Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #1

Front TV cabinet cooling fans

Has anyone replaced the front noisey TV cabinet cooling fans with the AcoustiFan DustPROOF Premium Quality Ultra Quiet Computer Fan - 80mm AFDP-8025B and if so how did they go in? any cabinet modifications, wiring, etc.. Mel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #2

Mel- the AcoustiFan should substitute straight across, connector & all. OEM howler fans ar installed w/4 wood screws; you can reuse them w/ one in each opposite corner (2/fan) and shouldn't suffer any disastrous level of structural failure.

You can replace the luan cover w/a custom setup to contain two 120mm quiet fans, like the Silenx 120, and wire them into the same circuit. This gives both added cooling airflow (the quiet fans move substantially less air than the howler fans so more of them during the summer is a good idea IMO) and puts airflow in an area that would do something to assist defrosting the windshield if that is ever needed (there is a switch on the center console to run these fans for that purpose; previous Alpines had 6" or so wire cage fans hanging from the cabinets for defrosting).

Old 11-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've been constantly running 2 120mm versions of this fan for over 2 years with no problems.

They're quieter than a worm with sneakers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #4

Mike, I think there are 4 fans up there..you said to replace only 2 or am I wrong about 4 fans? want to order them, if 4 fans, are they 120mm? don't want to enlarge the holes and add diff covers if I don't have to...maybe I should wait till DRR @Qtzite and maybe you could look at them.. thanks and Happy Holidays, Mel
Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
mel,

These are the fans that I use. As stated in my "Latest Projects" post, I changed them to blow into the cabinet. "There are 4 SilenX fans used for cooling the entertainment center. The fans take air in from windshield side and exhaust out through the openings in the wood panels above the DVR and RCA surround sound/DVD toward the rear of the coach. The cabinet doors are adjusted to allow for slight openings across the top."

SilenX 80x80x25mm - 14dBA - 32CFM iXtrema Pro Fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearings (IXP-54-14) - FrozenCPU.com
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #6

Mel- you should have the same setup I do w/4 each 80mm fans. The two 120mm's I discussed are a recommendation to add in a configuration replacing the center vinyl-covered plate behind the TV (this is in addition to replacing the four 80mm howler fans).

The 80mm's double as the "defrost" fans that on older coaches were about 6" diameter and hung down from the bottom of the front cabinet. However, they new 4x80mm setup is up so high, they set halfway or fully behind the drop-down sun shades & as a blower on the windshield to help remove condensation when its humid, you could say they suck or you could say they blow, or you could say they are seriously ineffectual (take your pick).

So if you add two 120's near the center & blowing toward the windshield, you actually get some air on the windshield from the blower function, while adding back some of the airflow lost by using quieter fans. The 120's are also very quiet, and practically non-existent noise-wise vs the ultra-cheap OEM fans.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #7

how do these fans you used compare in being quit to the Acoustifan 80mm fan
AcoustiFan DustPROOF Premium Quality Ultra Quiet Computer Fan - 80mm AFDP-8025B. the one you describe is about $12 cheaper for each. thanks..
Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Mel,

If your question is to me about the 80 mm fans, click the specifications tab on the fan page the link takes you to. The ones I used are quieter and have a higher air flow than the 8025B's.

I have the 1 or 2 on the passengers side powered by a small snap switch style thermostat, as the Directv receiver runs hot all of the time. The others are powered as normal.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #9

Mel,

Two years ago, I replaced all the OEM fans in my 2006 Alpine with the same SilenX 80MM fans that Dale Gerstel mentioned in his post above. At least for my 2006 Alpine, they are a perfect fit, and they are much, much quieter than the OEM fans. Air flow is greater than the same sized AcoustiFan. To be on the safe side for air flow, I added an extra fan high behind the TV. Even with the extra fan, they are quieter than the OEM fans, in total. So, for two years now, I've had no problems at all with them.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #10

using the silen X, did you add the rubber silence pad and change the grill to the wire one? thanks to all for your support..Mel
Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Mel,

I didn't use either. I mounted as stock, except turned around to blow into cabinet. I sealed the stock "air intake" grills. The stock way doesn't cool the top of the cabinet.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #12

Thank you ... Mel
Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Mel:

If you take a look at the website Dale mentioned, you can read the various reviews of each fan. It appears that a good airflow to sound ratio is about 4:1. The ones you mentioned are only 2:1. The SilenX fans seem to be panned as noisier than rated and having a high failure rate. The Scythe Slipstream and Slip S fans are 4:1 and a bit heavier-duty (cheaper too). A reviewer mentions Zalman fans being similarly rated. Not being an Airflow Professional, I can only report what I read and deduce. JMHO.

I'm considering adding a fan to push air into the bedroom, from inside the bathroom cabinet, for when the bedroom doors are closed. I'm (literally) sick of running out of oxygen when I seal up the bedroom to keep out the light. I'd crack a window, but then the birds wake me at 5 am promptly. BTW I usually run out of oxygen about 4 am. Could someone possibly calculate the amount of oxygen depletion needed to finally awake me with racing heartbeat, sweating and panting? (I'm talking about sleeping only! Anything else is my own fault.) Engineers? Respiratory Therapists?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #14

Well, I had not heard until now of any noise or failure rate of the Silen X fans and ordered them and should actually arrive today..I was going to order the Acousti Fans until I heard about the Silen X. Oh well, life goes on.