Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question for the op? Did you put the fuel treatment in before fueling or afterward?

2004 Dolphin Basement AC
7KW Onan Marqui Gold
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
I am from the cold country.

When driving north you need to plan on having empty tanks where you can fill with cold conditioned fuel. Truckers do it all the time.

I spent one winter 600 miles north of Winnipeg and just kept my tank full of local diesel fuel and no additives. Plugged in overnight for start in the morning.
Every motel has available plugs in the parking lot. Our appartment had parking lot plugs.

Its fairly easy getting along for us in the north with diesels.

Yes I have pump $1.00 of gas for every $10.00 of diesel in the past.
But after a while stop. It was dropping the MPG of my car. My son did it more then me with no problem. It was VW instructions.

Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
a friend of mine uses kerosene, he never had a gel problem. and I think the kerosene is cheaper than any of the additives out there.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Ok, old post, but here is what I do, and never have I had a problem with fuel issues.

1. I put in a quart of Power Service Fuel Additive (red top bottle-black top bottle or the cleaner which is the green top bottle) if either/or the following conditions are going to exist.

a. When I am in traveling status for several days. I add one bottle fuel treatment to every third fuel up. NOTE: I never let the level in the tank based on the fuel gauge to go below 1/2 empty.

b. When I know I am going to lay over for at least 7 days to months in a place, and I have a full tank of treated fuel prior to stopping period.

c. If circumstances require me to drive in/through/be in area where the weather is going to be cold below 35F or below. I treat the tank every fill up if transiting an area, or stopping for a period like B above.

Carry one complete set of fuel filters for the genset, ISL or ISC engine you have in your coach and if HH equipped, a spare filter for that unit too. Loves and other truck stops use bio fuel and the percentage is not supposed to be over 10-15%, but my guess is it's much higher than published, hence my every third fill up treatment routine. Wal-Mart seems to have the best prices on the three different types of Power Service Fuel Treatment. It's in the mid 20's here at night, where I am all week, and I have no fuel issues with the HH unit.

Points to consider: I never overnight without a full tank prior to the stop. Why, emergencies might require me to get up and leave before a regular departure, and it might be such an emergency that I don't have the time to stop for fuel. I know based on how my coach works, if my tank is full I can count on between 800-1100 miles before I will have to fill it up again, if I need to be moving that far quick. I know that I have driven between 300-450 plus miles if the fuel gauge is down to 3/4 full (1/4 down). I know that means I am going to purchase about 45 gallons or so of fuel. I know that if I am down 1/2 tank, I am going to purchase around 70-90 gallons of fuel, depending on the terrain and speed. I try to keep my speed between 60-63 mph, which gives me the best speed/distance in a driving day, it's also a safe speed in case I need to panic stop. If panic stop conditions present, I try to engage the emergency flashers while doing this stop so drivers know something is going on they need to be aware of, it might have prevented a rear end collision the other day, when the car stalled in the middle of the road without warning and I need to stop quick.

I have never been in temps below about 18F at night, and no problems. I hopefully am prepared with how I treat my fuel, so far no problems. Some may think I am wasting my money, well it's mine to waste, and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of a cure.

NOTE: I make it a point to plan my fuel stops based on a 250-350 travel day. I only stop at Flying J or Pilot stations, why, I get the best discounts at those stops, I know the fuel is clean, I know in the winter starting around the middle of October, they start to treat the fuel for winter driving, did I mention I get a good discount with them.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote

fuel, winter