Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Fridge gas burner

I usually run my fridge
(Dometic NDR1402) on gas unless I am not paying for electric at the campsite. I have been told it runs more efficiently on gas, so have done that when possible. So a few days ago the gas burner started cycling on and off more often than I feel is normal. The burner comes on for about 30 seconds, then off for 10 seconds, then back on for 30, etc.. I remember it operating more like on for 30 minutes, then off for a few minutes, then back on again. I emailed Dometic and they replied to take it to a service center. I changed it to electric and it is working fine, but I do want to fix it. Could it be the thermocouple? Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks for your help in advance! Mike.

Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

Could be the thermocouple or a few other things.

Could be low flame height causing the thermocouple not to produce the needed milivoltage to hold the gas valve open.

Low flame height could be from low gas pressure at the regulator or a crimped gas line or a clogged orifice or a dirty burner tube or even an obstructed chimney.

Thermocouple change is easy as is visually checking flame height. Gas pressure measurement will need the meter and the rest can be done by blowing or sucking with the Kirby.

As for more efficient on gas v electric, you have to have the tanks filled and take time to do that whereas once the shore plug is set in place that part is finished. You get lots of electricity for your dollar at the CG so might as well use it for the refrigerator and save the gas for later.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #3

Could also be some obstruction in the flame chamber or gas feed (bugzzz), or the burner is sooted up & needs a quick cleaning.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
You should also look for spider webs because it seams that the little critters like the smell of propane, as well as the other items mentioned.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
OK, so I looked at the flame and area surrounding it, the flame looks strong, and the area looks pretty clean, but I will use the compressor to blow the area clean, and then vacume if needed. I will get a mirror to check the chamber out too....Thanks for the suggestions
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I cleaned the burner tube and repositioned the thermocouple and the fridge seems to be working fine on gas now. Simple fix, I hope that is all it is. Thanks for the suggestions. Mike.

Tags
fridge, gas