Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Front end mask scratched

Was just de-bugging the front end and noticed that at some point when I was having the coach washed, a hard bristle brush must have been used. The whole masked area is covered with scratches. Anyone know of a way to polish the mask and get rid of the scratches?
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There is a good chance that the scratches you are seeing are actually cracks that happen when the film is failing. I just spent 6 hours trying to polish out the film on my coach. I used the same tools that I use to polish out plastic headlight lenses. Even after sanding it with 500 grit sandpaper, the scratches were still there. Then I had to sand with 600,800,1000,3000,then plastic cleaner and polish. It is nice and shiney, but the scratches remain.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #3

Yea mine is showing micro scratches all over it, The mask on my Toyota started failing 2 years ago and now is a real mess. Good thing about it the paint on the Toyota stays on when the mask is removed. I doubt the paint will stay on on our Alpines.

I waxed mine several times a year not sure if that was a good idea or not.

I also tried plastic polish, It looks better but as photoadjuster states the scratches are sill there.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #4

I've used an orbital polisher with polishing compound.
It doesn't remove all the scratches, but it does look a lot better.
Clear Automotive Coating (Clear Bra - DetailingWiki)