Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #1

Anybody ever had an issue with low fuel pressure on the coach side of things, coach has no power and have had issue addressed once before by Cummins, at that time they changed filters to get fuel pressure back but also stated there was still some blockage/lack of pressure from the oem/chassis side, but coach ran fine so didn't worry about it. Problem is back and Cummins has checked out and says issue is not with engine/cummins but with the chassis manufacture(have not gotten details if filters were changed again or not). Cummins will not address chassis issue for me, where could this be addressed(freightliner shop?) or where could I myself look into this issue, when I mention to repair people it's a Peak chassis, I just get deer in headlights stares. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks, Heath 850-723-1089

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #2

Anybody ever had an issue with low fuel pressure on the coach side of things, coach has no power and have had issue addressed once before by Cummins, at that time they changed filters to get fuel pressure back but also stated there was still some blockage/lack of pressure from the oem/chassis side, but coach ran fine so didn't worry about it. Problem is back and Cummins has checked out and says issue is not with engine/cummins but with the chassis manufacture(have not gotten details if filters were changed again or not). Cummins will not address chassis issue for me, where could this be addressed(freightliner shop?) or where could I myself look into this issue, when I mention to repair people it's a Peak chassis, I just get deer in headlights stares. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks, Heath 850-723-1089

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Heath- 1) what year is your unit, what engine?
2) The heart of all our diesel motor systems is the Injection Pump, producing ~3000psi injection pressure. At highway speeds or accelerating up a hill, the IP needs about 5psi pressure on the fuel line that feeds it; this is handled by the Lift Pump. The LP is on the PS of engine, somewhat buried below tubes & wiring. Cummins does a good job of isolating its equipment from the vehicle mfgr's collection of parts by delivering the engine w/LP & IP (along w/a coupla other add-ons like the engine computer) as a package. Vehicle mfgr's don't have to locate these accouterments according to their whims, hence connections & important components are standardized.

First make sure you have fresh fuel filters. A new one should be less than $30.

From the lift pump to the fuel fill you have tubing, one or two (probably one) fuel filter, tubing, fuel tank, and tubing. The very last thing is the fuel fill cap. If Cummins is correct, second change your fuel cap. If your cap is plugged (or if it has been changed for a non-vented type) then the LP will create a vacuum in the tank/fuel-line system that will eventually starve the LP and therefore the engine of fuel. This should cost you about $10-12. If you open the fuel fill after a long run on the highway and hear a suction sound, you need a new cap.

Third, you will have to break down the fuel flow path into parts & check each one for restrictions (tubes & tank). I hear some chatter on Yahoo's diesel pusher discussion group that w/the introduction of ULSD that accumulated goop in people's tanks is being thinned out & sent into the fuel stream, causing plugged filters. Can't say how accurate that diagnosis actually is; could easily be compounded rumor. However, it is likely there are tanks out there w/accumulated goop in them, and that from time to time the goop gets dislodged. IIWY, I'd get about 3 spare filters, change one now, drive for a while, change for a new one & open the old one to see what's inside. In fact if you can get the previous filter & open it, that would be a good data point to have, and help to isolate the issue to the appropriate component above.

Finally, IIWM, I'd get on this & solve it. If you starve the IP for fuel (which is its only source of lubrication), you can ruin it w/in a few thousand miles or less, and they cost a wad (not to mention coach won't run w/a broke IP).
Hope this helps; post your additional info as available.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #4

Coach is 01' w/isc 350 38' fdds, fuel cap is original. I was kind of depressed when the cummins guy said it was all chassis related so I didn't immediately ask if they had changed filters again and then they found it to be the chassis or not but the more I go over the timeline in my head of my call to them to find out the status of my coach the more concerned I am. I called at 3pm and they had not gotten to it yet(which was fine because the shop was full when I dropped it of yesterday) but I got a call about 20-30 minutes later telling me about my last visit w/issue and the chassis was to blame, I don't think filters were changed again- yet.Is there more than one fuel filter, I know of the one in exterior service bay, I'm assuming there is another actually on engine?

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #5

Doesn't sound like filter was changed.
I'm not an expert on the '01 fuel config, but hopefully others here who are will confirm- I believe there is only the one filter.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:30 AM   #6

Mike has good points and I'll add that a new fuel filter doesn't necessarily mean a good fuel filter. The key to me is that it ran well after the last filter change. If it were the Chassis, the filter would have little to do with the problem and the engine would exhibit the same or similar problem.

Also, as your Coach is a FDDS, it only has a single fill cap, which could be the culprit. Get a new cap and relegate the old cap as a spare in case you forget to put it back on and lose it (ask me how I know about this).

Suggestion:
Before you overreact and tear into the system, change the filter and see if there isn't an improvement. It could be that, as Mmike says, the last new filter became clogged by junk in the tank. If this is the case, keep some spare filters and learn to change them yourself. It may require a few changes before the tank junk is cleared and you can resume normal filter change-outs.

Also, I was told by Freightliner of Maine that some the earlier ISC engines had questionable lift pumps. I will be buying a "Just in case" spare pump, which must be identified and purchased according to the serial number of the engine.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #7

Thanks for info. Cummins had not changed filter asked them to do so while I finished up my work for the day, picked it up and no difference, but also no restriction readings were noted this time on ticket or verbally, honestly Ive never had trouble with this cummins(mobile, al) before but this time I don't think anything was done at all, not even the filter was changed in my mind. The first time the fuel issue happened they had claimed they also disassembled fuel pump and cleaned and were able to not have to replace pump. The pump was the only reason I took unit back to them this time to have checked out,if I thought it was just filters, would have taken care of myself, but now ?ing cummins a bit I looked back at previous ticket and there is nothing about cleaning of any pump .Coach is now at a friends shop in Mobile(where it should have been in the first place). My wife has a 99 ford w/powerstroke and recently she also had a issue w/engine running rough, anytime truck gets below 1/8 of tank it starts trying to jump out of frame, fill it up and all is well, have spoken to several friends today that are having same problem with their diesels, can't remember where fuel level was last time w/coach but it is now below 1/4 tank, will fill it up tomorrow. Between my business schedule my sons motocross schedule and all else in our little world, I need a cloning service to get all done and maintained, coach has well over 200,000 miles on her now so I guess i can expect more things to be coming soon. Bob is there a certain brand of filter that is better than another? fleetguard is on it now.

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #8

Fleetguard is a good filter. They are owned by Cummins and have been around for quite a while. Purolator, Luberfiner and NAPA are also good products.

Just make sure you keep the water drained out of them (something you should try now). The electric alert signal doesn't always work properly.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote