Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #1

Fuel Leak - ISC/ISL CM850 Campaign C0805

BEWARE of a diesel fuel line leak for most Cummins ISC/ISL CM850 engines. The problem is with a crack or pin hole in the high pressure steel line from the fuel injector pump to the common fuel rail. The result is to spray a high pressure volume of atomized diesel all over the engine compartment, the back of the coach, and the front of the toad. What a mess. And, fortunately there was no fire. I did not have the water heater or refrigerator turned on while traveling, which would have been a source of ignition if one of them had been turned on.

Cummins apparently is not publicizing this problem, although there is a Cummins Campaign C0805 for this problem. Even though I've had every required service on this engine done at a Cummins dealer since purchase on May 23, 2006 and Cummins has my VIN number, engine serial number, cell phone number, home phone number, name and address on record (and I belong to the Cummins Power Club), they did not notify me of this defect!!!

I've been stranded in a small town of 2,924 people in southwestern Oklahoma since Sunday afternoon (4 days and counting now) waiting for a replacement fuel line from the Cummins factory in Belgium (yes, I said Belgium, Europe!). The NAPA Auto Center mechanic/owner that is helping me was told that this re-designed part, with a new required support bracket, is on back order directly from the factory in Belgium; it is not available from any Cummins dealer, distributor or warehouse, since there is so much demand for it now. After ordering the replacement part on Monday, Cummins sent the wrong part on Tuesday, then Cummins determined that the correct part from Belgium would be expedite shipped to the NAPA Auto Center within 2-3 more business days, if I'm lucky. So, I'm likely stranded here for over a week.

Here are some links to this issue:

http://www.freightlinerchassisowners...20Campagin.pdf

Cummins Campaign - Fuel Line Support Fix - ISL 400s

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm

As you can see, this problem has been known since early 2008. In fact, when this problem was first posted on irv2.com in 2008, I called Cummins to ask if my engine serial number was affected by this Campaign C0805 and was told that it was not!

This is no way to treat a customer!

If you have a Cummins ISC/ISL CM850 engine, then the moral of the story is to harass and hound Cummins until they install this new re-designed part for your engine before you have a breakdown on the road and have to wait for a replacement part from Belgium.

Oh, by the way, I hope to see many of you at the ACA 2010 Heritage Rally in New Braunfels, TX next week, if I can get this thing repaired in time. I might be a bit late getting there.

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Dale, a while ago, one our owners experienced a fire in their rig, could this be the cause of that fire? Did anyone do a check, if that is the case of how it started? I am going to check mine tomorrow. Seems to me when we purchased ours, two recalls were done to it. I will have to check the file I keep in it. But I will look over it tomorrow as well, this is one time I wish I could raise the bed to look into that compartment.

Dale does anyone have before and after pictrues so we would know what it looks like prior to the fix being performed. That would help a bunch of folks.

And as I mentioned, I am becoming more of a diesel mechanic than an RV Tech lately, although today I did fix a water heater.

Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
All - I checked and this recall was performed on my coach back in 2008, when it was in for the cranckcase venting recall. This is a campaign Cummins has been working on for the last two years, since they were aware of it when we took ours in. If you are not sure, cummins was supposed to stamp the data plate on the engine "0610". Here is a copy of a fax another owner in another forum received when he asked Cummins about this recall.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fl_bracket.pdf (221.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Just took the campaign # into Cummins West in San Leandro. According to them my engine # is not part of the campaign. I bought my coach in February of 05. Does this info jive with anyone else's info?
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Forgot to add my engine # 46428106
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
You can look at this PDF file, and then look at your engine and see if it has a bracket holding the fuel line away from anything that vibrates and would cause it to fail.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fl_bracket.pdf (221.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #7

LATEST UPDATE:

1. On 10/17, I discovered the diesel fuel line leak from injector pump to fuel rail.
2. On 10/18, NAPA Auto Center in the small town in southwestern Oklahoma ordered a replacement line from Cummins Southern Plains in Arlington, TX.
3. On 10/19, the wrong part arrived from Cummins Southern Plains. Cummins then ordered the correct part from the Cummins factory in Belgium. After being told there was no part available in the U.S. Cummins said it would arrive in 2-3 business days.
4. On 10/22, NAPA Auto Center called Cummins to track the part. Cummins said that the part would be still another 2-3 business days, since they had such a large backorder.
5. On 10/25, I still had no part, so I asked for a Cummins order reference number so that I could track down what was happening.
6. On 10/25, I called the VP of Customer Service at Cummins Southern Plains, but had to leave a voicemail with the order reference number and a plea for help getting the part. To this day, I have never had a call back from him.
7. On 10/25, I called Cummins Engine Assistance Center at Cummins U.S. headquarters. A very helpful person, asked me for my engine serial number. He told me my serial number was not involved in the Campaigin C0805 to replace this part. Since the fuel line was actually broken, he searched his data base for a U.S. part. He found 3 at Cummins in Sacramento, CA. I asked why Cummins Southern Plains did not find these parts. He said it was because the Cummins distributorships act independently so they don't know what other distributors have, or if they do, they don't necessarily cooperate on backordered parts.
8. On 10/25, the Cummins Engine Assistance Center transferred me to Cummins in Sacramento and said to ask for the parts manager. The parts manager acknowledged that he had 1 such part, but he could not sell it to me. After about 10 minutes of discussion, it became clear that he thought I was from Cummins in Denver and he did not want to ship his highly sought after part to another distributorship. I clarified that I was an individual coach owner stranded with a broken fuel line. He then still didn't want to sell the line to me since he wanted only to help customers in his region. After learning that I was from California, he finally shipped the part to me overnight. The parts manager told me there were 950 of the parts on backorder from the factory.
9. On 10/26, the part arrived, the NAPA Auto Center mechanic and I installed it and ALL IS OKAY. However, the NAPA Auto Center owner had already been charged on his credit card for the part that was to come from Belgium. So, I paid for that part also, and told the owner to send it to me when it arrives, so that I can take it to Cummins and get a refund or if they won't give a refund, I would keep it for a spare.
10. On 10/29, the NAPA Auto Center owner called to tell me the part from Belgium still had not arrived and Cummins Southern Plains told him it might be another 3 months because of the huge backorders, so they agreed to refund the money to NAPA Auto Center.

MORAL of the STORY:

1. Check your fuel line from the injector pump to the fuel rail. If there is no support bracket, you might want to get in the long, long line now to get the bracket.
2. Even if Cummins tells you that your engine serial number is not part of the C0805 campaign, be suspicious any way if you don't have the bracket.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Wow, sounds like you really got the run around. I am surprised because every cummins facility I have ever been into went out of their way to take care of the problem. I would send your experience to Cummins Corporate and make sure you get a reply from a human who can address your concerns.

I believe I mentioned I had the recall done two years ago, I am surprised yours was not done.