Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Front slide awning.

When our 2005 36 FDDS was new we crossed the Columbia River and got hit with a 50+ mph side gust. This caused our front slide awning bracket to fail. It was literally blowing in the wind. We limped in to Yakima and had it repaired. About 3 Years later while traveling through Montana we got hit with a micro-burst and the same thing happened. Could not find a repair shop nearby equipped to work on it. Finally zip tied awning in and found a repair shop inSpokane. The mechanic there indicated it was a poor design and it hadn't been fixed properly the first time. He repaired it and sent us on our way. Well, a couple of weeks ago we got hit again with a substantial gust and the awning tried to come out but the device on top of it held so it only came out12" or so. Still kept trying to come out but held. Ok with tail wind. Only very strong crosswinds from the left seem to be the problem. Took it into our repair shop and they indicated there really wasn't much to be done to make it better. My question now is, after all this time, is if any other Alpine Owners have had similar problems and if they have, if an effective fix/remodel was discovered.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We were always concerned about an unexpected strong wind would come up and destroy our awning. We finally opted for a Carefree of Colorado:awning with "motion detector" not "wind detector". Works great looks good and the arms were installed where the old A & E awning was installed.

I believe you have 2 - options for new awnings: 1) Dometic which took over A & E, and 2) Carefree of Colorado. The C of C awning can also be tilted to cause rain water to drain and yet closes without changing it back. Good awning!

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry, you may have been talking about your slide topper whereas I was talking about a patio awning. If it is a slide topper awning I highly recommend Tough Top awnings (RV Slide-Out Topper Awning Replacement Fabric Installation). Changed all of my slide toppers. The material appears to be considerably stronger than the original material.

The anti-bellowing device is the only means of stopping this toppers from unfurling. They need to be mounted in the "11 O'Clock" or "1 O'Clock" position (depending on which side) to operate properly.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

Not a very clear description of the problem so I understand your confusion Bob. If it is the anti-billowing arm then I agree with what you said. In fact I had to replace mine last year and was careful to get it as close to the 1 o'clock position (driver side) as possible. It is made of cast base metal so it is not very strong. I also replaced the topper fabric with the one you mentioned and because it is shorter than the original it is held much tighter to the roller.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Yep that's it. Anti billowing. I'll check the position. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

Had that happen to our 2007 Fleetwood Bounder I installed anti billowing devices on both ends of the living rood slide, at a suggestion I read in irv2.com.. haven't had it on the road yet in a gusting wind . The devices were 19.95 each. Thomas rv.com.