Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Question Front and Side LED Marker Lamps

At the risk of seeming lazy (but it is 100 degrees outside right now), has anyone replaced the front or side, amber marker lamps with LED lamps?

Thanks to Jim A. I have ordered the rear, red marker lamps (Optronics MCL-71RB) from eTrailer.com. I'd like to replace the front markers and the side markers, too. Unfortunately, they are not the same as the rear ones (no chrome trim).

Anyone?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Check here! IOWA80.COM - On-line chrome shop for chrome and stainless semi truck accessories

They have all kinds of lights and other Chrome truck things.

Dick
Old 06-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Milt,

I did not change the light housings, but changed the type 57 bulbs to LED's purchased off e-bay...

$1 each

2 X Super WHITE HIGH POWER LED BULBS 1895 53 57 BA9s US: eBay Motors (item 320538117855 end time Jun-23-10 18:44:32 PDT)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Takepride,

I used these on my coach:

http://maxxima.com/products/product_...ker/view/.html

I used the M20361Y amber lights. They are the same size, shape, and screw pattern as the originals. But I did have to slightly enlarge the rectangular mounting hole in the cap.

These lights are designed for Freightliner trucks. So other lights designed for Freightliner might work as well.

Grote Industries: Product #47063 - Yellow

This website shows a chart with a few other part numbers.

I was removing them to reseal them, not just to put in LED's. You need to remove the clearance lights (the front ones anyway) to get to the bulb for replacement, so since I had to remove them and reinstall them anyway, I chose to get new ones instead of putting LED bulbs in the existing ones.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
What I did was to replaced my front and side marker lights bulbs with LEDS from Super Bright Leds, http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Guys!

Though I have already ordered the Optronics MCL-71RB rear marker lights, I still have a question. These have two diodes. Has anyone seen the same sized fixture with more diodes? I'm not looking for energy savings, as it doesn't matter when running down the road. I'm looking for increased brightness and better visibility, like many semi-trucks enjoy.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #7

I swapped out the marker light fixtures with maximma p/n M23015Y fixtures. I am in the process of installing the same fixture in each front wheel well, although they will become L/R signal lights. These fixtures have 14ea. x 5 mm LED'S, and are poly-carbonate fixtures.

Dennis Winquist
jwinqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #8

I avoid driving at night wherever possible!! Easier to be seen in the daylight.

Those are the only ones I found with those dimensions when I was looking, but that was a few years ago. If you don't mind different dimensions, there are lots of red LED clearance lights out there.

Dave Fernandez added some nice looking LED running/turn signal lights on his coach, underneath the existing clearance lights on the spoiler. Those would help you be seen.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Dave:

Pictures! Pictures!

I've seen a couple Prevosts with the three strips of "high-center" stop lamps and thought that would be cool, but the thought of a solid band, attached under the spoiler, with turn signal capability has me intrigued....
Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced ALL my lights with LED; clearence, side markers, tail lights, front turn and corner turn signals. Got them all from a local place. Truck in Stuff, that deal with big rigs.

Good luck, you'll love it when done!!
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not.. Yet,, I will as the need arrises.. HOWEVER one word of caution.

MOST marker lights, also tail lights are wired between the marker/tail light circuit and GROUND.

however on many rigs at least one on each side, often near the front, sometimes more, are wired between the Marker light line and the front TURN SIGNALS.

That way they flash when signaling a turn

LED bulbs here might not flash properly if you don't have the marker lights turned on.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Dave:

Pictures! Pictures!

I've seen a couple Prevosts with the three strips of "high-center" stop lamps and thought that would be cool, but the thought of a solid band, attached under the spoiler, with turn signal capability has me intrigued....
Try this item by ANZO. We have installed hundreds on trucks. Not yet an MH. Though I think it would look great. May try it this week. My suggestion is to use two light bars. Only hook up the right turn signal on the right side; the left the same. Anzo USA - Performance Lighting
Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
C&R:

I had thought of those, but after seeing the Superbright LED strips of the Prevost, I'm thinking something beefier/brighter, but not needing to be cut in, and spanning the entire spoiler.

The Anzos are 49" or 60" and the spoiler looks to be about 80"-84". Maybe another company will have Superbrights in a strip for a similar truck installation. If I see anything, I'll let you (all) know. I think I may go for LED taillights first.

Dave:

What kind of lights did you use?

Jim A:

I just switched out my rear clearance lights for the two-diode LEDs today, they look great. I ran into the same issue with the reversed wiring. Three were wired correctly one wrong. I followed their pattern, thinking how smart I was and then went back and rewired the two bad ones. I ought to have just wired them hot.

Dennis:

Can we see a photo of your install? I think the signal flashing at the front near the wheels would be a great safety item for changing lanes. Nearby cars would certainly know you are about to move over.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Jim A:

I took measurements of the existing side markers (fronts are the same) and they match the measurements of the Grote lamps you mention above. I'm double checking the screw spacing tomorrow. The nice part is that they look like the incandescents in day light.

The originals are Truck Lite and the LED version is Model 25 (p/n 25250R/Y & 25750Y).

They all seem to run $16.98 to $21.50, either brand. Both are 6 LED.

Tags
led, marker light