Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #1

Fresh water back flow thru pump to tank

I need some advice. Just started having the problem. Hooked up to freshwater at the RV park, water selector switch to city water and I'm getting backflow through the pump to the tank. Any ideas? I'm sure there's a backflow valve someplace I just don't know where it is.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #2

If the pump is still working otherwise, you can cut a check valve in after the pump. If the pump is failing then replace the pump.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When our pump started to do this, it lasted 1 week and then died, just put a new one in and be done with it. Or at least buy one to have on hand for when it dies, which will be at the most inopportune time. I had to pay $100 for something I could have gotten from Amazon for $70.50.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

FWIW - you might want to check and see if there is a repairable check valve in your pump. A lot cheaper than the pump itself. Worst case one can always add a valve in series with the pump. I'd be inclined to use a sharkbite type ball valve and shut if if I was hooking up to outside water pressure. YMMV.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #5

Lots of good input on this issue--sounds like the check valve in the pump is failing. Depending on the model, you might could get a replacement head for the existing pump. However, a new pump is probably cheaper in the long run. You can also put a aux check valve in front of the pump--the problem there is that the short distance between the pump and the newly added check valve doesnt leave much space for the pump to pump-up/loss pressure so it may cause your pump to cycle. I added an aux valve to protect the pump but also added a small expansion tank to over come the potential cycling problem.....
PS--the expansion tank is not a bad addition anyway--smooths out the pump cycles when you are drawing small amounts of water.
PSS--I also replaced the fresh water tank fill valve and just plumbed a separate inlet for that tank. The OEM switch valve is a piece of c....... and can cause by-pass issues too......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

If there was back-feeding through the pump when on city water, then there would be back-feeding through the pump when on tank water causing the pump to cut in and out constantly even when not using water.

If that isn't happening then maybe there is feeding through a faulty tank fill valve.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #7

Are you positive that the problem is backflow through the pump? My city water/fill valve seal went haywire, causing the pump to continue to cycle, or for the city water to slowly fill the water tank, depending on the position of the valve. I replaced the seal (easier than removing the valve), and the problem went away. Cheap and easy fix, for once!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Tom, you probably already know this but the pump needs to be off before turning on city water or it will pump and recycle water back to the tank. Is this what's happening or is it flowing back into the tank without the pump running?
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #9

Problem is been verified it is back flowing through the pump with the pump off. The pump is only a year old and is an aquajet 55, evidently this is a bigger piece of crap than the Shurflow.
Contacted manufacture, wait to hear what they told me. They told me that the pump does not have a black backflow valve but acts like one and then after year or so it loses tolerance and will allow backflow through the pump. There proposed fixed is to add a external backflow valve at my expense. The pump still has a year of warranty left I did add the Extertal backflow valve and it did fix the problem however the pump is not operating the way it was designed and I intend to go after them for warranty replacement. BEWARE OF THE AQUAJET 55
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Tinytom, you should also check the city water/tank fill valve, if it is leaking you will see similar issues.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #11

Similar but different--if the fill valve is leaking back--the water goes thru the fill pipe at the top of the tank--if its the pump, it will go back thru the pump feed line, not as obvious......

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water