Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #1

Fogged Window Repair--Suncoast Designers

We recently had 4 window frames repaired on our 03 by Suncoast Designers, Hudson, Fla. The overall experience with Suncoast was good. They operate out of a large warehouse facility in an industrial park with 10-12 rv parking slots [electric/water] in front of their building. Their background/ experience is with sealed residential windows so they have a good business foundation [tools, equipment, know-how] to repair Rv windows.

They use a climate-controlled "clean room" [probably a reqmt for hot/humid summers in Fla] to clean, inspect, and reseal the glass panes. They also use a fully enclosed, heat activated pressing system to control/ "condition" the air captured between the panes during the final sealing. All in all, a very impressive manufacturing process.

Standard pricing is $200 per window frame, and $250 for the three-pane drivers [passager side if mid-door]. So the smaller window in your front door or kitchen are the same as the one over your couch.

Here is what I didnt like: 1st--they dont have much of an initial customer interface, so you really dont know when they will come to work on your coach or how long it will take for them to complete the windows--generally speaking its a 2-day process. Processing priority seems to be assigned based on thru-put so your three or four frames may get set aside while a one frame/one-day job is done first????? They do cover you opennings while the frames are out so you dont have to worry about the weather. 2nd--they re-install the frames dry [without sealant] but run a small bead of silicone around the outside edge of the frame and the fiberglass. I am not convinced this is the best solution but it is their solution. PS-- they dont explain this during check-in.

Finally, if they do manage to break a pane during the process--all bets are off. They will replace it but securing replacement glass could take a week or more--no problem for me but my neighbor was there a week.

If anyone has additional questions, please PM me as we can discuss details.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

I had 8 of my windows repaired last March. They had 20 motorhomes in at that time and they were working from 6am to 6pm 6 days to get them through. It took 4 days to get mine done. In January this year I returned to have one window replaced as it had been broken by a passing rock (obviously not a warranty claim). They had to order new glass for the inner and outer panes and again it took 4 days to get the work done. The total cost to remove the frame replace the glass and re-install was just over $100. Considering that Suncoast provided free parking, electric, water and wi-fi for those 4 days (actually 5 as we arrived on Sunday) I think we came out ahead this time. So far we have had no leaks and no more fogging and we do park outside all year.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Old Scout,

I had 6 of my fogged windows repaired at SunCoast Designers in January 2011. My experience was very good!

A very helpful tour is conducted each day of the repair process, so you can see what is actually happening in that process . The actual workers doing the extraction and re-installation of the windows on my coach were more than forthcoming about the repair process and the changing time frame involved, although I did have to ask. I suspect that if you don't ask, you might not be kept as well informed, since they don't seem to voluntarily keep one updated on the schedule for your coach. And, yes, the schedule for my coach did seem to change a bit from the original estimate.

However, I was only there for 2 1/2 days (2 nights) for 6 windows including the large, complex window over the passenger-side living area.

I was initially concerned about the small bead of silicone at the top and sides of the windows when re-installed. But after talking to the installer who did the beading work and why he did it that way, I was satisfied with his explanation.

And, they did make a mistake on the final invoice, which I had to correct for them. They only charged me for 5 windows, instead of the 6 repaired. The service writer was really embarrassed, when I informed him of the mistake. Although, I had to pay more money than the original invoice, I just couldn't in good conscience overlook the mistake.

I must say, when I take my car or coach in for other repair work, the initial schedule estimate is frequently modified as the work goes along. Sometimes, the service writer voluntarily informs me, but sometimes I have to ask about any changes to the schedule. I simply expect that is how things work in the repair business.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I'll give up the snow and weather up here to go sit in Florida for a week.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Dont take my comments/concerns as a "not recommended"--they provide a good product at a very good price. Problem was two Alpines came in at the same time--4 windows each [we were travelling together]. His was done in 1 1/2 days, mine in 2 1/2 --no explanation and no warning. If we'd known it was going to take an extra day--the spousal unit could have gone sight seeing--I am sure you understand my concern. There was also a lot of bickering between the workers--some was good hearted, some not so much. Think this contributed to a modest lack of attention to detail with regard to aligning the gaskets and the resulting esthetics--but again, I am kind of picky about fit and finish kind of stuff.

PS--My Alpine buddy bought the workers donuts but I delievered them?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 02-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #6

We just finished our visit to Suncoast Designers and were pleased. There were about 16 RV's present (including 2 Alpines) by Sunday night - all hooked up to 50-amp/water/Wi-Fi and watching the Super Bowl. As you can imagine, all were anxious and frustrated, since they had all given up fighting with their manufacturers and were now having to spend several days and a significant amount of money to repair a manufacturing defect which the window company had refused to warranty!!
By 6:30 am Monday morning, crews were removing windows and running them into the facility to be fixed. The factory tour was interesting and informative. All the staff was pleasant and helpful. Their technique and materials are high-quality. Most windows are $200 and the huge 6-pane picture window on our 2005 Alpine was $400. A number of patrons were returning to have additional windows done but nobody had heard of a failure and the owner shared that he has almost never had to redo a window because of the metal reinforced seals he uses.
It was a little frustrating trying to get an accurate estimate of when we would be finished - but visits to Myknos Greek restaurant in Tarpon Springs and Ollies Oyster Bar ($1.40 drafts) on the water in Hudson kept us occupied and happy. Wekee Wachi Springs is also close.
Snuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll have to keep this in my memory bank if and when I should need mine repaired. Lucky so far but not so lucky on our Fleetwood. It all worked out though, had to purchase new windows and had them installed at a local dealer.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
All - Again I can highly recommend Motion Windows in Vancouver, WA for new windows as well. Our mid door apex has the 120"X32"? sized living room/Dining Room window on the passenger side, and they built us a new window to replace the original one since it was starting to fog. We did not like the OEM design window, so that is why we elected to replace with new. IT's a great window, has never leaked, even when the wash crew used a pressure washer on the coach the other day and several rainstorms as well. I can highly recommend motion windows for window repair and or replacement.

