Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #43

Mike- I'm thinking they have a propane gen.

Junebug- you can have the batteries load tested at a NAPA or AutoZone usually for free (they want to sell you new ones so they offer that service). If you have 3 house batteries they have to be 12V.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Mike, re the propane generator. I didn't think of that.

Varankins3: You might get some use out of this website of Rv Repair Reviews:
RV Service Reviews

Click on Colorado, then click Sort by Location.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #45

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Mike View Post
Varankins3,

The "Battery Charger" idea is exactly what I did. Our inverter failed in the middle of a trip while at a full-hookup park. But we were then going to a no-hookup park for 7 days. So, I ran the generator 2 or 3 times a day for an hour or so to keep the battery charge up a bit. Or I'd fire up the engine and charge the batteries up off the alternator for awhile every few days.

I see that you are near Aurora and the Xantrex authorized repair center is in Colo. Springs (only about 75 miles away). You might call down there and ask them if they have any rebuilt units on the shelf and whether they can do an install. Here's the contact info:
  • COLORADO One Stop Custom Shop 6923 Wyoming Lane
    Col. Springs, CO 80923
    Ph. 719-495-2740
One thing I forgot to mention was that the repair center gave me a 90 day warranty on their repairs.

Rick & Cork: Thanks for jumping in with that Link for EM.

Good luck with your inverter Rankins!

Cheers!

Mike and Mike...called down there this a.m. and he sounded really positive he could fix our unit, but not until next week due to 4th being in the middle of the week. I am ok with that since we snug here at Buckley AFB. He thinks he could do the repair the same day which would be great. I am still wondering if we should get a new unit if the repair is going to be around $1000...only a minor difference when you are talking those kinds of bucks. Guess I should roll the dice and make up my mind!

Guess once that gets fixed, we will see if the gen starts..yes it is LP. Our gen is in the front of the coach along with the 3 house batts. The inverter/charger is in the front floor cabinet right in the middle. That sucker is heavy and my poor hubby has pulled it out way too many times. Took the cabinet door off this time as you have to lay down to look at it!!

This has been the most helpful forum I have been on since I discovered RV websites. Isn't the web a wonderful thing? What did people do in the "old" days when problems arose??
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #46

Georgie Boy Owners Club
one last entry on this entire ordeal...we got a new ignition coil for the gen and whaddaya know? the gen started!! One less service call to pay for. So we will try and relax for the next week before seeing if we can get in next week to fix the Xantrex 458. So thanks for all the great advice and tips
Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
varankins3,

Glad to hear the good news. We hope it keeps coming!

Happy 4th!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #48

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Xantrex fixed and batteries wired correctly

An update on the Xantrex 458...took our rig to ONE STOP CUSTOM SHOP in Colorado Springs and the owner, Robert, was THE BEST! He replaced the AC board in the unit in about 2 hours for around $800. The first thing he noticed when we pulled in and he looked at our battery bank was the cables were hooked up incorrectly to charge 3 batteries. We were basically charging one battery and drawing off one battery. Luckily we didn't ruin them in the last 3 years. After he rewired the bank, we went from having a charge for only a few hours to not having to run the gen for 15 hours! Woot Woot!
If it weren't so hot here we wouldn't have to run the gen but I NEED my AC We will be going back to his shop in August to have solar installed and we will be totally self-sufficient

Thanks to everyone who helped me through this whole ordeal. This is the BEST rv website I have been on and the most helpful
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #49

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
varankins3.

It sounds like you're making some great progress, and I'm glad to hear that you got a battery problem fixed that you didn't even know about. It sounds like you'll be in much better shape going forward.

And we're happy to hear that the iRV2 forums are helping out, that's what we're here for.

Thanks for the followup posting to let us know your progress.

Cheers!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Well, that lasted one year......bummer. I think I will buy another new 458 and install at $1000 vs about $1800 for the other one. I certainly will not do a repair. There must be an electrical stress point somewhere. The first one had no issues for the first twelve years and I don't think I will own this rig for twelve more years.
OK, I bought this one on ebay:

Xantrex Freedom 458 RV Inverter and Monitor Panel 2000 Watt | eBay

and finished the installation a while ago. All is good

The seller did a great job of packaging and UPS of delivering with no dings or issues.

A question was asked about quietness and this is hard to hear, where my original was always a bit noisy. The date on it is 2008.

I am a happy camper.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, repair, replace