Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Fuel gauge bonkers

All of a sudden earlier today as I was traveling down I5 in Cali, the fuel gauge just started moving up and down - needle on full for 2 sec and then empty for 2 sec, back and forth non-stop. Figured it would fix itself the next time I stopped for a break and the system re-booted. No such luck.
Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

You need to replace the fuel tank sending unit.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

Gauge is not receiving signal from the sending unit (which it reads directly in ohms between 35 & 240), so either a) gauge is busted (probably not), b) wire from sending unit to gauges has come undone someplace, or c) sending unit is kaputzky.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

OK MIke, add this in - it's happening even with the ignition OFF or in the acces position. ??
Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

Call tech support at Actia 574.266.2672 & ask for Patrick Yuen who knows the Alpine gauges cluster.
Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
David, I would like to know what you find out also. My fuel gauge does the same thing when I top-off the tank; but goes back to normal operation after I'm back on the road for a few miles. So far I can live with it, but would like to get an idea if this is a precursor to something more ominous. Thanks, Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

More symptoms:
Section at bottom of speedo that shows miles is lit all the time - even when ignition OFF.
Buzzer sounds continuously when the jacks are down - not just sounding when you put coach in gear - all the time until the jacks are up.
Will contact Actia when I get set up in winter home in Kerrville.
Thanks all.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is very typical of an intermittent ground somewhere. Clean all of the grounds. Challenge is finding all of them. Could also be a loose connection. Not really a symptom of a bad component since the needle would not move in that case.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
All - this happened to us once when I overfilled the tank, and after the tank went below 1/4 down it stopped and has never happened again, go figure. David, if you have used enough fuel, cycle the master switches on the coach, to see if this resets the atcia computer. Again, sounds like fuel sending unit, and to change and be safe make sure fuel level is at least half or below, clean outside where sending unit is real good with any spray cleaner, I use Windex or simple green, this will clear off all the crud and dirt so it does not get into the tank. If you have access to a pit it would be easier, since you have to crawl into that area. Let it go until I get near you and we can do it together if it's big deal. I would find the fuse to those gauges, and disconnect that if it happens while parked key out of the switch/off.

FWIW-sometimes when I turn off the ignition switch, this also occurs, or the fans behind the TV stay on, I just turn the switch back on, then off, even to ACC it seems to finally kill that power. Never thought to check for grounds being lose, that is a good thing to do, getting under there is hard since the seat is in the way. It might be easier if I am parked, level, and the slide is out, then turn that seat around facing into the house, that would give me more room to work back there.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #10

Dave- have you cycled the chassis battery switch in the batt compartment OFF then ON? Now that you are reporting multiple symptoms its sounding more like a Vansco brain fart. If so the battery cycling should clear it.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

Well thanks to our resident expert in Brain Farts, Engineer Mike, all looks well again. I haven't fired it up but did switch the ignition on and all the gauges seem to be working. Will know for sure on the trip over to New Braunfels in 2 weeks. Thanks Mike - see you soon.
David
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #12

Imagine if emitting brain farts paid well. We'd all be rich!!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #13

Think you'd be "stinking rich!"--sorry couldn't help myself......or maybe the dog did it!
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

Now that you mention it, I just checked the ingredients on my pro-biotic. It contains billions of the strain cranius fermenti. Probably explains why my thoughts are so effervescent.

Tags
fuel