Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Fuel Filter

I want to change my external fuel filter. I believe it is a fuel filter/water separator. I am not sure that the previous owner used the correct one. What is on there now is a Baldwin BF1249. Does anyone know the correct filter for a Cummins 6CTA8.3 (1998). Also, is there an internal filter, harder to get to I would assume.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKassman View Post
I want to change my external fuel filter. I believe it is a fuel filter/water separator. I am not sure that the previous owner used the correct one. What is on there now is a Baldwin BF1249. Does anyone know the correct filter for a Cummins 6CTA8.3 (1998). Also, is there an internal filter, harder to get to I would assume.

That Baldwin number crosses on the Wix cross reference link: Catalogs

to a 14 micron fuel filter/water separator.

A reasonable choice if there is a secondary fuel filter on the engine with fine filter element.

I would certainly change both at the same time.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

Steve,
I'm one of the 1998 owners that you met at Quartzite. I had my coach serviced in Oct 2018 at A&N Diesel in Redding, Ca.
They installed a NAPA #3405 fuel /water separator. They service many Cummins engines in fire trucks and a number of Alpine coaches, so I assume that is one of several correct filters.
I used Fleetguard filters when changed them myself. I can find those numbers if you need them.

You're correct, there is another filter hidden on the starboard side of the engine. Easier to reach from above.

There is also a small hand operated fuel pump adjacent to the filter. You may have to use it to pressurize the system before starting after replacing the filter.

These 1998s are a lot simpler then than the later Alpines, but certainly more complicated than the gas coaches I've had in the past.
I wish more 1998 owners were active on this forum. It would be great to be able to learn from their experience.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #4

GMCGene,
Thanks for the good info, I will check out the Fuel Filter in the engine bay. Now that I know there are two. In my owners manual it only lists the part number for one, so I wonder if they are both the same?? I will check it out.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #5

They are not the same. The engine mounted one is not a water separator and is much smaller than the other one. I'll try to get the number for you.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

Yes, the secondary fuel filter (on the engine) is a fine filter (smaller micron rating).

With two filters, the second is NEVER the same as the primary.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #7

Steve,

NAPA #3358 is the engine mounted fuel filter on my 1998 Alpine.

You should be able to cross reference the NAPA numbers to any other fuel filter brand.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
Steve,

NAPA #3358 is the engine mounted fuel filter on my 1998 Alpine.

You should be able to cross reference the NAPA numbers to any other fuel filter brand.

Using the Wix cross-reference site: Catalogs

That filter element crosses to a 10 micron element. That is pretty course for the secondary fuel filter. Most call for a 5 micron element.

Wix could certainly be incorrect, but I would sure VERIFY with NAPA. I believe that NAPA gold filters are made by Wix.

Tags
fuel