Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Ted and Carol,
We had our large living/dining room window replaced at Sun Coast Designers in Hudson, FL last year. They did a great job for a very reasonable price - $500. Our '05 has the very large 4-piece window, so it was not a small job. At the time, they told us it was the largest window they'd ever done. We highly recommend them.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #16

We are currently parked in the Suncoast Designers campground in Florida having 8 of our windows repaired. They have power and water hookup for 16 motorhomes but today there are 21 here! The word is getting around that this is the best place to have fogged windows repaired. Success has its downside though as the shop is overloaded and we have been here 4 days and only have half our windows re-installed. I gather it gets a little quieter here in the summer, but not much. By the way we are the only Alpine here, but there are 6 Alfa's and several Country Coaches, even a Prevost. Several are almost brand new.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Go inside the office and get the take out / delivery menu from the restaurant at the driving range Dow the street
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Wasn't there someone selling a kit to do your own windows? Does anyone remember who it was?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Waste of time in my opinion. The process that is critical is the correct cleaning and then treating the air or gas which is inserted between the panes and sealed at the same time. If ANY moisture is in or gets in you will need to start over. For the minimal cost SunCoast Designers will correct the window and give a 5 year warranty. So I ask ,,,,,,, What is your time worth?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDooley View Post
Waste of time in my opinion. The process that is critical is the correct cleaning and then treating the air or gas which is inserted between the panes and sealed at the same time. If ANY moisture is in or gets in you will need to start over. For the minimal cost SunCoast Designers will correct the window and give a 5 year warranty. So I ask ,,,,,,, What is your time worth?
I was interested in this discussion as I have three windows where the seal between the two panes is gone or going. I understood in my case the only alternative is to replace the windows. I don't do cold weather so not a big deal other than cosmetic.

Any thoughts on case where seal is loose and falling or rising?

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Don't matter when they fail, after a while they will get a white fog type of stain and it will become a safety issue as you will not be able to see out. They help keep out the cold and heat along with sound when sealed so just cold weather is not the only isssues. If you wait till the fogging begins you can add the cost of replacing the glass as it becomes etched by the stain and will not clean off so the sooner the better
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Just a note,,,,,,, I don't work for any window company I do however have experience in commercial products (windows) and understand the process.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #23

Add me to the list of Dave Root fans. We had our driver and passenger side windows (upper and lower) removed, cleaned, resealed, and reinstalled today by Dave in Bend, OR. He looked at all 3 windows and confirmed my view that we didn't need to re-do the slider windows. As others have said, he's meticulous, appears to have a much better sealing process than SE-GI, and got rid of the sticky butyl rubber used by WRV. He used a foam tape and black silicone sealant (boy, I wish I could apply caulk as well as he does).

He took about 4 hours removing, repairing, and reinstalling both window frames and the 3 windows in each (just had to clean the sliders and reconfirm they weren't leaking).

I found him to be honest and very professional, and also believe his solution will last.

Dave said he is thinking about going to Quartzite this year and I suggested he might want to get in touch with Kathy N, who is organizing the rally and be available for those who may want window de-fogging done at the rally.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #24

Several years ago I had Dave Root repair five or six Si-Gi(?) windows in a Safari I used to own. I sold that Safari last year and the windows he repaired were still in great condition. I've strongly recommended him on another RV website. If I had problems with the windows on my present RV he'd be the first person I'd call. I guess you'd add me to the list of his supporters.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Not to toot Dave's horn too much but we had him do our LARGE side window and all of the front windows in Bend last month. Did a fantastic job and was exceedingly pleasant to work with.
Pricey job. Used a bunch of that big sweaty wad of money.

He did say he was coming south at the first of the year if you don't want to go to Bend.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #26

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
[QUOTE=jerry davis;680328]Not to toot Dave's horn too much but we had him do our LARGE side window and all of the front windows in Bend last month. Did a fantastic job and was exceedingly pleasant to work with.
Pricey job. Used a bunch of that big sweaty wad of money.

He did say he was coming south at the first of the year if you don't want to go to Bend.[/QUOTE]

Greetings from Palm Springs,
Dave Root now says on his website that he is coming to California and Arizona in January if there is enough interest. E-mail him to get on the list.
Dave Root Rv Glass Repair

I have several foggy windows in need of some help!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #27

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Dave Root stopped here in Palm Springs and did four windows for us and I am very pleased with the results. Our driver's side window was so fogged that it was becoming a safety hazard when the sun was just right. He says that of the thousands of windows they have repaired, they have only had 4 failures some of which were the result of exceeding the pot life of a sealant.

In my opinion, this is NOT a DIY job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082 (2).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	8129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073 (2).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	8130  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077 (2).JPG
Views:	100
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	8131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086 (2).JPG
Views:	106
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	8132  

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #28
M&J

I had Dave repair the passengers side window and door window in December and I was very pleased with his work. As Basil has said, I wish I could caulk like Dave does!

Very pleasant, honest and skilled in my opinion.

I would recommend Dave to anyone with fogged windows and I agree that this is not a DIY project. Not if you want it done right.