Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
The windshield is the suspect in most cases when water is coming in from the front area. We had our PS one taken out and resealed, and it still leaks some but that did not happen for about 6 months. I need to make an appointment once we get home to have it fixed. The DS was also replaced by A-1 Glass in Eugene, OR and no problems with that one at all. I have heard about the clearance lights, but the dealer sealed those because of the original leaks, which turned out to be the windshields.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #16

Monty,

The windshield could not have been a cause of any of my leaks as the water was dripping from well above the top of the windshield. I doubt it would be the cause for the guy that started this thread either as he indicated it was dripping onto the dashboard. No real way for the water to get anywhere from the top of the windshield to anything else. The water would have to go up to get to the ceiling or to anything that would drip on the dashboard. If it was running down the inside of the windshield, then probably.

A clearance light could however.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Tom for your posting about the Multi Max. I'm now out $99.....

Jim's right about the source. It'll most likely be where the satellite cable or horn tubing comes in, the front cap seal or even possibly as far back as the A/C unit. My clearance lights were so sealed in it nearly took a miracle to unstick them from the fiberglass. YMMV.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #18

Regarding the MultiMax ...it's a good tool, but if you only plan on one time limited use applications like resealing your coach this might be a cheap alternative.

Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool

I bought one last year...for a small project, used it once and it worked well. I'll probably never use it again...but it was a cool time saver.

Mine was on sale...paid $25 or so back then.

Stan..
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Thanks Tom for your posting about the Multi Max. I'm now out $99.....

I took the one from home out to the MH in Indy for the roof work, then had to buy another one...again... for the Fresno stick home. I should have talked to Stan
Old 12-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I had the same type leak in the front of my 1999 Tradewinds. I re caulked it and it still leaked. After applying 6" Eternabond two years ago the leak stopped and never came back.
Amazon.com: Eternabond RoofSeal White 6"x50': Home Improvement

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2416.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	7036  
Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I have purchased lots of tools from Harbor Freight. I have taken 99% of them back, because the quality is very poor.

An alternative would be the new Dremel Tool version of the same thing, which can rotate/vibrate at up to 21K RPMs. First Dremil makes good stuff, and they last for years, and it's only 99.00 at Home Depot. The alternative would be the Sears version, or you can go all the way to the Fein who pioneered the thing I think.

I have about 3 cracked tiles in the MH, and would consider using one of these to remove just the cracked ones and then the other attachment to remove the glue and grout, so I have the area real clean. At that point I don't know what type of new glue to use, but would figure it out something which can flex a little I think, then some grout with some flex in it as well. Since the cracked tiles don't cause any issues, it's a project I want to do once I have all the information necessary to make sure I do it correctly.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post

I took the one from home out to the MH in Indy for the roof work, then had to buy another one...again... for the Fresno stick home. I should have talked to Stan
Heck Tom:

If you're going to buy something you will hardly ever use, at least buy the best!

Actually, I will likely wear it out with all the projects I am imagining......

As soon as I get around to them.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #23

As Monty mentioned...Harbor Freight stuff is generally poor quality. In fact down right junk sometimes. It seems that small electric tools like 4" grinders and Multi tools and various others will at least hold up till you get a small job done....and once in a while just keep going, and going , and...

I've spent my life buying tools and shop equipment...Snap-On, Chicago Pneumatic, Blue Point, Robyn Air A/C equip and the list goes on... I have many more dollars in tools and equipment than in my home and my Alpine combined....then one day I decided that I was finished, (..retiring that is).

After that I didn't use my tools to make a living any more... but buying the best was a hard habit to break. I found that I was still spending hundreds of dollars on quality tools that I was only using once.

It took me a while to get used to it, but now I just buy a cheap tool if I have to have it ...and "pray" I'll only "have to" use use it once...
StansCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #24

If this doesn't fix it I will repeat as I said earlier in this post to check the seal under the air conditioner..Mel
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone used EternaBond over the roof to front cap joint - or -
for that matter -- anywhere else??
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #26

I used it on the rear cap an plan on putting it on the front.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote