Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hello All!

I parked the coach on a level pad at home, then "leveled" it with the jacks. The slides were "in" all the way.

It's been sitting for about 2 weeks and my better half just phoned to tell me that the forward edge of the front slide (living room/kitchen slide) has drifted out 3" (she measured). The rear edge of the same slide is tight against the coach.

The Chassis Battery Switch has been off and we've been experimenting with voltage drop vs. trickle charging the new House batteries and the House Switch has been on and off.

She turned on the Master Battery Switches and Retracted the slide and it came right in tight.

There are no visible leaks of fluids to the ground or in any compartments that I've noticed.

Once or twice I've been Retracting that slide and the inside has tipped up wildly like the upper wood trim is going to hit the ceiling. I've stopped it and ran it out and in (over & over) until it came in level and tight.

On another brand coach, my brother in law inserted a pin or latch to keep his slide either in or out but promptly forgot his gadget and bent things when he ran the slide one way or another. So, I don't think I want to do anything like that!

We've only owned the coach about 3 months so we're still newbies. Any thoughts on what is happening or how to fix it would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello All!

I parked the coach on a level pad at home, then "leveled" it with the jacks. The slides were "in" all the way.

It's been sitting for about 2 weeks and my better half just phoned to tell me that the forward edge of the front slide (living room/kitchen slide) has drifted out 3" (she measured). The rear edge of the same slide is tight against the coach.

The Chassis Battery Switch has been off and we've been experimenting with voltage drop vs. trickle charging the new House batteries and the House Switch has been on and off.

She turned on the Master Battery Switches and Retracted the slide and it came right in tight.

There are no visible leaks of fluids to the ground or in any compartments that I've noticed.

Once or twice I've been Retracting that slide and the inside has tipped up wildly like the upper wood trim is going to hit the ceiling. I've stopped it and ran it out and in (over & over) until it came in level and tight.

On another brand coach, my brother in law inserted a pin or latch to keep his slide either in or out but promptly forgot his gadget and bent things when he ran the slide one way or another. So, I don't think I want to do anything like that!

We've only owned the coach about 3 months so we're still newbies. Any thoughts on what is happening or how to fix it would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Old 10-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #3

Mike- I'll betcha you have a leak somewhere, and that you can find it. The hydraulic fluid used in the HWH slide & leveler system is very clear, so you have to look closely to find it. Easiest way is to feel along the tubing in the basement ceiling till you find a drip or slick spot that is wet. Then snug the offending fitting just barely, then snug it again (don't herf on it like an ape).
My 06 did the same thing, tho both edges of the slide came out to some extent.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

When I retract our slide it tilts up a bit toward the ceiling. The rear cabinet has about 1 inch of clearance from the ceiling. Ours has always been this way. I also hold the retract button for a count of 5, after the slide has moved all the way in.....out too.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Mike, Thanks for the tips. When I get home I'll do some pub crawling (oops, basement crawling).

Tom, Thanks for the ideas.

Mike

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Old 10-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #6

Mike and Mike, I agree with engineer Mike. Look under the coach compartment that houses the hydraulic manifold. Any significand leak will eventually seep through holes and down the white metal barrier. Touch the bottom of the manifold connections. The wet ones need a very slight tightening.

Jerry, 2006 34
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Jerry,

I'll be home tonight and looking (and feeling) in there tomorrow ow Wednesday. Then we'll see you Thursday evening!

Mike

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS