Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I have a '05 38 FDTS that was manufactured at the end of '04. The specs on the '05 claims 115 Gal tank. About 6 months ago with a 1/4 tank of fuel the engine stalled when I was on an incline. WRV replaced the fuel sensor. About 2 months ago I complained about the gauge reading less than 1/4 tank when the low fuel light would come on, however a fill up would take 75 - 80 gallons. Again WRV sent a new fuel sensor and I had my local mechanic install it. Last weekend I ran out of fuel with a 1/4 tank showing (no low fuel light). The fill up took 84.5 gallons. I am wondering if someone can tell me what size tank was installed on the '04 coaches, I am thinking it was smaller than 115 gallons and my coach was built with the smaller size tank.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have a '05 38 FDTS that was manufactured at the end of '04. The specs on the '05 claims 115 Gal tank. About 6 months ago with a 1/4 tank of fuel the engine stalled when I was on an incline. WRV replaced the fuel sensor. About 2 months ago I complained about the gauge reading less than 1/4 tank when the low fuel light would come on, however a fill up would take 75 - 80 gallons. Again WRV sent a new fuel sensor and I had my local mechanic install it. Last weekend I ran out of fuel with a 1/4 tank showing (no low fuel light). The fill up took 84.5 gallons. I am wondering if someone can tell me what size tank was installed on the '04 coaches, I am thinking it was smaller than 115 gallons and my coach was built with the smaller size tank.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

The stated tank size for our 04 was 100 gallons. I would guess that is what you really have. But, it sure doesn't seem like you should run out of fuel with the fill up taking only 84.5 gallons. I don't think WRV has ever had a fuel tank smaller than 100 gallons, as that is what our 01 had, too.
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #4

On my 2000, at times when tank was at the 1/4 mark, air and/or foam would shut down the fuel delivery. I could spend up to 30 minutes, force-feeding up to 20 more gallons. It was caused by a poor venting problem which was worked on and improved by re-routing the vent along the upper side of the filler pipe.

Last year, while at the factory, I visited with an owner from Alaska who for 3 years put up with the reversal of the fuel lines going to the gen with the one to engine. At 1/4, he was empty; but his gen would operate!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I spoke to Sam at WRV today. He tells me I have a 97 gal tank that they have sent me and my mechanic mounted a 115 Gal fuel sensor in. He is supposed to be sending me the correct fuel sensor. I was wondering of they had reversed the fuel lines, engine with the gen, I will have to run the fuel level down again and then see if the generator will run or take it back to my mechanic and have him trace them. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #6

Dr Dave, regardless of where they ran the fuel lines the coach was advertised as having a 115 Gallon fuel tank. I also have an 05 and certainly assume(horrible word)that we have a 115 gallon tank. If not I am going to request that WRV replace it. I guess the big question is how do we ever establish our position?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #7

When we picked up our 2005 34'Limited #75357 the fuel gauge indicated empty.It appeared the service tech would run out of fuel before he could fill it.We made it to the fueling station and I watched the service tech pump 105 gallons into the tank.So it would seem the tank size of 115 gallons is correct
Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Well I looked under the hood (Gen slide) this weekend and low and behold, the tank says it is 100 gallons. So now I guess it is going to be a decision of how far to push it, advertised spec is 115 gals, tank label is 100.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #9

Suggestion:

Get the price of a 115 gallon tank from WRV, press them for a 13% refund on that amount and call it a straight deal. I'd not want anybody messing with it for the sake of 15 gallons.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #10

Now that people are focused on tanks, check out your water tank capacity. My '03 34FDDS was speced out at 100 gals. I started with an empty tank and accurately metered in 75 gls before the water came out the overflow line. I put the issue to WRV people during a factory tour and got a runaround answer. False advertising???

As for the gas tank, the guages never have been reliable for any length of time. This is not unique to WRV coaches either. I, long ago, quit relying on gas gauges and go by known mileage and the resetable odometer. I ignore the guage as mine has been cucoo since my warranty expired.
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
DrDAVECA, There is one thing that you might check out on your coach. The fuel supply to the engine mightbe connected to the genset pickup by mistake. If it is, the engine will not be able to use the last 20-25% of the fuel in the tank. If you should run out again (BUMMER!), see if the genset will run. Have the fuel lines switched if it will.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Louie, thank you for the suggestion, although I am not sure I will run out of fuel to try it. This weekend I was working on it and tried to start the generator. It took about over 3 minutes of cranking before it finally started. so I am pretty sure that there was air in the lines, so I assume it was also out of fuel.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

If I remember correctly, pressing the gen start switch down on the back of the switch will prime the generator. You will hear a clicking noise. This might help the long cranking time.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Latest in the fuel sensor saga, as you saw from my prior post on June 30th, WRV finally figured out that I have a 100 gal tank, not the 115 specified for a 2005, so they told me they were shipping me a fuel sensor (this will be the third one they have put on the coach) for the smaller tank (they had previously sent one for 115 gal tank and that is why the gauge showed 1/4 and I ran out of fuel). I heard from WRV yesterday, seems that after telling me "the girl that does the shipping is on vacation for 2 weeks" so they were going to look on her desk for the order, now they are out of stock and the vendor will not ship to WRV because of prior payment problems so it will be no earlier than the first week in August before they expect to ship one.

I thought all the "payment problems" were cleared up when Monomoy came on board around the first of the year. Anyone heard about what is going on?

btw - I am now filling the tank based upon miles, not the gauge!