Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
All, I am aware this has been discussed in the past, but could not find the thread.

My fresh water tank has developed a leak at the fitting where it supplies the coach with fresh water. It is not the threaded pipe connection. It is the fitting which is pressed into the tank itself. In the discussion I have read in the past, various remedies were tried to combat this issue, but I don't remember what the final solution was.

I have drained the tank, but do not want to start taking things apart until I know the best way to fix this.

I was thinking of getting a pipe tap, and threading the tank penetration, then purchasing a threaded brass fitting, Teflon taping the fitting thoroughly, and screwing it into the newly tapped hole.

I however do not want to start messing with this until I have read what others did to remedy this problem.

It's important I get this fixed, because it's an apex, and all the fresh water goes through the tank for the coach, there is no city water fill. Need water in the tank, so I can get the HH repaired.
Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
All, I am aware this has been discussed in the past, but could not find the thread.

My fresh water tank has developed a leak at the fitting where it supplies the coach with fresh water. It is not the threaded pipe connection. It is the fitting which is pressed into the tank itself. In the discussion I have read in the past, various remedies were tried to combat this issue, but I don't remember what the final solution was.

I have drained the tank, but do not want to start taking things apart until I know the best way to fix this.

I was thinking of getting a pipe tap, and threading the tank penetration, then purchasing a threaded brass fitting, Teflon taping the fitting thoroughly, and screwing it into the newly tapped hole.

I however do not want to start messing with this until I have read what others did to remedy this problem.

It's important I get this fixed, because it's an apex, and all the fresh water goes through the tank for the coach, there is no city water fill. Need water in the tank, so I can get the HH repaired.
Thank you in advance.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

I am not sure where your leak is. Is it the area where the plastic piece, with the female threads that the tee is screwed into, is "welded" to the tank, at the weld? These can be seen on two places in this photo. 1 with plug and the one you are talking about.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

In your picture above, there is a flange/opening coming out of the FWT. Pressed into that opening is a 90 degree elbow pointed out toward the side of the coach or looking at you in the picture. It's leaking at that flange/opening.

I called the dealer and talked to the service department, and the person I talked to said to use "Bostic 1100" sealant on the fitting/flange. He said it does not get hard, but seals with a lot of force, and stays a little malleable for expansion due to temperature.

See the link below-scroll down a bit to see it.
http://www.bostik-us.com/products/index.asp?fa=categori...nId=10&categoryId=42

I mentioned to him, why cannot I just take a tap, thread the hole, and put in a brass fitting with teflon tape on it. He said that would work, but I am dubious about doing it that way, because once down that road, it might not work, and then what do I do????
Old 08-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
jww

Old RV'er,
Just went thru the leaking freshwater tank issue myself. The fitting you are refering to is called a "spinweld" fitting in all probability. If the fitting is in clear view, I would suggest finding a poly tank repair facility in your area. They can weld the existing fitting to the tank. All other remedies I investigated were a gamble.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I have given thought to a weld fix, but what happens if that fitting at a later time acts up? I was talking to the Master RV tech who is working on the HH system, he recommended some stuff called "Sikaflex #221. I checked it out and it's approved for potable water systems. He said it works great for this kind of problem. Ordered it and once it gets here I will fix the fitting. Should not take that long to repair, then it needs to set up for about 24 hours. It does not get hard, but has a 400 psi rating on it's holding ability.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
All,
Please view the photograph above to understand a little bit about my comment of the repair.

We have an APEX, and because of that, all fresh water must come from the tank, there is no city water connection. The plumbing runs different as well, so Dale's photos above do not show correctly how the APEX plumbing runs, and different models would have a different layout anyway.

When the fresh water tank was molded, the main supply fitting is threaded for NPT (national pipe thread). But the connection was not made with enough depth for the fitting to fully seat. In other words you screw it in, and it bottoms out, causing it to leak.

I put lots of Teflon tape on it, then put some Sikaflex 221 on the fitting, and screwed it back in. Hopefully this will keep it from leaking, and I might as a further guarantee, put a hose clamp over the outside of the molded connection, which would make it a little tighter, being careful to not over tighten the clamp because it could cause a fracture where it protrudes down from the tank.

I blame WRV quality control for this problem, as the engineer should have allowed for a deeper fitting to screw in so the elbow would tighten up.

I could relate a Honda Story, but time does not allow. But it would show two different mindsets on how quality is approached and achieved.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Well, the first fix did not stop the leak, so I put a hose clamp around the molded part, and that seemed to do it. I did not tighten it down to much, since I'm sure it would brake the molded part and cause it to seperate or crack. Another better Idea from WRV.