Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #43

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
Dave Root stopped here in Palm Springs and did four windows for us and I am very pleased with the results. Our driver's side window was so fogged that it was becoming a safety hazard when the sun was just right. He says that of the thousands of windows they have repaired, they have only had 4 failures some of which were the result of exceeding the pot life of a sealant.

In my opinion, this is NOT a DIY job.
I'm sorry, but that is a SUPER SMALL area when Dave fix/repair the windows!!! He cannot do it the 20X10 feet room! That's too small!! Plus, I guess he is the only one doing the windows so it takes him a lot of them to do them. There has to be at LEAST 2-3 guys to do it! I had my windows fixed at Suncoast Windows LLC in St.Petersburg Home | Suncoast Windows Llc. and I'm really happy! The windows look great! They actually posted some pictures on their Facebook profile Suncoast Windows LLC | Facebook of our RV fogged windows before and after! I payed only $150 for small window, $180 for side windows and $225 for driver window and a passenger door window! They did a great job !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Cathy1952,
Dave Root works in the West. Suncoast, being in Florida, is not really feasiablefor those of us west of the Rockies. That said, I've heard a lot of positive comments about Suncoast. There are a number of threads on the forums that extol their virtues. IMHO demeaning Dave Root here is not necessary. There are other establishments in the west that also do RV window repair/replacement that provide great service and have large areas to do their work. For someone that wants to find someplace in their neck of the woods, a search of the irv2 forums will show a number of choices.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #45

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Cathy1952,
Dave Root works in the West. Suncoast, being in Florida, is not really feasiablefor those of us west of the Rockies. That said, I've heard a lot of positive comments about Suncoast. There are a number of threads on the forums that extol their virtues. IMHO demeaning Dave Root here is not necessary. There are other establishments in the west that also do RV window repair/replacement that provide great service and have large areas to do their work. For someone that wants to find someplace in their neck of the woods, a search of the irv2 forums will show a number of choices.

Jeff add Cheryl, you're probably talking about Suncoast DESIGNERS , but I was talking about SUNCOAST WINDOWS. These are two different companies. Suncoast Window is a smaller company, not as small as Dave Root , but not as big as Designers. When I visited Suncoast Windows, the owner of the company was there and he gave me a really good price. By the way, a few days ago, they send me an email saying that they have a Summer Special Sale (June,July and August)-25% off on the RV windows and that the price starts as low as $150.00 per window. Really good people, and I wish them all the best!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Rubes.......
Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Last week I was in Bend and Dave and Crew did 3 windows, including the emergency exit window. These windows have been problematic for some time. His work was GREAT!! All aspects of the job were handled in a most professional way. I could not be more pleased with his work.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #48

fog window repair

Jeff and Cheryl, We also just had Dave Root do our windows at Thousand Trails in Bend. We were there the week of July 23rd and Dave brought out his 24 foot trailer and one helper. He removed and repaired our large window consisting of 6 seperate panes (all 6 were resealed although only 2 were fogged). Removing that big window was a big job and we did not want to chance that other windows in that frame would go bad later. We also had our emergency window in the bedroom repaired. Our first meeting with Dave was at Quartzite this year where we had four front windows ( front driver side, door and front passenger side repaired). We were happy enough with his work at Quartzite to make the trip to Bend for the bigger window. We appreciated Dave's hard work as the big window was difficult to reassemble and reinstall. Everything looks perfect with no problems with the prior window repairs. I recommend Dave for this type of repair.

Jerry, 2006 34 ft Alpine
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #49

I took all the positives and ordered the repair kit for my windows, have 3 in the front of the coach that are fogged. Next week will be the true test when I have the vacation time (yep, some of us have to take vacation to work on our coach!) set aside to do the repair. The instructions look very comprehensive and my only concern is getting the completed window reinstalled on the coach without leaks and issues. Have started the process of telling myself to be calm and take my time!

Guess if I can build billion dollar satellites and rebuild $500 race cars, I should be able to do this!
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #50

I promissed to report back after repairing my windows with Dave's kit. It has been a few weeks since I did it, but finally, here goes.

The kit is great along with the instructions. Had no issues with the actual repair of the windows with the mindset of taking my time and doing it right. Found the one difficult task, is getting the completed double pane assembly back into the window frame! What a bear that can be. I repaired the window in the door and the one beside the copilot seat and they both look great and are holding up fine so far.

The other dissapointment to me is the reinstallation onto the coach of the window frame. I used the clear silicone and in one case, did not mask off the "stay out" areas for it. It is smeared around more than I had envisioned and once done, it is done! The second one, I used blue painters tape and masked a stayout area, albeit a bit close to the edge. Next time, I would rethink the approach to the stayout masking.

Had planned to do the drivers window, but it is too large for the wife and I to handle, so it is still fogged, maybe another time.

For those that are considering doing this yourselves, it can be done and the kit is great, but take your time and dont rush or you will not be happy with the results.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #51

Dave Root Quality and Professionalism

I just had a drivers side, 3 pane window repaired by Dave's crew yesterday on my 2000 Monaco Dynastry Regent. Nathan and Dan did an absolute great and professional job. Dave scheduled me into their trip from Oregon though California, and the SF Bay Area where I am located, down to Quartzite where they do a lot of window repairs each month while RV'ers are camping. I found Dave Root through this site. Basically, they saved me about $1000 over the cost of the repair if I had ordered a new window through Atwood and the cost of labor at the RV place where I store my RV. They warranty the window repair for much longer than the manufacturer and other repair places do.

Larry B

I watched the guys through the entire process and witnessed how dedicated they were to their craft, how efficient and skilled they were and how little time it took them to completely take the window set out of the coach, disassemble all three panes, separate the glass, polish the glass and resassemble the entire window set with materials that are supposed to be of better quality than what the window manufactures use. I can attest to the friendliness and quality of character of these guys and this was backed up by the comments of the staff at my RV dealer.