Dave Root fixed the drivers side window for us at quartzsite this year, and he was very professional, the windows looks great, and it did not leak either. I am very please with his work.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #9

How are the windows a few years later?

To those of you that had the "foggy windows" repaired by Suncoast Designers, how have the repairs held up?

If there were problems, how well was the warranty honored?

We need to have quite a few Hehr double pane windows repaired and are wondering if this process holds up well. We have already replaced a few of these windows and even the new ones fogged up after a year.

Thanks!
jpainter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #10

Still clear.......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After a year, no problems.

Was really pleased with the service we got and the techs was real friendly.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had two windows repaired at Suncoast Designers Inc.

I would recommend them for value, work done on the window itself, but I believe they stumbled in the same area the original poster commented on.

We arrived Wednesday night for our Thursday appointment. While checking on a spot to park the rod that attaches the door handle to the latch separated locking us out (pervious RV service center repair did not tighten the allen nut that held the rod in place) Couldn't have happened at a better place though. We had to break one of the windows to be fixed to get back in.

Be prepared to rise early. We were warned last night by others. There was a gentleman at our door at 6:30 with a clip board for check in and work started at 7:00.

They had some difficulty with this window as a RV service center last winter had replaced the lights in the valance and when the shade was reinstalled the installation was not the best, cardboard had been used to hold things in place and screws were driven so far in that the upholstery hide the screw head.

This is the same window that had to be broken to get back into the coach because the repair on the door latch by the same RV service center cause the outside latch to cease to function.

This is the passenger window coming out and both windows were out in about 45 minutes, the second one only took 10 minutes.

This is what you are left with. It is quite dark on the inside, and for the coaches having all the windows replaced it must be like a cave.

I have now seen the valances removed so when it comes time to replace the broken blinds (done by the same RV service center) I know how to do it.

There are many coaches here having windows replaced, and a lot of them seem to be having all their windows replaced. The gathering seems to start on Monday and they say they are all done by Friday to clear the parking lot out for the next batch the next Monday. We got the last parking spot with power and water. They also have a dump site.

Here are some pictures of the coaches waiting for window replacement.

Here are the newly refurbished windows to be installed.

The window holes as mentioned above had been covered with plastic and cardboard.

This was taped into place with "painter's" tape. When the tape was pulled off some paint came with it. Not a large amount, but certainly noticeable.

I did not take a picture (I was quite upset) of the area but will in the future. I was directed to talk to the manager about the problem. His input was they use "painter's" tape and that it does not pull paint off of drywall walls so any paint pulled of the coach was due to improper preparation of the surface when the coach was painted.

In all fairness he is correct, this coach has been repainted and I can tell that it was not the greatest of jobs. My input would be the response from the management was more to cover themselves than one of concern. It would have been appropriated to offer to obtain the correct touch up paint. It kind of set the tone for the rest of the install.

The area where the window rests against the coach is cleaned and then a small bead of silicone is applied

The windows sandwich the side of coach between the outside window frame and the inside window frame. This is done by small screws installed from the inside of the window all the way around the window. The attitude of the employee installing these screws was it was Friday afternoon and he wanted the job done. He was in a hurry. When the screws were not seating all the way in he switched of the clutch on the screw driver and promptly snapped off two screws.

The window then had to be removed. They said they did not have the right drill to drill out the snapped off screws and hammered them out with a flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer.

They then preformed a leak test which consisted of spraying water lightly on the side of the coach for several seconds and called it a done job.
It has been raining here today all day and you guessed it I have a small leak on the right window. I will have to run a bead of caulk around the frame of that window.

So... an experience that started out on a good foot has not turned out as well as I would hope.

The price is great, the clear glass is great, the enthusiasm of the employees on the removal was great. The install did not go as well.

Below is shot of the damage to the paint when the tape was pulled off. Also note the poor job done on cleaning up the excess of silicone around the window. It is my intention to write a letter of my feelings on the install process. Again I have to say it started out great, the value for the dollar is great, the experience was ruined by the "Friday Afternoon" attitude.

Ok, my heart was not in this tour after the problems on the install.

The person that gave the tour was informative and personable.
Here he is explaining what is done with the old glass.

It is brought in and stacked here and then the once the process is started the two pieces of glass are separated from the seal.

The glass is then cleaned and if it is pitted to the point that it cannot be cleaned it is either replaced from their inventory or they have a local supplier that can cut and supply the needed glass within a day

The secrete to the process is the seal that goes between the two pieces of glass. There is a corrugated piece of metal between two permanently flexible seals.

The seal and glass is heated to three hundred degrees with inferred lights in this machine as it exits the clean room where the window is assembled. A small area of the seal is left open so the glass is not stressed by the expansion of the air between the two pieces of glass. No special gasses are used. Only clean dry air is used. Once the seal has been cured the small opening is sealed.

The window is them placed into the frame.

The completed window is then taken to the coach for the install.

Sorry for the poor presentation of the tour, but my heart was just not into it.

I have several more window that I now want to have repaired. What I will do not is remove the window myself, ship it to them to repair and reinstall the window myself.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #13

Ha d some repaired by them. Were "frameless type" . certainly not the best for them to repaired. Took much more time and was more expensive. We had to stay a week for the repair from Sunday to mid-Friday. No restaurant near-buy, in the middle of nowhere.
Would I go there again? No if I had another decent company available.
Too bad I still have 3 brand new "Heer" frameless standing in my basement that I could sell at a very low price do
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote