Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #1

Fuel leak think it is the fuel pump?

My 2003 8.9 isl is leaking fuel occasionally after being started, then sit and started again. Once driving, I will not see the leak again until trip is over and RV has been parked for a while. The leak is coming from the passenger front side of engine. It will leak a quarter cup or so. l think this is the fuel pump mounted on the engine block with fuel line from fuel filter in right rear compartment. I still haven't been able to pin point the leak exactly since I can't seem to see it actually leak. I just see the spot on the ground and then can see drip from what I think is the fuel pump. Anyone seen this or have any ideas? I assume this fuel under pressure at this point in system.

Thanks

JeepPuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 02:02 AM   #2

I'm not sure of the duty cycle; of the lift pump ; for your particular Cummins engine.
ISB's the lift pump runs continually when the engine does.
ISC's with the CAPS high pressure injection system only runs the lift pump for 30 secs on start up.
But if fuel is leaking out , then air can be drawn into the system , and air in the high pressure side can cause havoc.
Probably to only way to see where the leak is , would be to get under the coach during start up. That's not a job for the faint of heart.
By the passenger side front of the engine do you mean .
Close to the transmission ?
Maybe in the area of this leak , picture posted by the owner of an ISC with a leaking lift pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel manifod Cummins.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	131124  

Old 06-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #3

If leaking on the suction side of the pump ( between the pump and tank ) it will not leak while running.

Once you shut it off and the pump stops, some fuel in the line could then leak out.

While running, air can be drawn in, causing less fuel to circulate thru the high pressure pump.
That can cause running issues under heavy load and injection pump wear issues, since the lower flow of fuel can cause the pump to run hotter then normal.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Sorry, after thinking about front of engine, I forget these pushers have the engine in backward. Yes, it is the passenger front side by transmission. Fuel drips from the bottom of the lift pump as you (Skip) have pointed out in the diagram. Exactly that device. There seems to be a solenoid on the bottom and that is where the drip finishes. Still can't figure out exactly from where in the lift pump the leak is. I have not experienced any performance problems from this YET, but understand that it is probably causing wear and strain on the fuel system. Doesn't appear to be off limits for a DIYer to replace. Any gotchas I should worry about?

I must have the lift pump that runs for 30 seconds and then stops. But doesn't leak at every startup. Maybe current pressure in the lines changes the way the leak behaves.

Thanks Guys for the info. I'll let you know what happens as I dive futher in
Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

If your lift pump is mounted to the bottom of a manifold , like the picture , there have been a couple of posts about a change up gasket, that's between the pump and the manifold.
From what I've read , the original gasket won't tolerate ULS diesel fuel and it shrinks.
If I can find a post with the new gasket P/N , I'll link you to it.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Found this document ; Windows 10 had hidden it on me .

In another post , a member said the gasket was no longer available from Cummins ,( seems they want to sell the whole pump ) but he had found another source. I'll see if he will elaborate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Lift Pumps (1).pdf (214.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

Lift pump on my 03 ISL was leaking--same location as yours. There are three bolts on the top of the pump that hold the pump body to the manifold [where in/out hoses are connected]. Difficult to reach on an Alpine 40ft--no under bed access--but was able to tighten bolts--had to guess at torque specs. Pump has not leaked in the last 5,000 miles. Did checked with local Cummins shop about aforementioned gasket but they no longer offer the gasket separately--must buy the entire pump. If you do find a source for these gaskets--note that gaskets vary by pump serial number. Also, if you do buy a new pump and attempted DIY replacement--be advised, pumps comes with a generic manifold. You will have to configure it with fittings [not provided] to match the hose connections for your rig......
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
hax

My 03 also was leaking and tightening the three bolts on top of the lift pump solved the problem for now. That was about a 1000 miles ago. As Old Scout said, it is a very difficult to reach.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #9

The gaskets mentioned seem to be a recurring problem as a result from shifting to low sulfur diesel. There has been a lot of articles about this but Cummins denies that the shift if fuel was the problem...most other experts think it was. For me, tightening the three bolts takes care of the problem. When mine first started leaking I tightened them and had no more leaks for about 20K mi. Then I noticed it leaking again and retightened them. This has lasted about 15K mi so far. In time, we shall see if it holds.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

Wow, it was loose bolts for me as well. Over one full turn on all three bolts. I can't believe Cummins won't sell just the gasket! And really no idea why they won't admit an issue with gasket material type. Has any tried to cut there own gasket? It sounds like the best fix is to get a gasket that is not continuing to shrink and deteriorate.

Very impressive is those of you that tightened these bolts without bedroom access. My hat goes off to you guys! That is crazy tight. I really didn't want to take bed out, so tried that avenue. No way for this old guy to even get close!

If anyone comes up with a source for a gasket, I would sure like to know.

Much better than buying and configuring a new lift pump!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #11

This problem started january 1, 2005, when they changed the fuel to ultra low sulfur diesel. The older lift pumps, I believe was not designed for the new fuel. Cummins new lift pump was redesigned to use the new fuel. I think thats why they do not support the old pump. In March, of 2010, I went to Cummins, to purchase a new lift pump gasket, part #4928511. The parts dept said they had the gasket but this part was discontinued. I bought 4 gasket at the time for $5.28 ea. I have since used 2 of these gaskets. For me its easy to change the lift pump gasket from the top. I think you would have to replace the old pump with a new pump to permanently solve this problem. I have 150,000 miles on my coach.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I found a source for the Gasket that is listed in the service bulletin on the post from Skip426.

I bought a gasket from Capital Volvo in Montgomery AL 334-262-8856

4928511 GASKET,FUEL PUMP

The gasket was $6.71 and they charged me $1.00 to put in an envelope and send regular mail.

I bought 1 to have as a spare. I check my fuel pump on a regular basis for leaks. If I notice a leak and at home I will change whole pump, if on the road I'll change gasket.

My fuel pump replacement is 4935005 FUEL TRANSFER PUMP, I got this part # from the Cummins Quickserve site using my engine SN. The prices for these are all over the place. Last December Cummins increased the price by ~50% and if you do some searches you'll see prices from ~$600-$350 so shop around.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #13

I was able to also get 2 gaskets from same supplier (Capitol Volvo) in Montgomery. Was not able to find the gasket anywhere else locally.

That's everyone for the great information/feedback.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

Jeep Puller--access to top of engine for 40ft coaches is behind bed, below closet. 2003 and older 40ft have small access door; 04/05 an newer, the entire floor between closet and bed, and carpeted wall under closet is removed [screws holding floor/wall in place are a b---- to findin the carpet. For 38ft and shorter coaches, the bed raises up--so I am told.....

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, leak