Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #1

While I am in here, I would like to find someone who has experience (good I hope) with FTA service. Things like unit purchased and what do you use for a dish.

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex 40' quad FD
2007 Hinda CRV
Joe Brunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #2

While I am in here, I would like to find someone who has experience (good I hope) with FTA service. Things like unit purchased and what do you use for a dish.

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex 40' quad FD
2007 Hinda CRV
Old 01-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FTA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Joe, I hope you get some replies as I have been reading up on FREE TO AIR SATELLITE TV also and would love to have someone who is currently doing it tell us all about it.

Best to you - Glenn
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #4

To me the air is always free, its the Direct TV that is expensive. Have no clue what free to air staellite TV is. Please give explanation.
Thank you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

There are Companies that sell receivers that are capable of picking up various satellite signals that are not proprietary for no fees. If you go on line under FTA's, there are many listings of the units and the channel selections available for free. Tapping into Directv and Dish without a contract is illegal. The problem I have encountered is there are many who will sell you the unit and you are on your own to install it and see if it works. No refunds. I am looking for someone who will not only sell me the unit but install it and make sure it works before I pay. Not only do I need the receiver, I will also need a different type dish. I am going to the Quartzsite Alpine Rally and hopefully I will be able to get more info. They have almost everything.

JB
Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a Moderator I will state this very simply....

There is truly "free to air" TV that requires NO subscription and reception is free. TV channels are very limited and in most cases, motorized 30 inch dishes and special receivers are needed.

HOWEVER there is a dark side of FTA where people use various software products to illegally receive DishNet TV. This is theft of service!!

I will not tolerate any specific discussion of the "illegal" aspect of this topic. Such discussion will violate our Terms of Service (TOS) and rules.

If you are truly interested in the REAL FTA TV story, do a Google search for SatelliteGuys where such information can be found.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #7

Flytyer, thank you for the explanation.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #8

I wouldn't get too excited about FTA unless you think of it as a hobby. Here is a good site for information of available programming. As you will see, you may get a few local network channels, PBS, and Weather Channel, plus a lot of religious and foreign language content. To have much variety, you will need to reaim your dish for what you want or pony up for a motorized antenna. Not real RV compatible IMO.