Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
There are a number of threads on the forum regarding fogged double-pane SE-GI windows.

I found an online vendor at http://foggeddoublepanewindow.com/ who sells instructions for $30 plus $3.50 shipping. It shows you how to assemble a kit from reasonable costing components which allows you to wash and dry the space between the fogged glass panes restoring clarity to the windows.

Out of frustration, I ordered the kit, assembled the parts and gave it a try. Although I did not find the project to be quite as simple as the web site suggested, it is possible to do.

I have now completed washing and drying 3 fogged windows (the two large picture windows on the passenger side wall and the large sliding window over the couch) and somewhat to my surprise, the windows are now clear again.

There may be some degree of risk involved in working on the large Alpine Coach window, but it seemed to work OK and I didn't break anything. Also, I cannot vouch for how long the windows will stay clear since the cause (leaking seals) has not been corrected. In fact, the web site says that refogging will recur, but can be quickly corrected using the kit you made and the access holes you put in place.

Has anyone else attempted this technique? I learned a few tricks (the hard way, of course) that I would be willing to share with regards to using this technique on Alpines.

Snuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
Please do share tips and techniques with us who also have fogged windows.

I also wonder if it is possible to re-seal the perimeter of the window before doing the cleaning and if that would extend the cure.

Louis & Linda
2005 FDQS
F150 SuperCrew Toad
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Well, the trick is to drill two 1/8" holes through the seal into the space between the panes.

This requires access to the edge of the window. Only some of the windows on my Alpine allow this without removing the whole frame. After watching two professionals remove and replace the 3 windows that SE-GI had sent me before Alpine went under I am certain that I could not do this myself. Especially the huge passenger side window.

Foggeddoublepanewindows.com does talk about trying to repair the seal if you do remove the whole window from the coach wall.

We did investigate having professionals pull the windows and replace the glass but it was exhorbitantly expensive - if even possible.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
I ordered the Information and will report back on the results.
Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
The easiest windows to use the process on (and to practice on while learning the technique) are the sliding windows where you have direct access to the side edge of the glass. On my coach this is the lower panel driver's window, the left side over the couch, and the two sliding panels under the large picture windows. Here you can directly examine the two panes, measure the space between them, and see the seal between the panes.

Some of the other windows require drilling small access holes through the aluminum frame to get to the edge of the glass panes.

The large picture windows allow access only from the bottom edge - by opening the sliding window underneath, prying out the rubber gasket strip and drilling 3/8" access holes up into the space in the aluminum frame from below. This was pretty easy.

Access from underneath requires that you have a rigid 1/8" tube which can be inserted into the space between the panes from the bottom all the way to the top of the space to release air as you fill the space with washing solution from below. My attempt at using a plastic tube with a stylus in it failed. A 1/8" x 36" copper tube I got from SmallParts.com (3 for $12.50 plus shipping) worked great.

The large picture windows on the Alpine required around 3 1/2 gallons of fluid to completely fill the space. I noticed that the middle of the window glass was buldging outwards from the weight of the fluid - which made me nervous. I discovered that applying a small amount of suction to the copper tubing which I controlled manually by briefly connecting the suction pump tubing (which you construct as part of the project) I could eliminate the buldging, decrease the fluid requirement to only about 1 1/2 gallons and sort of suck the wash fluid up to the top of the glass after the space was half to 2/3 full.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
This is a great thread. I'm now thinking of filling my windows with sea water, and stocking them with brightly colored and interesting tropical fish.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Good Lord! This is quite a project! I think I'll just stick my head back in the sand.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
The major component of the defogging kit is an aquarium pump from Walmart, so the tropical fish idea might actually work.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suncoast Design Center in Hudson Fl will repair fogged dual pane windows. Jeff Heyen is the guy to contact at 727-868-2773. Cost for a small window (e.g. galley or bath ) is about $100 and $150-$200 for a larger one, e.g. typical lounge or dinette windows. I am told the warranty is one year, same as with new glass.

I haven't had any work done there myself - this info comes from a Country Coach owners forum.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
What a small world! This place is about one mile from our brick & stick, and I didn't know they did this! We don't have any problems with our coach windows, but do with our house double panes. Now we can get them fixed right in the neighborhood.
If anyone is interested, they just built this big, beautiful facility within the past 2 years, so I'm guessing they may be hurting with the crash of the building boom that was huge in our area. I bet they would love a few RV window jobs and would possibly be negotiable on price. Quite a few RV parks close by, also. Here's a link: http://www.ccwindow.com/index.html
If anyone tries them, give us a shout. If we're home (we're in WV right now watching the snow fall!), we're good for a cup of joe, at least.
rosegramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
We cleared several windows using the foggeddoublepanewindow material. Easy weekend project with great results.
sorrydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #12
After speaking with a contact from this ".com" company, it sounds like windows where you have access to the edges, eg, sliding windows, are pretty easy to do. Has anyone tried doing the windows imbedded in the frames, eg, the two framed windows next to the drive or passenger[mid-door design] seats? If so, did you drill thru the frames or somehow remove the inter frame section?
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #13
Eng Mike, Even though it is not a tropical fish I would avoid using any type of a blowfish.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
I have been practicing on my front door window. The wash and rinse went well. At the end of the drying process a small amount of fluid ran down the window from the hole on the supply side. It of course dried immediately and left a long streak. I had drilled my holes on the top and bottom center of the window. It appears moisture or fluid from the cleaning process that was on the outside of the seal got drawn in as the window dried. I filled the window again with alcohol and dried it with the window on its side to let the fluid drain away from the holes. This seems to work well and the window looks almost new. I plan on rewashing it after I get the copper tubing from smallparts.com.( the straws are a pain). I probably will drill another hole in the curved area of the window so I can scavenge the alcohol a little better. I am also thinking about trying an electric fuel pump (RC hobby Type) instead of the turkey baster.
My window did not come clean until I did the ammonia was.
I like your idea of applying vacuum to the top hole while putting fluid in to reduce stress on the window and reduce the liquid required.
Have you had any re-fogging of the windows you cleaned?

I also found the desiccant dried better on the stove than in the microwave.

Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote