Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #15

I believe WRV was using "standard" sending units which graduate from 240Ω empty to 35Ω full,
i.e. 240 w/float in full down position; 35 w/float in full up.
You can read this between the insulated/threaded stud in center of sender to the spade connector on the sender flange or to any good frame ground. Digital VOM is better so no scale confusion as can happen on analog VOMs.
VOM = Volt-Ohm Meter or Multimeter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
I just had my sender unit replaced. The manufacturer is ISSPRO. The part # is: R8926. The sender unit from West Marine did not work. Per the tech that did the testing and install "sender is incorrect for this gauge". Price of the new unit was $50.88. Hopefully this will help others out there that need to replace the sender.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - mine did the up/down thing one time when I purposely overfilled the tank because I was not going to fill up for a while when we were parking for an extended period and would need the Aqua hot for heat. Once I ran it down about 100 miles, it started working again and has not had any problems for over a year. Go figure!!!! But since I am sort of anal, I would just take it out, put in a stainless steel plug (or black iron one)-(galvanized is bad for diesel fuel-zinc breaks down and can ruin injectors) until I was able to send it in and have it rebuilt and then put it back in. I thought mine was on the front of the tank, but I have not gone looking for it either. I have the 143 gallon tank. Although this does not address the original question, I am commenting so we have experiences on all coaches. I could have a lose wire, but since it works now and has ever since the original issue I don't think so.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
I have a similiar issue, sometimes my fuel gague cycles from zero to full for minutes, then after doing nothing it stops. I believe this is either a bad ground or a loose wire between the sender and the dash gauge, one day when I get the time I will look for the problem.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Here are some pics I took of the suel sensor in my 2000 Safari Serengeti. I is removed from the drivers side of the tank in behind the left front wheel. Easy to replace but make sure the fuel level is less then half full or you'll have a real mess. Good luck. By the way, I got mine from Monaco a few years ago then figured out it came from transfer fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	9038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	9039  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	9040  
Old 03-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #20

Just got off the phone with a tech from ISSPRO [fuel sender mfgr]. The R8926 model is a 0-90 ohm range, the R8925 has a 240-33 ohm range. Tech also noted their senders are designed for vertical position in the tank vs our application which is horizonal. Notwithstanding the ohm issue, your tech must have had to bend the float arm to re-position the float in the tank.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
OS,
So far the new unit is working. Looks like it may need a little calibration, will know after a few fill-ups. Thanks for the additional info. I probably should have added that my gage is not an Atica. IIRC E-Mike has mentioned that the earlier coaches have Borg Warner gages.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
OS,
I stopped at Isspro, Portland today thinking I was going to buy the R8926 but he advised I do some checking first, 1-because of the ohm rating and 2-the sender position at the side. because of the 5 hole mounting, he thought the 8925 could work. He mention that he had talked to someone earlier in the day about the same think. Must have be you.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
I am looking for a fuel gage also because mine keeps moving from full to empty and back again and again. Every once in a while it must get tired because it stops for a short time then starts again. I would be nice to find one that would replace it.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #24

Good advice from the fellow in Portland on holding off to buy a sender. Gauge configuration on my 03 [non-Actia] appears to require an R8925 [240 at empty; 33 ohms at full][0-90 ohms on the R8926 only allow for a 1/3 reading and float travel vs ohm feed is reversed]. As for vertical vs horizontal, suspect float arm on R8625 model could be shortened and bent to properly fit in tank [shorting the arm is a std ISSPRO procedure to tailor their senders to fit different size tanks, bending the float arm is not std]

Neutral sender position seems to be at full [33ohms] as disconnecting the sender wire causes the gauge to read full. This might suggest a bad ground or sender wire connection issue for folks with bouncing gauges as an intermittent signal from the sender would cause the gauge to continually bounce off full, regardless of actual fuel level.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
This is the information from my replacement:

030-0A-11386 Fuel Sender $82.28/$57.50
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #26

JL- there once was a document from Actia that described the workings of the 3-gauge set in fair detail. IIRC, there was an entry on approximately page 12 of that doc, under section 6.2 (IIRC) that said something to the effect of, "Missing gauge information will be signaled by wagging the pointer from dial end to dial end." This would seem to indicate on your rig that the J1939 data transmission for fuel level isn't being received by the gauge set.

I believe you can test your sender on the rig by putting your ohm gauge probes across the center post/spade connector on the sender & ground on the side of tank (sender mount screw). You should have an ohm reading between ~35 and 240 depending on level of fuel in tank. If the sender is working, then there is a connection problem between sender & gauge set.

BTW the gauge set is full digital, w/pointer driven by stepper motor depending on % full scale called for by the computer located in the center (speedo) gauge. Replacing it would require doing so w/same-logic gauge, unless you are thinking of adding an analog gauge in parallel w/the Actia. Not sure you you stop the wagging if doing that.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #27

I replaced mine with a new Transfer Flow float switch in 2007 and then sent in my old one for repair which I now carry as a spare. I guess I got one of the last ones but good to know there are alternatives. Replaced the unit myself, a bit of a fiddle but can be done if you back is OK.

1999 MDS
2011 Kia Sorento
Summerfield, Fl.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I too have come to rely on my Silveleaf after suffering for several months with "wild guage syndrome". I have found the Siverleaf to be very accurate with one caveat. If you run your generator constantly, the fuel consumption will not be refelected in the Silverleaf calculation. On 100 gallons of fuel, it's not a big issue...just something to keep in mind.

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote