Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #1

My wife & I spent Thanksgiving in Mt Pleasant, SC just outside of Charleston. We have a nephew that lives there and we love the area and took advantage of the opportunity. We stayed at the Mt Pleasant/Charleston KOA campground off Rte 17, which by the way is very nice, easy to manuever in and out with quite nice sites as well as lovely people. Point of the post is I noticed a motorhome the day I arrived with a formed heavy plastic(common description) shield mounted to the front of the unit with hinges I assume to allow to open for the generator. I never got an opportunity to chat with the owners or ever get close enough to really tell you about it except that it was mounted with spacers between the pre-formed shield and the motorhome with some type of fastener off of the front of the unit and certainly created a tremendous front end shield for debris and pretty much anything else from what I saw. Does anyone know anything about this product or is it something that was created as a one time product by the owner? It was not in anyway unattractive. To my disappoint me they left the following morning before I had an opportunity to chat with them.

2nd issue, as this was our first full time successful shakedown cruise, if some of you recall we attempted one prior in early May I beleive and 400 miles out the rear differential blew in our unit. Fortunatly this shakedown was much more successful. I did encounter an issue with my generator in that it would not run with the coach engine running. It would start, run for app. 45 -60 seconds and shut-off. As soon as I shut the engine down it was not a problem. Any thoughts? Mike, I figure this is right down your alley. Danny I expect a follow-up to Mike's analogy. Quite frankly I will accept any thoughts, suggestions or responses of any kind. Thanking you all in advance. Hope everyone had a great holiday. We had fried turkey for the first time in our lives and it was out of this world.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34 FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #2

My wife & I spent Thanksgiving in Mt Pleasant, SC just outside of Charleston. We have a nephew that lives there and we love the area and took advantage of the opportunity. We stayed at the Mt Pleasant/Charleston KOA campground off Rte 17, which by the way is very nice, easy to manuever in and out with quite nice sites as well as lovely people. Point of the post is I noticed a motorhome the day I arrived with a formed heavy plastic(common description) shield mounted to the front of the unit with hinges I assume to allow to open for the generator. I never got an opportunity to chat with the owners or ever get close enough to really tell you about it except that it was mounted with spacers between the pre-formed shield and the motorhome with some type of fastener off of the front of the unit and certainly created a tremendous front end shield for debris and pretty much anything else from what I saw. Does anyone know anything about this product or is it something that was created as a one time product by the owner? It was not in anyway unattractive. To my disappoint me they left the following morning before I had an opportunity to chat with them.

2nd issue, as this was our first full time successful shakedown cruise, if some of you recall we attempted one prior in early May I beleive and 400 miles out the rear differential blew in our unit. Fortunatly this shakedown was much more successful. I did encounter an issue with my generator in that it would not run with the coach engine running. It would start, run for app. 45 -60 seconds and shut-off. As soon as I shut the engine down it was not a problem. Any thoughts? Mike, I figure this is right down your alley. Danny I expect a follow-up to Mike's analogy. Quite frankly I will accept any thoughts, suggestions or responses of any kind. Thanking you all in advance. Hope everyone had a great holiday. We had fried turkey for the first time in our lives and it was out of this world.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34 FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT

Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 AM   #3

I had a similar problem with my generator on our 2005 38FDTS this summer. The shut down resulted in a code 27. The Cummins shop in Amarillo, TX tried replacing the controller with no success and then replaced the stator. I still had problems keeping the generator running on the road to run the roof airconditioners. Another Cummins shop tried replacing the fuel filter with no results. This problem has improved much recently and I have no explanation for this. If it does shut down I try to hold the start switch in the OFF position for about 30 seconds to prime it. This seems to help also.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:01 AM   #4

Hey Ted III, we have had this shield on our coach for 6 years wouldn't take a farm in GA. for it. Summit Products Inc. same web page great people to do business with also get the quick disconnect conectors. Good Luck
Old 12-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #5

Pdiddley, that is exactly what I saw & what I want. Thanks for the tip. I already dropped Summit a note and Im sure I will hear back on Monday. Thanks again for the info.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
Alpine 2005 34" FDDS
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
Old 12-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #6

Ted - Everyone has their own tastes etc. but you might want to investigate it in detail. Country Coach and Monaco used to offer them (coach armor) but they have backed off now. Lots of holes required to mount stand-offs, washing and maintenance access, etc. Just be aware of all issues...it may or may not be the ideal thing for you. No offense to anyone...we all have different likes and dislikes.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #7

SteveS, point well taken. I do have 3M protection on the front as it came from WRV. I agree that the less holes the better. I appreciate your thoughts and will certainly keep them in mind before doing something I may regret.

Thank you
Ted Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
Old 12-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #8

Ted III:
I found that the way to run my generator as well as my engine was to turn off the charger on the generator panel. Could be to much electric from the both the alternator and charger?

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #9

Ted-
No experience w/the gen issue yet. My dash air is good enough to not need roof air while travelling, and any other use of 110V on the road- I'd kick on the inverter.
Seen "Coach Armor" for years and have never seen an installation that would really add to the look of the coach over a long stretch of years. The oldies are yellowed, faded to opaque, cracked, etc. but you don't see the paint that was/is "protected" cuz its behind that big chunk of plastic all the time. To me the 3M film is a good compromise, though it will probably need to be redone after 5 or 6 years along w/filling & touching up pits from the really big rocks. T'aint no free lunch. Maybe a big sponge on the front cap?
Saw one rig in Reno last year w/a metal frame standing off the front end about 4" w/green sunscreen fabric over it that was gawd-awful uglee. He didn't have to clean bugs off the paint, but hoo-weee, she were homely.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #10

Mike, I have missed your responses. Your right the dash air is terrific but there were a couple of times during the summer that we needed the roof airs and the generator worked perfectly. This is just a recent nusiance. Also since my inverter has never worked I did use the generator from time to time. It is going back to the dealers so they can play & fiddle. By the way from you last description of the metal front end with what ever else you mentioned I would much rather clean the bugs. I used to spray my boys motocross bikes when they were racing with WD40 and the mud or sand would not stick to them. I thought about it for the front of the motorhome as long as you wash it off when you get where you are going.

Ted Ulmer
Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin used to offer them as an option on the Allegro Bus but have since dropped it and now offer the 3M shield as standard equipment. A dealer I talked to conceded that they didn't care for them. Due to the airflow, there is a vacuum behind the unit when traveling. That tends to suck up all the dust and it sticks to the backside of the shield, which is then hard to get to to clean. Also, the eventual yellowing is an issue. My personal preference is the 3M or Diamond Shield.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #12

EngineerMike, did I understand your reply to Ted III you haven't used your roof air while traveling and if you did you would use your inverter instead of the generator? If so what size inverters do you have?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
TedIII,

About '91, John Schroeder and I made "Bus Armor" specificaly for Alpine coaches. In those days we were allowed to sell stuff at the rallies and we sold seversl in Topenish. They were made of 1/4" Lexan and were tough as nails. The ones we made were fastened to the gen slide and the whole thing came out with the slide for fueling. They worked great - I once had 3" of slush hanging on mine with no problem.

There was an issue cleaning behind them - we made a "T" handle out of 1/2" PVC and used it to push a towel around behind the shield - it was a nuisance. I don't think the 3M stuff was out yet, but it has taken over the market, as it is so much easier to deal with aand it may be les expensive when considering installation.

Chose your own poison.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #14

Vagabondman/Frank, I agree with your thought about the 3M product which I already have on my coach. I very much appreciate your talking the time to respond. I am sure the Lexan will take quite a beating but it would seem like all the way around the 3M product is what I will stick with.
Thank you
Ted Ulmer