Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

Front Door

My front door(2008 Alpine) has a hinged bracket on top of the door. It looks like something is missing! The door, when open does not have a latch that will keep the door open. If left unattended and the wind gets up the door will shut. It looks like there was kind of latch on the bracket on top of the door but is not there.I don't see any manufacture's name on the door. Can anyone shed light on this door?

Thanks
Still learning the new coach!!
Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #2

Assuming your '08 has the same door as mine, the door is made by PTL Engineering. You can find them by searching Google or whomever. It is a Pos-a-loc system for holding the door open. At the top there is a spring loaded cam that rotates to hold the door open. Those often get bent if the wind catches the door and slams it open. The cam is connected to a cable that is attached to the door latch mechanism to release it. Sometimes that cable needs to be adjusted.

Get on a ladder and look at the mechanism on the top of the door. If you see that cam you might want to lube it and see if it is just stuck. I had to replace mine as the shaft was bend and binding, and cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for the whole mechanism. Replacing it is a DIY project, or it can be. If you need to replace it they will likely ask the brand of coach and model year. For my year they wanted to know how many screws were holding the bracket on the door frame.

Have fun as you discover all the little things involved with these coaches!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Although PTL made the door for the '08 the latch was not the same as fitted to earlier coaches. I believe you have the "door check" not the "pos-a-locs". Check this PTL page for replacement info.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #4

I have the pos-a-lock like John is talking about. The lock is a spring in the hinge in the middle pivot. I had to replace mine as it would not lock open. Since it is exposed to the elements when the door is open, I do lube it once in awhile.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #5

That's It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Although PTL made the door for the '08 the latch was not the same as fitted to earlier coaches. I believe you have the "door check" not the "pos-a-locs". Check this PTL page for replacement info.

Yes, this is the one I have. It's just a bracket with a slot and it will not catch when the door is open. I guess the slot is so worn that it will not hold. I will call and see if I can order a new one.

Thanks for the links for the door.
Vtxbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #6

It's only recently that PTL has put that information on their website.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My 07 has the "Pos-a-Lock" which is a pia. I saw an Alpine with the "Door Check" who said it was a direct replacement, but I can't remember who it was. I called PTL and was told by a nice lady that the Door Check will not replace the Pos-a-Lock because of the hole in the door. Can somebody confirm that it will or it won't?

Tags
door