend grinding the wood down and using a self lever or there is a elastometric patch from dap. I waterproofed entire osb, not necessary but what the hell what's another 2 gallons of redguard ($100). Flooring instsll was a piece of cake if you have done it before, take your time with it, it's only 400 sqft but it will take 2 days with as many cuts as u need to do. Figure an entire week to get it all done. I was short a box of flooring and short 5 sticks on quarter round moulding
My materials total needed were 425 sqft, 5 sticks of stair, 11 pieces of quarter round
Czarmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #44

Czarmarz,

Your coach appears to have the same living/dining /kitchen layout as my 1998 36FDSS. The driver side slide carries the living room sofa and the kitchen cabinets containing the sink and cooktop.

I am interested in replacing the original carpet and kitchen laminate vinyl tile flooring like you did. I can't figure out how to remove the flooring from under the leading edge of the kitchen cabinets.
Pardon my ignorance, but how did you do that? Or did you just remove the tile to the face of the cabinet and butt the new flooring up t it?

There is enough clearance under my cabinets that I can install 1/4 inch vinyl laminante (Mannington Adura Max) over the existing finished floor-no removal necessary- except for the sliding slide guides under the cabinets near each end.

Any suggestions from any one who has done this will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Gene
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #45

Gene, assuming your 1998 kitchen layout construction is the same as my 1999, the kitchen cabinet to the right of the sink has a fixed guide the cabinet sides on top of. Your new flooring will lay around that guide. However, on the left side, under the cabinet is a carpet covered skid attached to the bottom of the cabinet that is meant to scoot on top of the flooring when retracting the slide. When replacing my floor, I assumed the left side was the same as the right. The first time I started to retract the slide after the installation, the floor began to buckle. Because it was a floating floor (no adhesive) no damage was done. Here is what to look for. From inside of the left cabinet (drawers removed), you should find a plank the sink drain plumbing rests/slides on. Remove that plank and you will see where the skid is mounted toward the front base of the cabinet. I removed and replaced the skid with four rollers to insure good weight distribution and easily roll onto the new floating floor without buckling it. If I had known this beforehand, I would have removed the skid before installing the new floor and made sure the new flooring reached far enough back to prevent the skid from catching on it. In my opinion, I would replace the skid with rollers regardless of the type of flooring installed, floating or glued. The weight of the cabinet bearing down on the floor produces lots of friction, and could damage the new floor surface. Or worse, tear a vinyl floor. PM me if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
I can't figure out how to remove the flooring from under the leading edge of the kitchen cabinets. Pardon my ignorance, but how did you do that? Or did you just remove the tile to the face of the cabinet and butt the new flooring up t it?
Regarding your question about removing the old flooring from under the cabinets. I used a long flat chisel. That and a copious amount of patience. Like the carpet staples, WRV used plentiful quantities of glue.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone done a flooring project with the quad slide? That’s what mine is and am trying to figure out how I will floor the level out slide dinette slide.
2006 Alpine Apex 40FDQS #75583
Yakima, WA
bcruzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, floor, replace, replacement