Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Maybe those of us w/a co-pilot should invoke random practice drills for a blow-out. Like Inspector Clouseau's Kato, the spousal unit could make like s/he's making a sandwich, fill a bag w/air, then sneak up on the driver & POP it behind his/her head. A successful reaction would consist of quickly thumbing the CC off @ the SmartWheel or lightly tapping the brakes to release CC. The spousal unit could time the response. As we practice, so shall we play.
EMike: How is the spousal unit going to pop the bag and hack the clock at the same time? Sounds to much like simulator play to an old pilot.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
We have seen north of 80 also (Patty is usually asleep), but remember, almost all of our tires are only rated for 75 MPH sustained.
TD , Thanks for the Video.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Shellback1 or anyone with this experiece would you tell us how you got it under control. I think some experts are telling us to speed up first and I am having a hard time excepting that. So far I have always started with light brake pressure and no problem but that was a 5th wheel and now I have a class a. Any experiences to share?
James Wilson

Dagwood, this was my first in the Class A and I hope the last. To be hoenest it all happened so fast it's hard to tell what I did. I know I didn't hit the brakes hard but I don't believe I gave it gas. I slowly applied the brakes and pull the wheel to the right. It didn't try to wip the wheel away from me, just a minimum pull to the left. I too watched the video but appling gas is not you first reaction when you hear BOOM with your window open.

The other good thing with my blow out was the tire stood on the rim and just spun and SMOKED. So all I needed was a tire not a rim too. Buy the way the tires were only 3 years old by date on tire. The guy that changed it said I ran over something, not a defect in the tire. Also I know my TPS works.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I have a problem with the depresing the accelerator on tire blowout advice. While this might work, and might even be the best response in SOME situations, it might not be in others.

Several years ago ion a So. Cal. freeway a tractor trailer changed lanes coming into my lane before I was finished using it. His right front wheel impacted the left rear fender of my car and as he continued into my lane he turned my car sideways. As I looked out my driver's side window I saw the tractor's engine fan and grill. He pushed me about 4/10 of a mile (according to the CHP) blowing out three tires and grinding flat spots on two wheels. While travelling down the freeway sideways I considered turning off the ignition in case the vehicle rolled and a fire ensued but thinking I might need braking and steering if he ever lets me go I opted to leave it on until I rolled then I intended to shut it off.

The point of this story is that one set of responses may not fit all situations. If I have a tire blow on the coach I will PROBABLY slowly apply the brakes BUT if I detect adverse reactions by the coach I hope I will let off the brakes and try something different, including moderate accelerator, and continue to evaluate and adjust as necessary.

Harold
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Harold, I agree with you 100%. It's good to know that giving power could pull you out of a drift, but you will see what doesn't work in a second or two. Kind of like driving in the snow.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
When racing we were taught that if we ever got to spinning to "double down" on the brakes (both feet). I don't suppose that would work with a tractor-trailer pushing you
Old 03-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #21

For those who are skeptical of the Michelin video on handling a blowout, I strongly suggest that they are correctly portraying the physics of the situation, regarding the Vector Forces acting on the motorhome. They are even kind enough in the video to show the Vector Forces changing as the blowout occurs (with the blowout induced side force), then the forces changing again as acceleration is briefly applied which shows the force pulling the motorhome sideways is lessened with acceleration. I believe that Newton's force laws are correctly shown, although technically they did not show a comprehensive force diagram. Rather, they do show the relevant forces involved in this situation. Not only do they summarize the physics involved, they also show you actual video of tests they have run repeatedly to verify the physics theory involved. So we have both the theory and the testing of the video's recommendation.

The only problem in the Michelin video is that briefly accelerating to partially overcome the blowout induced side force is counter-intuitive. Do you believe the physics of Newton? If so, then the Michelin video recommendation is valid.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
If stepping on the accelerator is suppose to help maintain the vehicles straight direction why did Dale, who had the cruise control on - which would "step on the throttle to maintain the set speed", lose control to the point of completely going off the road ?

Harold
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #23

E-Mike,
I like your idea about simulations but such a simulator, for me, would probably only work ONE time. Sequence of events:
1. Simulator surprises me with "blow out" simulation
2. Driver reacts and slams on breaks.
3. Simulator flys through windshield.
4. Driver realizes he shouldn't have slammed on breaks and releases them, holding tight to steering wheel to keep coach straight.
5. Simulator lands on ground straight in front of coach.
6. Kurmunch, thump, thump, thump.
7. Coach comes to a stop.
8. Driver investigates damage on coach and destroyed simulator.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Maintaining speed doesn't decrease the side force. Increasing speed increases the forward force enabling you to get control easier by decreasing the side force. Plus he wasn't in an Alpine.

Mike you sure you are not talking about the "stimulator"