Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #1

Frig Replacement Question

Considering replacing my Domedic NDR 1492 side-by-side refrigerator with a residential unit. The 99 Alpines the refrigerator sits above the furnace. Has anyone replaced their refrigerator with this configuration? If so, what residential unit did you install?
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Added an 18 CF Insignia Model NS-RTM18SS7 Top Freezer into my 2002 36' FDDS. The previous Dometic sat on a shelf above the heater, which had to be lowered plus trim work around the new fridge. This fridge barely fit, extends about 4-5" from frame, Doors clear sink area when slide is out, Only open's half way with slides in. Had to rig up something to keep each door closed during travel, and open when fridge is off. Little cozy to pass by with slide in. It's pretty quiet.

Bit of overkill, but we wanted the larger freezer.

Bernie
Pearland, Tx
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #3

Bernie, thanks for the feedback. Where you able to side the frig flush up against the outside wall? I have measured and measured and not sure if the loss in space, the frig sticking out into the room, is the compromise I am not sure about. Any pictures you could post?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The coach is in for service (main slide cylinders, air bags etc) for another 3 weeks, so no pics at this time. Remind me later if you still want some.
Might want to check for wiring, etc above your current fridge, 99 might be different than the 02, which was open space. It's back as far as possible to the wall. Don't think I could reach the plug on the wall. The fridge has no handles, so its the flat door and gaskets that extend. The slide cyl busted in Dec, so we spent almost 3 weeks traveling with the slide in, "pinta" but ok. We wanted the larger size, as we bring back.food that is not availible in Houston. It's been in almost a year now and we don't even notice the door. No dings, dents, etc...I think it's called a cabinet style. The bottom draw style were too wide for the area. Best Buy web site has a pretty good area to sort fridges (they sell), plug in cut dimensions and it gives you a list of models. It took us a while to settle on a type and size. Good hunting,

Bernie
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

Thanks again Bernie! More things to consider
Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ... there are specific residential refrigerators designed for “cabinet depth”. These refrigerators are sold by many typical manufactures such as Frigidaire, LG, etc. They are typically 28-30” in depth with the height varying by cu. ft. size. I’ve been looking because my old Amanda is still cooling but everything else doesn’t work. It’s 16-years old so only a matter of time before it fails completely.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks Bob, have a lot of limitations with my current enclosure, furnace below, existing wiring and the walkway space between the front of the frig and pantry, and the door swing -- typically the frig door needs a full 90 degrees for any drawer to function correctly. I am currently looking at 15 cu ft Haier. Will still have to modify/lower the enclosure deck without restricting the airflow to the furnace. Would like to go with a larger cu ft capacity frig, but ...

Even looked into replacement cooling units, absorption and 12 volt DC compressor units, and door seals and shelves. In total about a $1,500 overhaul plus my labor. But in the end, would still have a 20 year old frig. Thankfully this old Domedic hasn't failed or caused a fire.

Haier bottom freezer: https://www.haierappliances.com/appl...ecs/hrb15n3bgs
Old 02-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #8

I suspect the 99 Alpines have the least flexible space for converting from an absorption frig to a residential unit. After looking at what seemed like 50 different units, it seems only one will work with some enclosure modifications. Only a French door will not pinch the walkway to much and allow for full door swing. So it is on order. Then the adventure begins with removing the old unit and getting it out the window and bring the new unit in the same way. Will start a new thread with pictures this conversion.

Fisher & Paykel refrigerator can be found here: https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitc...170ADX4_N.html
Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #9

For what its worth we put a small dorm style fridge and small chest freezer in the closet. We don't have an abundance of hanging clothes so that wasn't an issue. Originally had a cord running to the socket next to the fridge,but recently had the washing machine out so I tapped a new outlet into that and mounted it in the closet
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:30 AM   #10

I DID IT IN MY 99 ALPINE. You want to install a counter depth Samsung 18 RHF french door refrigerator. Did it 3 years ago. Works great. It fits over the heater. The suburban heater is designed as a zero clearance unit so not a problem. I created a platform with 6x6 cut on end with 2 L metal rails. It was tight height wise but the 18 CU ft unit fit width is no problem. Because of the electronics in the unit as well as the 4 TVS computers any new tech, you need a pure sine inverter. With the age of the coach it was time to change it out anyways. I went with the Magnum 2812. Works great. Easy to install in our 40 FDS. Refer was $1000 the inverter $1400. A new Dometic to replace my old one was $3500. This was a no brainer. no more potential for fire,( dometic & norcold refers are the number 1 cause of RV fires just ahead of engines, then brakes) it is a much much bigger fridge, 200 lbs lighter (the later models are an equal weight exchange) and uses 5 amps when it runs twice a day. We dry camped for 7 days with the original 8D battery in quartzite. Ran the generator twice a day for an hour or two. We now have 2 550 Amp hour batteries. you can call me and I can talk you through it. The is the best mod we have done in our coach and we have done many. Best benefit of all... frozen Ice Cream! sorry About the sideways pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1472678670626.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	236515  
CarynsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:38 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
For a latch system..THIS one works
https://www.recubed.solutions/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181109_112943 (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	236516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181109_112927.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	236517  

Name:	IMG_20181109_112912.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	236518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181109_112857.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	236519  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:56 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
end, would still have a 20 year old frig. Thankfully this old Domedic hasn't failed or caused a fire.
Replaced our 1492 with the Sammy 18...
When we removed the damnetic found singe/scorch marks where the flue goes up to the roof...was just a matter of time for a fire..
Will never go back to an absorption fridge..
Ice Cream is frozen rock solid (and the fish/meat too),beer is cold and the milk does not sour before it's time...
And if I have to run the genset an extra 2 or 3 hours ....so what..I have real ice cubes for my evening toddy.
Which reminds me ...try to avoid the models with the ice/water thru the door..more issues than it's worth (high failure history for all brands)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarynsDream View Post
You can call me and I can talk you through it.
Bruce, thanks for the feedback. Replaced the old inverter with a Samlex pure sinewave inverter/charger a couple of years back. Great upgrade, has performed flawlessly. Samlex can be found here:
http://www.samlexamerica.com/

So the new frig is sitting at Lowes until next month, when I will have time to do the changeover. This unit I think is a couple of inches shorter than yours, so I think the enclosure modifications should be fairly straightforward. If I run into a snag, I will ring you.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarynsDream View Post
No more potential for fire, (dometic & norcold refers are the number 1 cause of RV fires just ahead of engines, then brakes).
Been gritting my teeth ever since I bought this couch in 2015 because of the fire issue. I inspect the backside regularly for any signs failure. Some may say I am overly concerned, but I will be glad when it is gone. Thankfully this 20-year-old unit has worked fine - a good thing. I do get tired of the frost build-up during humid weather. As I said earlier, I will start a new thread with pictures of the install.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement